Khalil Mack: Take or Trade Down

BigBuff423

It all depends on what position they think he can excel at in the NFL.

I actually think it would be a waste to play him at OLB in a 4-3 but I also don't think he is a 4-3 DE so where would they play him? You don't take a situational pass rusher with the 9th pick

He is by no means a situational pass rusher...the guy lead his conference in interceptions and forced fumbles as a senior. If that's not a guy that can play OLB in the NFL, I don't know what is...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what position they think he can excel at in the NFL.

I actually think it would be a waste to play him at OLB in a 4-3 but I also don't think he is a 4-3 DE so where would they play him? You don't take a situational pass rusher with the 9th pick

? He is the all-time NCAA leader in tackles

This dude could be special...Mayock said he would take him at #1 and that he has no weaknesses...pair him with Kiko and Manny and we have one of the best LB corps in the NFL

Edited by matter2003

BTW- apparently Mel Kiper just said today that Mack was in the discussion as the #1 overall pick. This comes on the heals of Mayock saying the same thing. It will be a pretty huge upset if he lasts past the top 5, let alone #9.

Khalil Mack has been the center-piece of many fans swoon during this Off-Season and the NFL Combine only elevated his stock with Mike Mayock saying that if he had the 1st Overall pick, he would Draft Mack. However, a couple of recent mock drafts have Mack falling to Buffalo at #9, which would make some of us extremely delighted if by some stretch of cosmic justice that were to happen. However, in my humble opinion Mack is BEST suited for an OLB spot in a 3-4 based on athelticism, speed, instincts, and size. This got me thinking, what if at #9 Mack was indeed still available, given the state of the BILLS - do you think it would behoove Buffalo best to run to the podium and hit the Mack button or if suitors come calling and willing to add in seriously valuable Draft picks, however you may define them, do you trade back and allow Mack to stack the Draft picks for Buffalo??

I'm in quite a quandry about this one...I would LOVE to see Mack in a BILLS uniform, despite what I said above about his best fit as an OLB in a 3-4, because his strength, size, and instincts would prove to be a huge advantage to an emerging Defense in the NFL. However, unless the BILLS break the bank (which we know they won't do) there are still quite a few positions that could use some serious upgrage in talent, i.e. RT, TE, LB (of course), outside WR, and LG just to mention a few. Getting some quality Draft picks, not 4th to 7th rounders alone will do it, would help the youth movement and gain real talent in a year when the Draft is its richest in quite some time. Food for thought and something that apparently some Draft-niks believe is not only possible, but probable....interested in this board's state of mind.

If this kid is on the board when we are on the clock, you will see a quick pick by us and it will be him. Now, that may change if we do something between now and then in FA at the LB spot, but barring some major FA splash, this kid will be our pick (assuming he makes it there). And I do think he will make it to us and here is why.

Last year, 3 of the first 4 picks were OT. There are 3 OT in this draft that all are better prospects than the 3 that went last year in the first 4 picks. I would be shocked if at least 2, if not all 3 go in the first 8 picks. Then you have Clowney, Watkins, and at least 2 QB's and possibly 3 that will likely go as well. I really feel that Mack will be there at 9, and if he is (assuming again no FA moves at LB) he will be our pick.

If this kid is on the board when we are on the clock, you will see a quick pick by us and it will be him. Now, that may change if we do something between now and then in FA at the LB spot, but barring some major FA splash, this kid will be our pick (assuming he makes it there). And I do think he will make it to us and here is why.

Last year, 3 of the first 4 picks were OT. There are 3 OT in this draft that all are better prospects than the 3 that went last year in the first 4 picks. I would be shocked if at least 2, if not all 3 go in the first 8 picks. Then you have Clowney, Watkins, and at least 2 QB's and possibly 3 that will likely go as well. I really feel that Mack will be there at 9, and if he is (assuming again no FA moves at LB) he will be our pick.

I really hope you're as right about this as you were about Kiko. The luxury of having two LBs that never have to leave the field and can play in any front would be nice.

GO BILLS!!!

While I hope you're right, I respectfully disagree. I think the QBs are going to drop.

I think the top 5 are Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Manziel, & Watkins in no particular order. After that, I suspect the next 3 picks will be some combination of Matthews, Lewan, and either Bridgewater or Bortles (the other I believe will drop like a stone Geno Smith-style).

While I hope you're right, I respectfully disagree. I think the QBs are going to drop.

I think the top 5 are Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Manziel, & Watkins in no particular order. After that, I suspect the next 3 picks will be some combination of Matthews, Lewan, and either Bridgewater or Bortles (the other I believe will drop like a stone Geno Smith-style).

I have the same sense about the QBs. There are just too many far more talented players to be had, even for QB-starved teams. These are transcendent players I'm talking about. The QBs just don't have that kind of talent. Grab a Mack or Clowney and live to fight another day.

GO BILLS!!!

He has the necessary athleticism to play OLB in any front and for all three downs.

GO BILLS!!!

4-3 OLBs generally cover more then they pass rush and isnt he best at rushing the passer?

He is by no means a situational pass rusher...the guy lead his conference in interceptions and forced fumbles as a senior. If that's not a guy that can play OLB in the NFL, I don't know what is...

I think you guys missed my point. I was not calling him a situational pass rusher, simply stating if he doesnt fit at 4-3 OLB or 4-3 DE where would he play?

Edited by Max997

4-3 OLBs generally cover more then they pass rush and isnt he best at rushing the passer?

I think you guys missed my point. I was not calling him a situational pass rusher, simply stating if he doesnt fit at 4-3 OLB or 4-3 DE where would he play?

See my response earlier in the post as a suggestion.....

I have the same sense about the QBs. There are just too many far more talented players to be had, even for QB-starved teams. These are transcendent players I'm talking about. The QBs just don't have that kind of talent. Grab a Mack or Clowney and live to fight another day.

GO BILLS!!!

How funny would it be if Houston passed on Manziel and then picked Derek Carr in the 2nd round? Their fans would literally revolt.

He's outstanding in coverage as well. He can do it all. One of those players you have to account for on every snap. He would really add an element to our defense that's unique.

GO BILLS!!!

He's outstanding in coverage as well. He can do it all. One of those players you have to account for on every snap. He would really add an element to our defense that's unique.

GO BILLS!!!

I havent seen enough of him to say he is good in coverage but i know he is a good pass rusher and IMO might be wasted as an OLB in a 4-3

the Bills def need another OLB so if thats he best position great

Edited by Max997