Jason Peters, Eagle for life (apparently)

dave mcbride

"And myself for being a fat, douchebag who pouted like a child and put his teammates' health at sake when I showed up out of shape."

Still denying the fact we traded away a franchise LT because Ralph was too cheap to pay him I see. Funny he says once he hit Phlly the training, coaching etc was MUCH different and the guy goes on to make probowls. So why wasn't he fat, pouting blah blah blah in Philly? At some point fans need to see how ****ty this franchise really is and deal with it

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect to Buffalo giving him a chance, the reason he was elevated to the main roster was that the Giants put a claim on him off the practice squad. It's not like he was totally under the radar and would never see an NFL roster if it weren't for the Bills.

Mouse developed him into a really good O lineman!

Still denying the fact we traded away a franchise LT because Ralph was too cheap to pay him I see. Funny he says once he hit Phlly the training, coaching etc was MUCH different and the guy goes on to make probowls. So why wasn't he fat, pouting blah blah blah in Philly? At some point fans need to see how ****ty this franchise really is and deal with it

Not sure the training and coaching staff should be held responsible for the all twinkies he put away while holding out. The player is accountable. I'm not advocating either way for whether he should have gotten the $ he wanted because am unfamiliar with the details surrounding the situation, but to blame the team for him being overweight is extreme. Edited by YoloinOhio

How did Mouse do with the other guys under his tutelage?

Not good. His successors Kugler and D'Alessandris got better results. I don't know if he was half-retired when he came to Buffalo but he failed to produce results commensurate to his reputation with the Giants.

How did Mouse do with the other guys under his tutelage?

Not that great from what I saw, but then he was restricted with some pretty bad players like Melvin Fowler at center, RT Langston Walker, LG Derrick Dockery.

He brought in a zone blocking scheme to Buffalo.

After he retired from the Bills he turned his coat...http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/19099/jim-mcnally-a-secret-weapon-for-jets-o-line

What made the Price situation that much more bizarre was the fact that they drafted MaGahee with that pick, who was half dead. As I recall, he missed 20 games after being drafted, and they of course knew he was seriously hurt.

They had a HUGE need at guard that year too, and Eric Steinbach was sitting there.

The Bills litany of stupid, mindless draft picks is virtually endless. All we can do is hope.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills went thru this crazy decade-long period of self-inflicting wounds and then making matters worse trying to mend them on draft day. I guess if they take a guard in round 2 then that cycle isn't done, but it's certainly a need.

The Price departure necessitated the drafting of Lee Evans. Had Price stayed in his comfort zone with Bledsoe perhaps Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers end up in Buffalo with one of those two first rounders used on Evans and Losman. Drafting for need has absolutely killed the Bills..........and yet fans still see the draft as a way to patch holes. When Marv came in he actually championed the idea of drafting for need.....which was so batsh*t crazy that even teams that treated the draft like that wouldn't dare admit it.

You know a guy who often gets forgotten is Jonas Jennings. He is another very good player that they let walk but he is forgotten because he didn't go on to success like so many of the good ones the Bills have passed on. Peters allowed them to let Jennings walk. Jonas was a very high quality blocker.....certainly very comparable to Cordy Glenn at the same stage. He didn't allow a sack in I believe 10 starts in his rookie season......which was crazy because his QB was a crash test dummy.

IIRC Jennings couldn't make a through a whole season...

The simple fact is that Peters wanted to be paid as one of the top LTs in the league, and deserved to be paid that. The Bills decided they would only pay him 8-9 million. So they traded him away. It was an understandable position, just a very, very bad one.

It had nothing to do with his earlier contract or holding out or not liking Buffalo. He liked Buffalo, he wanted to be paid what the going rate was for his position and talent, and the Eagles were not only willing to do that but trade a #1 for him, too. That shows you how much he was worth. Now they signed him to another 10m a year contract. Which franchise seems to know how to pay and evaluate players?

IIRC Jennings couldn't make a through a whole season...

You recall correctly. He is a good player who people forget that the Bills allowed to leave. He was also an example of the kind of well managed departure that is more common with better organizations. He was very good, but he was also hurt often and his replacement was on the roster. It's easy to say "you can't keep all of you're good players" whenever a key player departs or is traded to avoid paying them a market contract......but the Bills have routinely been $20M+ under the cap for the last decade and repeatedly and unnecessarily let good players walk without having anything close to a replacement on the roster and it has had an adverse effect on their draft success.

The Bills went thru this crazy decade-long period of self-inflicting wounds and then making matters worse trying to mend them on draft day. I guess if they take a guard in round 2 then that cycle isn't done, but it's certainly a need.

The Price departure necessitated the drafting of Lee Evans. Had Price stayed in his comfort zone with Bledsoe perhaps Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers end up in Buffalo with one of those two first rounders used on Evans and Losman. Drafting for need has absolutely killed the Bills..........and yet fans still see the draft as a way to patch holes. When Marv came in he actually championed the idea of drafting for need.....which was so batsh*t crazy that even teams that treated the draft like that wouldn't dare admit it.

I will quibble with this, because the Bills have placed a premium on drafting for need over BPA since the John Butler days and Dwight Adams was the head scout. The difference between those days and recent history is that the team more often than not hit on its draft picks and managed to keep the key players it needed to keep. Not so since about 2002.

You recall correctly. He is a good player who people forget that the Bills allowed to leave. He was also an example of the kind of well managed departure that is more common with better organizations. He was very good, but he was also hurt often and his replacement was on the roster. It's easy to say "you can't keep all of you're good players" whenever a key player departs or is traded to avoid paying them a market contract......but the Bills have routinely been $20M+ under the cap for the last decade and repeatedly and unnecessarily let good players walk without having anything close to a replacement on the roster and it has had an adverse effect on their draft success.

We certainly have let our players leave. IMO Clements wasn't worth it, if he gave up one more 4th and a million...ugh....

We have spent money, but we, as previously stated, blew it on countless Walker's and Dockery's...

We drafted poorly and signed bums at FA time while neglecting our own (to a degree).

I would never begrudge a guy for squeezing whatever he can from the man paying his salary, so...good for Peters. If they want to continuously sink that money into their LT, good for them.

But if Peters was still a Bill, we would be no better off than we have been since he left.

This is true, and I think it's important that Whaley -- presumably -- is now saying "stop the madness" with regard to letting Byrd leave either through a trade or FA. In the bb.com story today, he's quoted at length about how much he wants to keep Byrd. I suspect a battle is going on over Byrd, and I sure hope Whaley wins.

Edited by dave mcbride

this

Whenever this guy's name comes up around the league, they speak of a multiple Pro Bowl, franchise LT. His name comes up around TBD and its nothing but negativity and personal attacks.

The guy has done extremely well since leaving.

This crying about Peters makes sense. We used to go 7-9 when he was here. Now we only go 6-10. The Eagles have won a ton of playoff games with Peters. They beat the Bills a few years ago with Peters. The Bills didn't find a good LT in the 2nd round a few years ago. We didn't draft a starting C and a captain with a pick from the Peters' trade. Jason Peters had his business like a professional and the Bills are 100% at fault.

I hate this team so much yet I come here everyday to talk about how terrible I think they are. :)

The Iggles are really putting some money down. How far under the cap are they? How confident are they that they have enough talent for continued success? Their team was not that impressive this year and barely made the playoffs.

ESPN - Eagles ink WR Riley Cooper to 5-year, $25M deal, C Jason Kelce to 6-year, $37.5M deal, sources tell ESPN

This crying about Peters makes sense. We used to go 7-9 when he was here. Now we only go 6-10. The Eagles have won a ton of playoff games with Peters. They beat the Bills a few years ago with Peters. The Bills didn't find a good LT in the 2nd round a few years ago. We didn't draft a starting C and a captain with a pick from the Peters' trade. Jason Peters had his business like a professional and the Bills are 100% at fault.

I hate this team so much yet I come here everyday to talk about how terrible I think they are. :)

The problem with letting Peters go is what happened after that as tried to replace him. Bringing in Dockery & then trying Walker @ LT. How much money did they flush down the toilet on those 2 guys. That money could of easily been used to keep Peters here & happy. No you draft Glenn & you got your bookend tackles that could be compared favorably to just about any pair of tackles in the league. When you hit on a rookie free agent in most cases you should try to keep him. Peters had every right to demand top tackle money, he was one of the top tackles in the league & apparently still is. The way the Bills do business has them spinning their wheels every year. They let a guy like Clements go & use their top pick to replace him the next year. Trade Lynch & they use3 a pick on Spiller. Don't be surprised if they let Byrd walk they use their top pick on the safety from Alabama. The problemwith doing this is you are never building a tea your always just replacing guys. Are you going to over pay some guys, absolutely, but that is the price of being a winning franchise, which clearly the Bills are not.