Atlanta to release S Thomas Decoud

YoloinOhio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/report-falcons-set-to-release-safety-thomas-decoud/

To save cap space,,,anyone know if he is any good? Just in case?

Made the Pro Bowl in 2012. Not in Byrd's neighborhood, but 7 years experience (played 6 seasons as starter), 14 INTs

Here he is helping cause Chandler's fumble in OT (gulp)

460x.jpg

I've heard of him...of course, it was amidst howls of rage and frustration as we blew the Atlanta game.

In all seriousness, if he's willing to take a contract similar to what we have been offering Byrd, I don't see why we don't tag and trade at this point. Both sides in the Byrd negotiations seem to be slamming against a brick wall. If we can bring in a decent replacement and get something for our pick by trading Byrd to Cleveland, it seems better than nothing. (Though I would like nothing more than both sides working out a long term deal)

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I've heard of him...of course, it was amidst howls of rage and frustration as we blew the Atlanta game.

In all seriousness, if he's willing to take a contract similar to what we have been offering Byrd, I don't see why we don't tag and trade at this point. Both sides in the Byrd negotiations seem to be slamming against a brick wall. If we can bring in a decent replacement and get something for our pick by trading Byrd to Cleveland, it seems better than nothing. (Though I would like nothing more than both sides working out a long term deal)

If we can get someone like Decoud, Ward or Delmas for $3-5m per year on the open market as well as a 2nd round pick for Byrd in a tag and trade it's a no brainer to tag and trade him. Instead of paying him the $8.7m tag or his asking price of $8-10m per year, we'd get a decent to above average safety in place of him as admittedly "elite", have enough money left over to get an average to above average LG and a high draft choice in a stocked draft. That, to me, is a no brainer--you can shore up 3 spots (or about 1/7th of your starters) for the next 3-4 years with one fell swoop. I'd take that trade all day long....

I'd never choose decoud at 7+ over Byrd at 9. If Byrd walks there are some options out there but you don't just offer them byrds deal.

If we can get someone like Decoud, Ward or Delmas for $3-5m per year on the open market as well as a 2nd round pick for Byrd in a tag and trade it's a no brainer to tag and trade him. Instead of paying him the $8.7m tag or his asking price of $8-10m per year, we'd get a decent to above average safety in place of him as admittedly "elite", have enough money left over to get an average to above average LG and a high draft choice in a stocked draft. That, to me, is a no brainer--you can shore up 3 spots (or about 1/7th of your starters) for the next 3-4 years with one fell swoop. I'd take that trade all day long....

Ward will not be 3-5m, he will be 7-8 probably. Delmas would have big savings because his knees are a big risk. Delmas (big risk), 2nd rounder (risk) and one other moderate free agent (who knows) -- to hit 100% on those is certainly optimistic.

I'd love to sign TJ Ward AND get a 2nd rd pick from the Browns for Byrd. I don't know why they wouldn't just hang onto Ward, who is a year younger and similar player to Byrd. Cost a couple mill less and no need to give anything up, plus you keep your D together. I don't see Byrd's "knowledge of the Pettine defense" worth more money and a draft pick. But, it is the Browns, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know enough about Delmas or Decoud to say whether they would be OK replacements at SS. I would be fine moving AW to FS.

Clowney " He has openly lobbied for Atlanta to trade up for him." http://www.stltoday....b9c16fad25.html

Seems like Atlanta will go for it this year, like they went for Julio Jones. Could Byrd be on their radar also?

Too many holes to trade up. They can't afford that. The only way they could is if Clowney falls out of the top 3, then they value would be a 3rd and maybe a pick next year, but it would be way too much to move into the top 3. They are not making a big deal on local radio about what Clowney said.