Has anyone new risen to top 8

....lybob

True it's joking around, but this thread really had nothing to do about Sam (a mid rounder at best) so maybe that joking needed a different thread even though Jboyst seems to like to insert his small humor everywhere indiscriminately (no pun).

it was about rising stock and post combine stories. His stock Shirley sank.

Clownley likely lost some, too. But he is still a freakish athlete and top 8. If he was there for us, though, I might be down with taking him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it was about rising stock and post combine stories. His stock Shirley sank.

Clownley likely lost some, too. But he is still a freakish athlete and top 8. If he was there for us, though, I might be down with taking him.

No, it was about a question if anybody performance (who previously was not in the top eight) could have propelled them into the top eight - not about a gay player who was thought of as at best a mid-round type tweener and who's lackluster performance probably moved him to six round / UFA status - you wanted to make a mild political statement (NFL is PC) and/or brag about how strong and fast you are, which would be cool with me in either a thread you started or at least a Mike Sam thread but here it is a LAM interruption of a conversation.

the 3 QBs, clowney, Robinson, Mack, Mathews, and Watkins. I don't think anything changed there.

I should add, guys like Lewan, Ebron, gilbert, and Evans made a case for being top 10 picks.

The 3QBs aren't top 10 talent IMHO, so The Bills are fortunate that QB lusting teams are drafting ahead of them. Otherwise three other guys - the likes of Mosley, Evans, Barr, or Ebron would likely not be there at 9, and the pick would probably be Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix and Bill in NYC's head would explode.

NFLdraftscout.com lists the top 50, here are the top ten. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24457334/nfl-draft-top-50-draft-board-20

Bridgewater

Clowney

Robinson

Mack

Matthews

Barr

Watkins

Ebron

Bortles

Evans

So, two new to the top ten look to be WR Mike Evans & TE Eric Ebron. Both should be available when the Bills pick.

A lot of teams are talking about OT Taylor Lewan, and Mayock stated he is a top ten pick

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/1/24/5339316/2014-nfl-draft-top-200-big-board

has a different outlook

Not top 8 WRT to the OP, but some players I think may have improved their stock a lot at the combine and are looked at as higher picks than prior to the Combine (or answered some questions) are Lewan (measurables/workouts), Shazier (size,measurables, workouts), Jordan Matthews (40 time), Moncreif (measurables), Bullough (explosiveness), Roby (explosiveness, speed, workouts), Dennard (40 times) and Evans (drills).

Not top 8 WRT to the OP, but some players I think may have improved their stock a lot at the combine and are looked at as higher picks than prior to the Combine (or answered some questions) are Lewan (measurables/workouts), Shazier (size,measurables, workouts), Jordan Matthews (40 time), Moncreif (measurables), Bullough (explosiveness), Roby (explosiveness, speed, workouts), Dennard (40 times) and Evans (drills).

Evans is the most interesting or the group there because he is either loved or loathed. You have to think he knows this and performed under pressure quite well.

another one is going to be Dennard. He reminds me of honey badger in his athleticism. And I think a team is going to recognize that and "reach" for him

Evans is the most interesting or the group there because he is either loved or loathed. You have to think he knows this and performed under pressure quite well.

another one is going to be Dennard. He reminds me of honey badger in his athleticism. And I think a team is going to recognize that and "reach" for him

Loathed? With his 40 time he's a top 10 selection. Some questioned him earlier, but because they were waiting for his combine results.

Loathed? With his 40 time he's a top 10 selection. Some questioned him earlier, but because they were waiting for his combine results.

I was talking about this in another thread also. His combine was really impressive. He could be a more physical Randy Moss or something. What gave me pause about his was the 'highlight' tape someone posted a couple months ago. It looked very average to me. I really haven't spent a ton of time studying him, so I could certainly be wrong, but something just didn't seem great to me. Evans looked sluggish and made a lot of catches simply because he was so physically dominant, not because he was a better WR.

Who knows, Buffalo drafts him and I def won't be upset, just a little more worried.

I was talking about this in another thread also. His combine was really impressive. He could be a more physical Randy Moss or something. What gave me pause about his was the 'highlight' tape someone posted a couple months ago. It looked very average to me. I really haven't spent a ton of time studying him, so I could certainly be wrong, but something just didn't seem great to me. Evans looked sluggish and made a lot of catches simply because he was so physically dominant, not because he was a better WR.

Who knows, Buffalo drafts him and I def won't be upset, just a little more worried.

I should temper my statement. He's a top 15 pick.

It's not a PC rule that every team had to see him. It's called doing due diligence about your job and being a professional. You may be stronger and faster but you are half the man he is.

Isnt Sam half Man half Woman, so that would make him a quarter of the man that he is. Wow that's insulting bro. Btw who are you to call someone half the man of anyone..?

Mike Evans 4.50-4.47-4.52 40 times.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-02-23/2014-nfl-combine-results-wrs-40-yard-dash-40yd-times-scores-bench-press-reps-225-lee-watkins-evans-cooks-benjamin-landry

"Let's not forget who his competition is. Evans plays in the SEC and goes up against some of the best defenses in the league. When facing Alabama, Mike was able put up 279 yards and a TD."

"Even when Evans is covered, he is open. He uses his giant size to almost always come down with the ball when the ball is up for grabs.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/2/5264772/scouting-the-draft-mike-evans-wr-texas-a-m

almost 44% of his catches were from coming back to the QB, as Manziel scrambles

The 3QBs aren't top 10 talent IMHO, so The Bills are fortunate that QB lusting teams are drafting ahead of them. Otherwise three other guys - the likes of Mosley, Evans, Barr, or Ebron would likely not be there at 9, and the pick would probably be Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix and Bill in NYC's head would explode.

If we take Ha Ha Dix I think I'll throw up on myself.

Basically the Bills be saying on one hand we don't value Safetys to pay top $ but on the other hand they value them enough to take a safety that high in the draft.. That would make me sick. Especially since Ha Ha Dix is overrated in my opinion. Reminds me of another Whitner. Should be drafted 16-32 range. If this happens The Dougie fresh combo will look just like are old regimes and that would be disheartening.

he should be a top 15 pick but I do not understand why some feel he is worth a top 5 pick and everyone else says he is a bust. A guy with that much talent should have grey area, at the least. Granted more people are positive then negative about him but it is shocking to see there is not much middle ground. It reminds me of people talking about Larry Fitzgerald when he came out and only played at Pittsburgh.

I know. I interpreted lybob's question with regards to what players would be picked in the first 8, so we could try to see who would be there at the 9th pick.

I don't think anything has changed wrt the top 8 picks, but I do think several players did well enough that they will be considered worthy of being considered a "top 10 pick", and therefore could be selected 6-8.

I think the top 6 picks, in no order, are 3QBs, Clowney, Robinson, and Mack. I think Mathews and Watkins are part of the top 8, but they've been pushed back toward the end of the 8, making it quite possible that one of them slides to 9 if there's a team that likes one of the handful of players bunched up after these 8.

I think that "bunch" who could be justified on the margin at 8 or earlier includes: Barr, Lewan, Mosely, Evans, Ebron, and Gilbert. If one of Atlanta, TB, or the Vikes likes one of these players over Mathews or Watkins, then one of Mathews/Watkins slides to the Bills at 9.

So my answer to the OP is that, yes, I think these players performed well enough to be discussed in the top 8 based on the combine and could push someone like Mathews or Watkins to 9.

I know. I interpreted lybob's question with regards to what players would be picked in the first 8, so we could try to see who would be there at the 9th pick.

I don't think anything has changed wrt the top 8 picks, but I do think several players did well enough that they will be considered worthy of being considered a "top 10 pick", and therefore could be selected 6-8.

I think the top 6 picks, in no order, are 3QBs, Clowney, Robinson, and Mack. I think Mathews and Watkins are part of the top 8, but they've been pushed back toward the end of the 8, making it quite possible that one of them slides to 9 if there's a team that likes one of the handful of players bunched up after these 8.

I think that "bunch" who could be justified on the margin at 8 or earlier includes: Barr, Lewan, Mosely, Evans, Ebron, and Gilbert. If one of Atlanta, TB, or the Vikes likes one of these players over Mathews or Watkins, then one of Mathews/Watkins slides to the Bills at 9.

So my answer to the OP is that, yes, I think these players performed well enough to be discussed in the top 8 based on the combine and could push someone like Mathews or Watkins to 9.

with the hype these OT's are getting I can't see them all falling that low. And it might be funny seeing a team trade up to 7 for an RT.

with the hype these OT's are getting I can't see them all falling that low. And it might be funny seeing a team trade up to 7 for an RT.

I know it wasn't too clear, but what I'm trying to say is 1) Mathews (or Watkins) could slide if Barr or Gilbert get pick in the top 8; and 2) Lewan is not viewed as a reach if picked at 9.