Can Cognitive Neuroscience Research Help EJ Manuel See Entire Field?

I agree that the $6.00 price tag for the downloadable app makes it sound like a Mickey Mouse approach to things. But Seitz, the UC Riverside professor who created and tested the visual training exercises on the school's baseball team, and later started a company to sell them in video game format, then got a $1.7 million grant from the National Institutes of Health ("NIH") to further this type of vision improvement research. It was for non-sports applications, but still:

http://www.eurekaler...c--na103013.php

. . . Seitz has used vision-training exercises he developed to help members of the UC Riverside baseball team improve performance.

He also has founded a company, Carrot Neurotechnology, that creates brain-training video games to improve vision. The company is gearing up for a wide release of tools that can be downloaded to help people with low vision improve their vision or to optimize vision in normally seeing individuals, such as athletes, individuals in law enforcement and others, who are looking to achieve better-than-normal vision.

A $1.7 million research grant ain't entirely rinky-dink. Somebody with some science credentials must think there might be something to this.

How many times have you heard some announcer say that the best QBs see the entire field? The ones who don't see the entire field wind up trying to read defenses based on the limited keys available in the portion of the field that they actually CAN see. If your QB can't see the entire field, you get wide open WRs waving their hands while the QB throws the ball somewhere else because he just didn't see the open man.

We can do better through science.

I have previously posted info about how certain visual training exercises can improve the ability of athletes to track the motion of balls in flight better (and perhaps thicken the superior temporal sulcus of players like McKelvin in the process).

Now that McKelvin is playing better, let's SEE (I crack myself up) if current cognitive neuroscience research offers any hope for making EJ able to see the entire field. Then he can more consistently target his throws at the guy who is actually most open.

Turns out, there's this guy at UC Riverside who recently conducted a successful experiment to sharpen the vision of the school's baseball players:

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2uDmYV1OS

Although not mentioned in the LA Times article, if you read the peer-reviewed research report published in Current Biology, you find this:

http://download.cell...termediate=true

How can improving our QB's peripheral vision be a bad thing? From what I read, the players already get their playbook on a tablet. I also keep reading how EJ is driven to succeed in this league, and willing to put in a lot of effort to make that happen.

Why can't our offensive coordinator (who just happens to have a degree in neurobiology) put the vision training app on EJ's tablet? What could it hurt?

Mr. Hackett, in the unlikely event that you or one of your assistants reads this Bills message board for grins in the off-season, check this out:

http://www.ultimeyesvision.com

Could we please get ahead of the curve for once and spend $6.00 to give our young QB some help seeing the entire field?

Not sure about this but the biggest jump traditionally for first year starting players occur in their second season. Things should slow down for him this year and improvement in seeing the field ( if that's even the problem) should be observed.

BTW, what were your expectations for the first year QB. IMO, his productions and pitfalls were to be expected, the injuries were an impediment that hindered his production but overall his play was not the reason the Bills failed to reach the playoffs. He has the qualities- intelligence, work ethic and temperament needed to be a very good player in the league. The Bills are very close we just need EJ to manage the game ( think Ryan, Dalton, Wilson)& hit the long ball when the right look is presented by the defense. Go Bills!

LOL ... Manuel is already reminding me of a Bledsoe-like project, ... and one that is predictably futile just like Bledsoe was.

I distinctly recall a lot of attention paid to helping Drew with his pocket awareness given his light-speed mobility. /s

"We can rebuild him."

LOL

LOL ... Manuel is already reminding me of a Bledsoe-like project, ... and one that is predictably futile just like Bledsoe was.

I distinctly recall a lot of attention paid to helping Drew with his pocket awareness given his light-speed mobility. /s

LOL

4 time probowler Drew Bledsoe project?!?!?

I'm not convinced any lasting change, or perhaps the degree of change desired, would come via the applications explicitly mentioned in this thread. However, I do know first hand that a former GM wanted a different and more powerful technology at his disposal for multiple positions and reasons (beyond just mental development).

For those of you having difficulty with $6.00 send me $6,000 for it now does it make it better? Love how price changes people perception. You would be the same people wondering what the catch was if I offered you a free $100.00 bill.

Not sure about this but the biggest jump traditionally for first year starting players occur in their second season. Things should slow down for him this year and improvement in seeing the field ( if that's even the problem) should be observed.

BTW, what were your expectations for the first year QB. IMO, his productions and pitfalls were to be expected, the injuries were an impediment that hindered his production but overall his play was not the reason the Bills failed to reach the playoffs. He has the qualities- intelligence, work ethic and temperament needed to be a very good player in the league. The Bills are very close we just need EJ to manage the game ( think Ryan, Dalton, Wilson)& hit the long ball when the right look is presented by the defense. Go Bills!

I think his performance showed that the games started to slow down for him in the second half. His biggest problems came when he came back form injury. I think EJ has shown the ability to learn from mistakes and build on it. He needs more live reps and a couple successful long passes like the Jets game and he will move forward greatly. This and an improved O line so our running game can be all it needs to be, If you have not noticed there is a move to make offenses more run oriented When did NE do well , when they ran the ball. Balance is the key.