Jets eyeing Josh McCown

YoloinOhio

Even with McCown's monster 109 QB rating (he was great this year), his career QB rating is 77.5. Thad Lewis' is 81.4. IMO, Lewis is almost the perfect backup.

Hey, we agree on something! :)

I can't predict the future, but as we speak I do not think that Manuel is a better QB than Lewis.

JMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, we agree on something! :)

I can't predict the future, but as we speak I do not think that Manuel is a better QB than Lewis.

JMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough but it's almost to really compare them. Manuel was a rookie who missed 2 weeks of his first training camp and then a month. Thad is in his 3rd season. And if you throw out the crapfest TB game (I know, but it was a complete outliner), Manuel might have the better QB rating. Also I wonder if you would be feeling better about Manuel if our vaunted defense managed to hold the lead against NE and ATL when EJ walked of the field with the lead.

Bill, I think you're old enough to realize that it is a process with rookie QBs, especially ones who struggled with injury (my main concern with EJ). Guys like Andrew Luck don't enter the league every year (and believe or not, EJ actually had a better QB rating than Luck as a rookie). I am more than contend with Thad as a backup (and perhaps spending a 3rd or later on Aaron Murray). But the upside on EJ is a lot higher. JMO.

Fair enough but it's almost to really compare them. Manuel was a rookie who missed 2 weeks of his first training camp and then a month. Thad is in his 3rd season. And if you throw out the crapfest TB game (I know, but it was a complete outliner), Manuel might have the better QB rating. Also I wonder if you would be feeling better about Manuel if our vaunted defense managed to hold the lead against NE and ATL when EJ walked of the field with the lead.

Bill, I think you're old enough to realize that it is a process with rookie QBs, especially ones who struggled with injury (my main concern with EJ). Guys like Andrew Luck don't enter the league every year (and believe or not, EJ actually had a better QB rating than Luck as a rookie). I am more than contend with Thad as a backup (and perhaps spending a 3rd or later on Aaron Murray). But the upside on EJ is a lot higher. JMO.

Yes, Manuel does seem to have more potential than Lewis. And I agree 100% wrt Murray. If not him I hope the Bills draft Mettenberger of McCarron. If one of them develops its a homerun because even if EJ turns out to be great, the trade value of qbs is tremendous.

They would be insane not to take a shot at one of these qbs, but we have seen it before. :(

Even with McCown's monster 109 QB rating (he was great this year), his career QB rating is 77.5. Thad Lewis' is 81.4. IMO, Lewis is almost the perfect backup.

I agree on Lewis. He's capable, he doesn't cost a lot, and has development upside. I think Polian said it yesterday "you want your backup QB to go .500". I think that's in Thad's wheel house.

@MMehtaNYDN: Sources: #Jets eying #Bears QB Josh McCown to provide insurance. Story: http://nydn.us/1lakPVs

Guessing Geno will have a short leash

I'd say that means Geno is getting a longer leash. Of course they are going to sign a veteran once Sanchize is released, but clearly there's no future with McCown. The bigger question is, will the Jets select one of the 2d tier QBs in the draft.

I'd say that means Geno is getting a longer leash. Of course they are going to sign a veteran once Sanchize is released, but clearly there's no future with McCown. The bigger question is, will the Jets select one of the 2d tier QBs in the draft.

Not sure,,, on NFLN this morning they were discussing Jets now going after Vick who has said he still wants to start, and that Geno would compete with him for the starting spot in TC,. That's not ":insurance" (McCown would be, though, I'd think). They haven't really endorsed Geno too much publically, at least, to make me think they are really invested in him. He was a 2nd rd pick, and not sure how he is work ethic wise, etc... may make a difference in how they are approaching him.

Sounds good to me. Rex's death nail!!!

im not normally one to correct grammar and spelling stuff but i will share that the phrases are "death knell" or "nail in the coffin" unless of course you are killing rex with a nail.

Edited by NoSaint

you know, I thought thad's contract was up after this past season and we hadn't signed him. just realized he is still under contract for next year. I was having a beer with jeff tuel's grandfather who said that thad thinks he is a starter in the league and wanted a shot somewhere else. I don't really think any other team could give him a better chance than one with decent rb's, pretty good wr corps and a starter with knee issues.