Bills #2 in dead money

KRT88

On the other hand, how many teams go through an NFL season injury free?

Perhaps it isn't that there are injuries as much as there isn't the sort of roster depth to adequately compensate for the injuries that are, statistically-speaking, inevitable.

Bingo

Dead money is looked as a savior to Littmann. It serves to pad against hitting the salary cap floor and makes us appear that we are spending more money than we actually are by shrinking our available cap room. Just imagine if we didn't have this dead money, we'd be nearly $40 million under the cap and still balking at giving money to Byrd!

Edited by kas23

In order for the Bills to step into the future from the lackey past they need to change 2 things in the franchise that hasn't been changed in for ever .

First who ever it is that allows this kind of contract writing (such as the Fitz debacle) to put the Bills in the position of not being able to use this extra cash . That being Jim Overdorf if i'm thinking correct ? He is a dinosaur it's time for them to move up in that area .

And second we need to up grade the training staff which Whaley & company are wanting to do .

http://bills.buffalo...ce-might-agree/

The trainer Bud carpenter has been on staff for some 19 years . Even though they have done a decent job in certain instances such as the quick reaction to helping Kevin Everett but they need to jump into the new stuff which the article will help to explain .

We all can attest to the Bills injury woes over the years , It seems as if we are one of the teams that always has a bunch of injuries . If they can get more preventative training it col help us get past a lot of these injuries .

These 2 things need to happen to not only to upgrade the Bills staff but to put back in the mix of being a more competitive & viable NFL franchise !!

Releasing Rusty Jones was ridiculously poor judgement by the Bills. The following year Urlacher gave him a lot of credit for his NFL defensive player of the year award.

As far as preventing injuries, I don't know if we're more injury prone than any other team. Our big boys on both sides of the ball fared very well this season-- better than average anyway. I agree that with certain guys like Stevie Johnson, Dareus, there should be a mandatory injury preventative/conditioning program they follow year round. Considering the millions they make, it's silly to not have them on the same regimen as some of the other NFL professionals who take conditioning more seriously.

The concept of fining someone if they show up at camp overweight is archaic. They should be fined if they don't show up for conditioning 5 days a week in the off season. Give them a few weeks off for vacation but otherwise it's a requirement written in the contract.

Releasing Rusty Jones was ridiculously poor judgement by the Bills. The following year Urlacher gave him a lot of credit for his NFL defensive player of the year award.

As far as preventing injuries, I don't know if we're more injury prone than any other team. Our big boys on both sides of the ball fared very well this season-- better than average anyway. I agree that with certain guys like Stevie Johnson, Dareus, there should be a mandatory injury preventative/conditioning program they follow year round. Considering the millions they make, it's silly to not have them on the same regimen as some of the other NFL professionals who take conditioning more seriously.

The concept of fining someone if they show up at camp overweight is archaic. They should be fined if they don't show up for conditioning 5 days a week in the off season. Give them a few weeks off for vacation but otherwise it's a requirement written in the contract.

Forcing anyone to do anything in the offseason is not allowed as per the CBA. Players want to work less and earn more. Same with everyone else that holds a job.

Dead money is looked as a savior to Littmann. It serves to pad against hitting the salary cap floor and makes us appear that we are spending more money than we actually are by shrinking our available cap room. Just imagine if we didn't have this dead money, we'd be nearly $40 million under the cap and still balking at giving money to Byrd!

This is exactly right.

The Bills also save a ton at the qb position. With the new cba, draft picks cost WAY less, but the players who profit are the QBs. Jay Cutler will earn approx. 6x as much as all of the Bills QBs combined. Yes, Jay Cutler. Yet, they didn't want to pay Levitre. Go figure.

This isn't correct any more.

The cap floor is calculated over a 4 year period......and any individual year is allowed to be under the cap floor(for that year) as long as the overall cap spending(over the 4 year period) is over the overall cap floor.

On top of that, the cap floor is calculated on the unadjusted cap....not the adjusted cap with rollover. This means that assuming the 2014 cap will be around $130m......the cap floor for this year will be around $117m. Our top 51 contracts at this point(doesn't include kicker, Byrd, FAs & rookies) is $113m. As one can see, we will easily cover the 2014 cap floor regardless of the $12m dead money hit.

To me the large dead money hit we have is indicative that we are finally endeavoring to win. Instead of keeping players(mainly Fitz) who were not going to help us win games(and save some money), we elected to waste the dollars and cut them instead.

Edited by Dibs

To me the large dead money hit we have is indicative that we are finally endeavoring to win. Instead of keeping players(mainly Fitz) who were not going to help us win games(and save some money), we elected to waste the dollars and cut them instead.

Then why did they spread Fitzpatrick's cap hit over 2 years as opposed to 1?

Dead money, to me, is indicative of bad personnel decisions combined with bad financial ones. But I guess that happens when Jim Overdorf is negotiating your contracts and not the GM/football personnel people as Whaley essentially admitted this weekend.

And it makes sense they're comfortable with Mario's 18.8M cap hit in 2014. He's been a solid and often outstanding performer, but it's clear that contract gets them to the minimum. Restructuring it to free up space isn't an option right now for that reason.

Dead money pure profit for Mr. Wilson. :)

http://espn.go.com/b...ad-money-totals

I hadn't seen anyone post this but the Bills have the second most dead money for this year, 12 million plus. I know Fitzpatricks contract is a chunk of that, anyone know where it all came from?

This dead money thing has to go. I think it's horrible that they make you take these hits. If you're trying to win a championship, this is only hindering the process. If you cut the guy, they should let you buy out the dead money or pay back a percentage so you're not being penalized so heavily.

Great point!! All this dead money is a genius way for a team to underspend. For all that is said about Fitzpatrick, the Bills haven't actually paid HIM anything since 2012. Until the Bills are a lot better, dead money should be a non issue and there's little upper echelon talent to get them near the cap. I think they should probably pay Byrd, but assets at the draft wouldn't be awful.

Then why did they spread Fitzpatrick's cap hit over 2 years as opposed to 1?

With the rollover(and re-rollover) rules combined with the 4 year cap floor rule........there is no negative to pushing the dead money into the next year(if able).

Considering that there are no negatives & any unspent money in the first year is moved into the second year......why wouldn't a team spread dead cap hits over 2 years as opposed to 1(if possible)? It provides more available money to spend(if needed for some unforeseen reason) in year 1 while having the exact same financial situation either way in year 2.

Dead money, to me, is indicative of bad personnel decisions combined with bad financial ones......

I agree with that(unless the dead money comes from an injured and/or retired player).

I tend to think however that the initial bad decision(long term Fitz signing) was likely influenced by HC Gailey at the time. Though one will never know, the concept that the FO puts faith in their HC is not IMO a bad thing. Of course, this then moves the discussion to the hiring of the HC in the first place(another bad decision).

Regardless of the mistakes made to wind up with a pricey and unproductive player on the roster.......the decision to cut them and incur short term pain(dead money) for better long term production is a good decision.

Edited by Dibs

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the single worst player for this franchise in their history. No other player has proved to have such a negative effect.

I don't think he is even the worst QB to don a Bills Uniform. There are a lot more lousy players that have run through the tunnels of RWS.