Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

It seems like the top money for FS is now north of 8 million a year, and that's based on previous contracts. Going forward, the price will continue to climb. So if Parker is looking ahead 4 or 5 years, he's probably anticipating that the price will be up another 2 million per annum and wants to lock his client in now. If, as has been suggested, Parker wanted 8.5 last year, then the Bills blew it by not jumping on it because this year it seems it's going to cost close to 10. There is a way to avoid any future Byrd-like problems: make sure you keep your roster clear of elite talent.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed 100%, I think players should absolutely maximize their first big contract since it may be their only big day and this includes getting every dollar possible guaranteed. If I were an agent I would never advise my client to accept less that the absolute maximum unless the player was at the end of his career chasing a ring or if there were family issues.

I agree. As a fan I love it when a player takes a hometown discount. However, we should not expect this or get upset if a player does not want to do this. Sports is a different beast. Within that beast football stands alone. Most players won’t ever see a majority of their contracts. All they get is the guaranteed money. And with football, the risk of serious injury or for most players, the impact, years down the line of an accumulation of injuries will make having a lot of money a necessity. Surgeries, treatments and medicines cost money; especially if one needs to get them for the rest of their lives.

I'm being lazy, but I'm curious to know the average salary of the starting saftey of playoff teams over the last 5 years or so.

Does re-signing Byrd increase our playoff chances for next year or are we better off adding impact at more important positions?

Well it certainly wont decrease the chances ! Until we have a proven commodity back there .

So there it is .

I'm being lazy, but I'm curious to know the average salary of the starting saftey of playoff teams over the last 5 years or so.

Does re-signing Byrd increase our playoff chances for next year or are we better off adding impact at more important positions?

Well I'm not sure it really quantifys the position but the last 4 SB winners had pro bowl safetys.

Earl Thomas

Ed Reed

Antrel Rolle

Nick Collins

Oh it quantifies alright !

You just dont throw at guys like that.

Makes the field smaller for the DC to design for. like a shut down corner kinda

In fact, now that I look every team that has won a Super Bowl in the last 13 years ALL of them had a pro bowler at one of the two safety positions.

Pro bowler meaning the safety has at least one pro bowl appearance, I THINK all of them had more than one if I'm not mistaken.

That's an interesting.

In fact, now that I look every team that has won a Super Bowl in the last 13 years ALL of them had a pro bowler at one of the two safety positions.

Pro bowler meaning the safety has at least one pro bowl appearance, I THINK all of them had more than one if I'm not mistaken.

That's an interesting.

This was, supposedly, the whole reason Marv wanted Whitner so high. He felt the good playoff teams always had a good safety back there making plays... at the time, Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Ed Reed...

This was, supposedly, the whole reason Marv wanted Whitner so high. He felt the good playoff teams always had a good safety back there making plays... at the time, Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Ed Reed...

In a playoff situation where 1-2 big plays is often the difference between two great teams.... having both a reliable safety net as well as a capable big play maker back there certainly helps with winning 3-4 in a row against other elites. It helps stop big plays and can create them.

safety won't be the difference between 6 and 10 wins like qb can be but once you have a good team in place they sure can be the difference between a 60 yard td and an int once or twice in January.

Edited by NoSaint

Ive been looking at the game and game film more this off season. I am going to watch the 2013 season over again shortly. But I am noticing a trend. I am seeing the emergence of the safety position. I am seeing more athletic. Faster and alert safeties. They're playing an entire field and getting there with speed and smarts. This makes me curious about Byrd.

I feel he is worth a high price. And I want to keep him becausewe do not need any more holes

But it seems to me in jist a little bit of studying the safety position might be more important then ever. Specifically the FS.

Ive been looking at the game and game film more this off season. I am going to watch the 2013 season over again shortly. But I am noticing a trend. I am seeing the emergence of the safety position. I am seeing more athletic. Faster and alert safeties. They're playing an entire field and getting there with speed and smarts. This makes me curious about Byrd.

I feel he is worth a high price. And I want to keep him becausewe do not need any more holes

But it seems to me in jist a little bit of studying the safety position might be more important then ever. Specifically the FS.

Byrd gets there with smarts 'cause he ain't fast enough to get there with speed. He's a playmaker with his smarts. But it's the plays that he doesn't make that make me wonder. If you review that game tape, look at him in cover-1 and cover-2. He's often VERY slow to get to the ball side of the field on longer passes against that look. I STILL haven't forgiven him for the 49ers game in 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd gets there with smarts 'cause he ain't fast enough to get there with speed. He's a playmaker with his smarts. But it's the plays that he doesn't make that make me wonder. If you review that game tape, look at him in cover-1 and cover-2. He's often VERY slow to get to the ball side of the field on longer passes against that look. I STILL haven't forgiven him for the 49ers game in 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

if I was DC I'd never play him i n a cover 2 shell. And sparingly with the right player package in cover 1

GO BILLS!!!

if I was DC I'd never play him i n a cover 2 shell. And sparingly with the right player package in cover 1

Well, he was played there a ton, especially his first few years and under Wanny.

And while having him be responsible for a deep half isn't ideal for him, sometimes circumstance places him there. Even so, he's no shutdown man to man player in cover-0 either.

I'll stop now before I get scolded for poking holes in his game.

GO BILLS!!!