Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't care if Byrd hates working for me. I repeat, I DON'T CARE. He would be in a contract year in 2014 and would play just as great as he did last year. You may think that I'm a jerk for wanting to franchise tag a disgruntled player, but I'M the one who's making the smart business decision. Why?

1. Because the Bills would be either getting something back from Byrd leaving in a trade scenario. or…

2. The Bills would be have an all pro safety for the majority of the 2014 season with a year to make plans for his replacement.

You are the "nice guy" and that's fine. I'm not the "nice guy" when it comes to what's best for the Bills franchise. I think that there are two FOs at One Bills Drive. One that drives the bus and holds the purse stings and which won over the one that wanted Byrd tagged knowing that the team is worse off by not moving forward with the simple and effective football decision.

The Bills got NOTHING for Byrd and just blew a GIGANTIC hole in their pass defense. THEY did that and fans are ok with it because they can feel good about not forcing a player to stay against their will. The dude would make 9 MILLION dollars, Sorry, but I think the sympathy card has worn a little thin on Byrd.

Color me "not the nice guy."

I don't care if Byrd hates working for me. I repeat, I DON'T CARE. He would be in a contract year in 2014 and would play just as great as he did last year. You may think that I'm a jerk for wanting to franchise tag a disgruntled player, but I'M the one who's making the smart business decision. Why?

1. Because the Bills would be either getting something back from Byrd leaving in a trade scenario. or…

2. The Bills would be have an all pro safety for the majority of the 2014 season with a year to make plans for his replacement.

You are the "nice guy" and that's fine. I'm not the "nice guy" when it comes to what's best for the Bills franchise. I think that there are two FOs at One Bills Drive. One that drives the bus and holds the purse stings and which won over the one that wanted Byrd tagged knowing that the team is worse off by not moving forward with the simple and effective football decision.

The Bills got NOTHING for Byrd and just blew a GIGANTIC hole in their pass defense. THEY did that and fans are ok with it because they can feel good about not forcing a player to stay against their will. The dude would make 9 MILLION dollars, Sorry, but I think the sympathy card has worn a little thin on Byrd.

Sorry...But what fans are you talking about?

The one-tenth of one percent of Bills fans that are truly happy about it? Because believe me, 90% of the VERY few fans that SEEM happy about Byrd leaving are really not happy...They're more pissed and acting like they're glad about it because that's the tough way to show anger... :P

Even Bills fans who think it was the right move are by-and-large not happy about this...

Try the word "some," or "a few..." Less generalization please... ;)

No one is sympathetic to Byrd. And the only gigantic hole is the third possible scenario you missed. Let me add it.

3) Bills franchise Byrd but he refuses to sign the tender. Therefore we can't trade him. Then he signs the tender before training camp and holds out. At that point there will be many fewer if any trade partners because the draft happened, free agency happened, and teams are much closer to the cap. With his holdout he gets fined peanuts, doesn't learn the new defense, and comes back just before the season starts. He plays the PF game again and is a distraction in the locker room. We get one more half assed season from Byrd at 8.5m. Sound like a good outcome??

It seems clear that Byrd, as is his right, decided not to sign any deal until he saw his value on the open market. If that is true, then there is virtually no way the Bills could have offered him enough. Now that he can negotiate with everyone, he will get a sense of his actual market value, and so will the Bills. That's what free agency is supposed to be about.

Not sure about kc's cap space but imagine byrd next to berry?

I know look at how awesome TB was with their super powered secondary!!!

Byrd's a big loss no doubt but it's still all about the QB and everything else follows. Losing good players always hurts, but the 2 guys we lost the last 2 seasons play positions on offense and defense that are probably last in terms of importance. The key now is filling them better than Colin Brown.

No one is sympathetic to Byrd. And the only gigantic hole is the third possible scenario you missed. Let me add it.

3) Bills franchise Byrd but he refuses to sign the tender. Therefore we can't trade him. Then he signs the tender before training camp and holds out. At that point there will be many fewer if any trade partners because the draft happened, free agency happened, and teams are much closer to the cap. With his holdout he gets fined peanuts, doesn't learn the new defense, and comes back just before the season starts. He plays the PF game again and is a distraction in the locker room. We get one more half assed season from Byrd at 8.5m. Sound like a good outcome??

I thought the transition tag would have worked just fine with Byrd. Let him negotiate with other teams and we have the right to match the offer he brings back.

I thought the transition tag would have worked just fine with Byrd. Let him negotiate with other teams and we have the right to match the offer he brings back.

I think you're right. I also don't necessarily disagree with folks that would have franchised him. I probably would have if I was Whaley.

What I was responding to with that post was the idea some posters were putting forth that it was such a cut and dry decision. It wasn't very simple and Byrd had a lot of leverage in how many headaches he could cause. That's why I am not really upset about their decision to let him walk. That and the fact that I don't think he's going to be that hard to replace or safety one of the least important positions (hence the tag # being only slightly higher that TE).

2014 NFL free agency primer: Secondary:

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd

So you want to copy the Seahawks’ defensive formula? It’s going to take a safety like Byrd, who can man the center-field spot by his lonesome with enough athleticism to go sideline to sideline or fly down on a run play. There will be a lot of money thrown Byrd’s way because he can handle those tasks. He stands to become the highest-paid safety in the league.

I've been thinking... good safeties are going to go up in price with the Seahawks having developed an effective blueprint for how to use them.

Whaley should think long and hard about the value that he places on the position and the likelihood that a replacement will be a plug-and-play scenario.

Now, if, like the Sabres, these guys think they aren't quite in the window yet - perhaps because of QB uncertainties - that's logical. But I personally don't think that shedding a player like Byrd will inch them any closer.

I like Seattle's safeties as well as the next guy; they plain punish you. But they are effective because their front four, and sometimes only 3, get to the QB and disrupt things. They leave little time for plays to develop and Carroll has the luxury of dropping 7 and 8 ALL THE TIME. They flatten everything out because of that D line.

GO BILLS!!!

I've been thinking... good safeties are going to go up in price with the Seahawks having developed an effective blueprint for how to use them.

Whaley should think long and hard about the value that he places on the position and the likelihood that a replacement will be a plug-and-play scenario.

Now you tell him!