Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

His agent spent all last offseason trying to find a trading partner. The only offer was a 4th from Minnesota. I don't think the market for Byrd is as vast as everyone thinks it is. But all it takes is one team and I have a hunch Parker knows who that team is.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd had two subpar season's before his 2012 five interception season. The 2013 season cemented Byrd as a top safety in the league.

If the Bills had Byrd under contract, the Bills would fetch at least a 2nd round pick or possibly a low 1st round pick to a very good team that was one or two players away from a championship.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Screw the sign AND trade, I favor trade AND play. The guys is a great safety. We can get another year of great play from him which we will get because he will be auditioning for his next team. This year also try to develop someone who will take his place next year.

I just think Byrd doesn't want to play in Buffalo anymore and I don't blame him really. In his 5 years here we've had 3 HCs and 4 DCs. We've topped out at 7 wins (once). He wants money but I think he want to win.

If he does walk today, I'll be upset with the Bills for letting good talent walk we could have had for one more year. I'll be dissapointed in Byrd, but understand.

A little off topic...But just an FYI in case you did not know already...Parker's agency will represent WR Sammy Watkins, FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin, UT OT Antonio Richardson, as well as SC WR Bruce Ellington, and OSU RB Carlos Hyde...

Just saying... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

not sure if this is an issue in this thread, too. there seems to be a great misconception as to what the AP reported yesterday in regards to the Bills contract offer to Byrd.

the AP never reported the figure was $30 million guaranteed. it reported that Byrd would be paid about $30 million over the first three years of the deal. that money is not guaranteed, and would be paid to him only if he made it through the first three seasons.

as far as what the Bills actually offered in guarantees, it was not made clear.

but there is a huge distinction between guaranteed money and what he would get in the first three years of a deal.

some in another thread failed to make this distinction. it appears espn's ed werder did as well in a tweet.

jw

A little off topic...But just an FYI in case you did not know already...Parker's agency will represent WR Sammy Watkins, FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin, UT OT Antonio Richardson, as well as SC WR Bruce Ellington, and OSU RB Carlos Hyde...

Just saying... ;)

Really? Really?!

not sure if this is an issue in this thread, too. there seems to be a great misconception as to what the AP reported yesterday in regards to the Bills contract offer to Byrd.

the AP never reported the figure was $30 million guaranteed. it reported that Byrd would be paid about $30 million over the first three years of the deal. that money is not guaranteed, and would be paid to him only if he made it through the first three seasons.

as far as what the Bills actually offered in guarantees, it was not made clear.

but there is a huge distinction between guaranteed money and what he would get in the first three years of a deal.

some in another thread failed to make this distinction. it appears espn's ed werder did as well in a tweet.

jw

Thanks, John. I thought you made this pretty clear in your piece.

This is what Jake Long did - he went to STL for less than what Miami offered him, last year. It is not always about each penny.

Yeah, well now that we see how their line was run, it's no wonder he wanted to get out of that situation.

Just saying... ;)

Unlike Byrd's ill feelings, Sammy Watkins has said the Buffalo Bills were his favorite team growing up. If you can become an elite WR then you will and should get paid like an elite WR. While I don't like his agent at all, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Sammy Watkins remains at the top of my wish list for the draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

Unlike Byrd's ill feelings, Sammy Watkins has said the Buffalo Bills were his favorite team growing up. If you can become an elite WR then you will and should get paid like an elite WR. While I don't like his agent at all, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Sammy Watkins remains at the top of my wish list for the draft.

FWIW, all agents act like DBs, some just worse than others.

This is what Jake Long did - he went to STL for less than what Miami offered him, last year. It is not always about each penny.

Cliff Avril as well...

I fully expect Byrd to take a little less in order to go where he wants to go...And I certainly can't blame him for it... B-)

Cliff Avril as well...

I fully expect Byrd to take a little less in order to go where he wants to go...And I certainly can't blame him for it... B-)

He is a wealthy guy as it is with what he has made so far, and grew up with money as well as his dad was a NFL player and coach. He isn't going to be hung up on every single penny if it isn't the team he wants. He is going to go where he wants to go, for the most money he can get from one of the those teams. Edited by YoloinOhio

I see the Bills playoff hopes for 2014 hinging on the QB position, not the FS spot. If the Bills were already a playoff team, tagging and playing him makes a ton of sense. Coming off a 6-10 streak, why pay ANY player 8.3 million just for them to leave at the end of the season? I think that the point of the contract impasse is becoming crystal clear. Byrd will refuse anything the Bills offer him until he can openly compare it to the rest of the league's offers and chose where he plays and for how much. Byrd gets one shot in his LIFETIME to capitalize on the NFL to this extent. It's silly to sit back and expect the players of your favorite team to kill themselves on a football field while you sit around getting hammered, just for them to go soft in the game of life. None of us has any skin in this game. If it is true that the Bills were offering Redskin type money to Byrd, then I would also have to assume that they will direct that money to FA and some of the players on the roster younger than 27. What will Byrd really be worth in 2018? Let the market for him happen and move forward.

I see the Bills playoff hopes for 2014 hinging on the QB position, not the FS spot. If the Bills were already a playoff team, tagging and playing him makes a ton of sense. Coming off a 6-10 streak, why pay ANY player 8.3 million just for them to leave at the end of the season? I think that the point of the contract impasse is becoming crystal clear. Byrd will refuse anything the Bills offer him until he can openly compare it to the rest of the league's offers and chose where he plays and for how much. Byrd gets one shot in his LIFETIME to capitalize on the NFL to this extent. It's silly to sit back and expect the players of your favorite team to kill themselves on a football field while you sit around getting hammered, just for them to go soft in the game of life. None of us has any skin in this game. If it is true that the Bills were offering Redskin type money to Byrd, then I would also have to assume that they will direct that money to FA and some of the players on the roster younger than 27. What will Byrd really be worth in 2018? Let the market for him happen and move forward.

I agree with all of this and it isn't anything against Byrd. Is he a great FS? Yes. Does he make the Bills secondary better when he plays? Yes. Is he worth 9-10 mill/yr? Sure, why not - he is the latest to get paid,and the cap went up. Is he irreplaceable? Absolutely not.

#FreeByrd and use that money to improve the team. The drafted two safeties last year and have two other young, promising safeties. They played almost 6 games without him last year.

I agree with all of this and it isn't anything against Byrd. Is he a great FS? Yes. Does he make the Bills secondary better when he plays? Yes. Is he worth 9-10 mill/yr? Sure, why not - he is the latest to get paid,and the cap went up. Is he irreplaceable? Absolutely not.

#FreeByrd and use that money to improve the team. The drafted two safeties last year and have two other young, promising safeties. They played almost 6 games without him last year.

In a way I am excited to see who they target in FA now that the Byrd thing is probably over. Will they make a splash for a DE to play opposite Williams?

In a way I am excited to see who they target in FA now that the Byrd thing is probably over. Will they make a splash for a DE to play opposite Williams?

I would love to see Red Bryant. Here in Cbus they have Brady Quinn on the radio on Mondays and he was talking about what a player and big-time leader he was in Seattle. He said he is so intense. Different than Mario, and I love Mario, but we need a guy like that. Plus he is very effective against the run and would fit nicely here, I believe.

This is mostly how I feel about the whole thing, but I can't help but feel a little angry that they're not going to get anything for him. I still haven't come 100% off of the idea of "Tag his ass and get something for him" camp.