Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Lol. He ranked Bethea and Clemons higher than Byrd. Great talent evaluation.... easy to see why he got canned in Indy.

Yeah he sucks at evaluating talent; only built 3 Superbowl contending franchises....

you're young aren't you?

As far as the Colts go; he got the players for the Offense they wanted and Dungy was the one who brought the D. Their Failures had plenty to do with that style of D as well...

The tag and trade seems like a thing of the past; most team realize it is a bad deal to give up a pick in that situation. You also will never get good value in this situation anymore; it is the equivalent of a team looking to trade a player everyone else knows they will release. The teams will just wait for you to let said player leave...

Hell the only way to trade a player is to have them signed to a reasonable contract. Revis's numbers made it really hard for the Jets to trade him and the Bucs want to move on and can't find a partner either. Al Davis isn't around anymore to make head scratching moves either...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol. He ranked Bethea and Clemons higher than Byrd. Great talent evaluation.... easy to see why he got canned in Indy.

Not why he got fired. Anyway, Chris Polian was the GM there when it happened. Bill was the President. BP may go down as the best GM in NFL history. Regarding Byrd, I see what he is saying. However, it only takes one team to think otherwise. Bill's Colts teams would never have spent that much on Byrd. Every FO is different.

I'm kind of surprised that all we've heard about regarding Byrd is 'St. Louis called'.

With how much Parker seems to like getting Byrd's name out there and how often "reports" were leaked when it came to his client - I assume if his phone were ringing off the hook, we'd know. Instead, Alterraun Verner and Michael Bennett appear to be dominating the rumored interest mill.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but does anyone else think maybe Byrd has been overvalued by our region and the media?

I'm kind of surprised that all we've heard about regarding Byrd is 'St. Louis called'.

With how much Parker seems to like getting Byrd's name out there and how often "reports" were leaked when it came to his client - I assume if his phone were ringing off the hook, we'd know. Instead, Alterraun Verner and Michael Bennett appear to be dominating the rumored interest mill.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but does anyone else think maybe Byrd has been overvalued by our region and the media?

It's a lot of $ for safety. I think the Jets and Broncos will make a serious play. Browns might but they should take care of Ward and keep him around. Better all-around player and younger, IMO.

Nope. Regardless of what the Cheerio pissers around here say, Byrd is tops at his position. He's been an all pro 3 out of his 5 years in the league. That's outstanding

People running around here saying he's too slow or not great in run support are as ridiculous as people who used to say Zach Thomas is too short or Wes Welker is too slow to beat you deep. Who cares? Byrd can run a 7 second 40 and bench 135, I don't care as long as her performs. And the guy has performed

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Nope. Regardless of what the Cheerio pissers around here say, Byrd is tops at his position. He's been an all pro 3 out of his 5 years in the league. That's outstanding

Yeah, I agree he is anything but undervalued nationally. I think any "lack of buzz" if you will since yesterday is more due to the fact he is will be a very highly paid safety. Vernor is going to get a big deal after the market blew up after Sam Shield's contract was announced yesterday. No matter what happened with the Seahawks this year, a pro bowl Safety will never be as highly coveted as a shut down corner, IMO.

I don't think he's overvalued due to his production and play at all...Byrd has been rock solid when he's been in there...And he's more valuable to the Bills than any other team anyway...He's homegrown...

I do think that a couple things are not working in his favor though...Byrd was never the fastest Safety and players don't get faster as they get older...I think even though the Polian grade on him is a bit ridiculous, there is some truth there to how NFL teams look at dishing out money to DB's...Next, I think the PI issues are a big, big problem for Byrd's market value unless he can prove to a team beyond a shadow of a doubt they are a thing of the past...It's one thing to be 23 years old, run a 4.4 flat 40, and have PI in one foot...Jairus will be 30 in the 3rd year of this contract, he runs in the mid 4.6 range, he had PI in BOTH feet, and is on record saying he's been suffering from it for a while now!!! Then you add to this the fact that teams already know they are going to have to come close to paying Byrd $30 million over the first three years of the contract...

All that leads me to believe that if the market is not as welcoming to Byrd...and right now that's a BIG if...but if it's not what the Bills feel it is we should not be terribly surprised...There are some factors working against him as well... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Byrd career int stats. 09-9ints 2010-1int 2011-3ints 2012 -5ins 2013 -4ints.

Seems to be rather average safety after rookie year.

Never picked Brady. One int against qualty qb.Big Ben. Gronk and Hernandez owned him.

Hero against Geno,Gabbert,Glennon,Sanchez type Qbs. Glad hes gone.

Maybe there's some evidence that the market for Byrd might not be as hot as we thought it would be:

It's been widely assumed that the Browns would be hot after the three-time Pro Bowler, because he played for coach Mike Pettine last year in Buffalo.

It doesn't mean the Browns won't join the Byrd sweepstakes -- just that they haven't yet. The Rams are one team that has inquired about Byrd, according to nfl.com.

This comes from the Cleveland Browns reporter Mary Kay Cabot. Here's a link to the entire article:

http://www.cleveland....medium=twitter

Perhaps, just perhaps the market for Byrd isn't all that strong? Maybe teams are reluctant to drop $9 or $10M on a safety or maybe they, like Bill Polian has stated, just don't see Byrd as being that type of an impact player.

We all knew Byrd wanted to see what the market looked like. You can't really blame him for that. Perhaps he's finding out that the deal the Bills offered his is the best he'll see.

For those fretting about not being able to afford the cap space for two highly paid safeties I'll offer this. When it comes to the high priced positions, EJ is ours on the cheap for the next 4 years. If he does develop the timing is perfect because he'll need a new deal about the same time Mario's is up. Our CB's for the next couple along with our starting LT. We're still carrying $12M in dead money from Fitz's contract. The increases in the cap only add to the options.

So maybe, just maybe Byrd returning to the nest isn't such an impossibility.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

It's been a mere 25 hours since legal tampering began, people. If this were a week into free agency then I'd understand. Don't be so quick to rush to judgement.

Are you kidding? Last year it was less than 24 hours into FA before the first "this FO is inept-why aren't we signing ANYONE?" thread.

Are you kidding? Last year it was less than 24 hours into FA before the first "this FO is inept-why aren't we signing ANYONE?" thread.

So true. Lol. I used to be like that, too, but now I see that breaking the bank in FA is not the right way to build a team. Keeping them (personnel) young and hungry is.

So true. Lol. I used to be like that, too, but now I see that breaking the bank in FA is not the right way to build a team. Keeping them (personnel) young and hungry is.

Agree, free agency is for plugging holes not finding stars. It's where you can find valuable role players (see Lawson, Manny).

P.S. I finally finished Breaking Bad yesterday and it was unbelievable from start to finish. If any of you haven't yet seen it I highly recommend jumping on Netflix.

History is rewriting this story so well. Its both amusing and exciting. A player whom his peers consider to be tops in his position, a player who could command the highest safety money ever... isn't even above average.

It is possible that he already has a deal and is just waiting to sign.....

Could be...

But I really doubt it...These things get out real fast nowadays...Plus he's a big-time UFA...Every NFL scoop guy wants that story... B-)

Yeah he sucks at evaluating talent; only built 3 Superbowl contending franchises....

you're young aren't you?

As far as the Colts go; he got the players for the Offense they wanted and Dungy was the one who brought the D. Their Failures had plenty to do with that style of D as well...

I understand that he has tremendous accomplishments, but it is a what have you done for me lately league. The job he did with the Bills and Panthers was great. His early years in Indy were great, but the late years were far from it. The team, under his control, had years of terrible drafts. This was hidden because they had one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Any team that loses its star quarterback gets worse, but they got all time terrible when they lost their QB because the rest of their roster was crap.

I feel the same way about Polian as I do about Parcells. Incredible football minds who the game has passed by. JMO.

I understand that he has tremendous accomplishments, but it is a what have you done for me lately league. The job he did with the Bills and Panthers was great. His early years in Indy were great, but the late years were far from it. The team, under his control, had years of terrible drafts. This was hidden because they had one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Any team that loses its star quarterback gets worse, but they got all time terrible when they lost their QB because the rest of their roster was crap.

I feel the same way about Polian as I do about Parcells. Incredible football minds who the game has passed by. JMO.

Those were Chris Polian's drafts. It would be like blaming Russ Brandon for Nix's drafts. I know for a fact he was not the decision-maker when Chris was GM. He was in a Team President role that was a buffer between Chris and Irsay. That role no longer exists and Grigson and Irsay work in tandem. This is why there is a stark difference in what you see from Irsay now than you saw before. BP kept Irsay in line. Grigson is a puppet. I know this to be a fact. Edited by YoloinOhio