Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it means nothing special.

his history of tweets is filled with positive, inspirational and spiritual messages.

Yea, I don't think it means he's signing today but I'll take some positivity knowing he's in the middle of negotiations.

Getting worried he might sign papazoid?

“Fast” or “Slow” is all relative though. Byrd isn’t slow and playing DB in the NFL. He’s not a burner, but he can move. He knows where to be, takes good angles most times and that also makes him play “faster.” Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 during his pre-draft process.

Right...That's pretty much what I meant by "fast enough and real quick to react..."

But running a 4.68 is slow for a Safety to run at Indy...Especially one that becomes a 2nd round pick and All Pro...There's really nothing relative about the time itself...It's a slow time for a DB... B-)

Yea, I don't think it means he's signing today but I'll take some positivity knowing he's in the middle of negotiations.

Getting worried he might sign papazoid?

(laffin).....it's not happening.

if they did sign him long term (not a disaster thing) I hope they structure the contract that all the guaranteed money is paid off in 3 years, so if they wanted to, they could cut him after 3 with no dead money.

I don't know what Byrd's combine numbers were but he returned punts at Oregon, on a team loaded with explosive, fast players. He is definitely not slow.

The best way to describe Byrd's pro day results (he was injured for the combine), is pedestrian, although his vertical was pretty good. He ran a 4.68 with a 1.53 split. This link notes his lack of closing speed as the reason he would have to switch to free safety in the pros. The only knock on his game is lack of elite athletic ability, especially speed. But you'd be hardpressed to find a more instinctive and intelligent player.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68036&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

GO BILLS!!!

Right...That's pretty much what I meant by "fast enough and real quick to react..."

But running a 4.68 is slow for a Safety to run at Indy...Especially one that becomes a 2nd round pick and All Pro...There's really nothing relative about the time itself...It's a slow time for a DB... B-)

True. But even though he ran that at the combine he was still drafted in the 2nd round. Is it possible he ran faster at his pro day?

By comparison, the two top safeties in the upcoming draft, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor, ran official 4.58 and 4.62 at the combine, respectively. Not sure of splits. That said, Byrd is an inch shorter and about 5 lbs lighter than Pryor and Pryor's times were not considered good. He is projected as a late 1st rounder, I believe. But really more suited for the SS position if you watch him play. Edited by YoloinOhio

True. But even though he ran that at the combine he was still drafted in the 2nd round. Is it possible he ran faster at his pro day?

He didn't run at the combine. The 4.68 was at his pro day. See my link above.

GO BILLS!!!

He didn't run at the combine. The 4.68 was at his pro day. See my link above.

GO BILLS!!!

if i recall, and the link wasnt 100% clear but leads me to believe i may be right, he had the injured groin that kept him out of the combine, but it also kept him out of the oregon pro day too and he had his own a week later - no?

Why?

CBF

In a nutshell the cap is not just being driven by the TV deal and shared revenues. It is also driven by the non shared revenues. There is a conversation that k-9 and I had a few pages back that details it. I will fo my best to rehash it. The non shared revenue gaps between a NY and a Buffalo are wide. There comes a point where NY (for example) will drive the cap so high that the Buffalos of the world will not be able to keep up. I used an example earlier in the thread regarding suite revenue. The suite revenue in NY alone (approx. $50m a year) moves the cap by like $1.5M a year (it may not be that much but you get the point). The Bills total suite revenue is about $7-$8M. The cap is driven but these revenues are not shared. While there is a total of $58M of revenue it is not divided evenly. The Bills would only get $8M in that scenario.

I am not a fan of giving up a home game but do understand why. The Bills got something like $72M for those first 8 games (5 regular & 3 preseason games). That is roughly $14M a year extra in that non shared revenue needed to keep up. It was a brilliant business decision regardless of what a disaster the series has turned out to be. IMO it was (and still is) a necessary evil if the Bills are to remain viable and in WNY.

As I said earlier it has been a long time since I studied this stuff so there may have been some changes but this is the reason that the Bills were 1 of 2 teams to vote against the CBA a few years back. Ralph Wilson was widely criticized at the time for not "understanding." He understood it better than most.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In a nutshell the cap is not just being driven by the TV deal and shared revenues. It is also driven by the non shared revenues. There is a conversation that k-9 and I had a few pages back that details it. I will fo my best to rehash it. The non shared revenue gaps between a NY and a Buffalo are wide. There comes a point where NY (for example) will drive the cap so high that the Buffalos of the world will not be able to keep up. I used an example earlier in the thread regarding suite revenue. The suite revenue in NY alone (approx. $50m a year) moves the cap by like $1.5M a year (I think). The Bills total suite revenue is about $7-$8M. The cap is driven but these revenues are not shared. While there is a total of $58M of revenue it is not divided evenly. The Bills would only get $8M in that scenario.

I am not a fan of giving up a home game but do understand why. The Bills got something like $72M for those first 8 games (5 regular & 3 preseason games). That is roughly $14M a year extra in that non shared revenue needed to keep up. It was a brilliant business decision regardless of what a disaster the series has turned out to be. IMO it was (and still is) a necessary evil if the Bills are to remain viable and in WNY.

As I said earlier it has been a long time since I studied this stuff so there may have been some changes but this is the reason that the Bills were 1 of 2 teams to vote against the CBA a few years back. Ralph Wilson was widely criticized at the time for not "understanding." He understood it better than most.

You are correct. Exactly what Ralph was against when this was approved.