Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

So you're saying Ed Reed wasn't a franchise safety or Polamalu in his prime? Even Bob Sanders in Indy was a huge difference maker when healthy...

Earl Thomas?

Safety is becoming more and more important as the game keeps trending more towards a passing league every year

+100. All 4 were major difference makers in their success.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+100. All 4 were major difference makers in their success.

Not disagreeing with you there, but I have heard quoted a few times, on the John Murphy show most recently, that safety is, on average, the lowest paying position on an NFL squad, aftter punter and place-kicker. I don't know if that speaks as much to the lack of quality safetys in the game, or a lack of value placed on the position. To me, perhaps after watching so many years of sub-par Bills defense, there are few things that stand out as much as a weak secondary...

The thing with Byrd though, in relation to the guys mentioned (Reed, Troy P, Sanders, Thomas, etc) is that those guys are all pretty physical players, almost like lighter, quicker linebackers...I don't think of Byrd like that. He is definitely a crafty guy, who knows how to cover, and ball hawk...but I don't think of him as a hard hitting, sure tackler.

all sounds reasonable.

the safeties very well may be to replace meeks/searcy/duke/leonhard.... it sounded like they have little to no confidence in those guys.

Safety could be to give them another option at eventually replacing Aaron Williams. I don’t think they will keep Byrd and Williams long term. Too much $ at one position.

Not disagreeing with you there, but I have heard quoted a few times, on the John Murphy show most recently, that safety is, on average, the lowest paying position on an NFL squad, aftter punter and place-kicker. I don't know if that speaks as much to the lack of quality safetys in the game, or a lack of value placed on the position. To me, perhaps after watching so many years of sub-par Bills defense, there are few things that stand out as much as a weak secondary...

The thing with Byrd though, in relation to the guys mentioned (Reed, Troy P, Sanders, Thomas, etc) is that those guys are all pretty physical players, almost like lighter, quicker linebackers...I don't think of Byrd like that. He is definitely a crafty guy, who knows how to cover, and ball hawk...but I don't think of him as a hard hitting, sure tackler.

Very good points on comparing Byrd's style to those mentioned. My perspective on it is more from the mental side than the physical side. Your "franchise safety" is many times the QB of the defense. When not there, you find guys out of position or not as organized in their approach. They are usually extremely sharp in film study, intelligent, and big-play game-changers. This is what I see in Byrd. I see AW as more of a physical, hard-hitting guy with the heart and toughness to make the tandem really valuable.

Safety could be to give them another option at eventually replacing Aaron Williams. I don’t think they will keep Byrd and Williams long term. Too much $ at one position.

Not if they extend AW now, instead of waiting. I think they could do it.

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 10m

The franchise tag on Byrd is Less than what he is getting offered.

Very good points on comparing Byrd's style to those mentioned. My perspective on it is more from the mental side than the physical side. Your "franchise safety" is many times the QB of the defense. When not there, you find guys out of position or not as organized in their approach. They are usually extremely sharp in film study, intelligent, and big-play game-changers. This is what I see in Byrd. I see AW as more of a physical, hard-hitting guy with the heart and toughness to make the tandem really valuable.

Not if they extend AW now, instead of waiting. I think they could do it.

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 10m

The franchise tag on Byrd is Less than what he is getting offered.

Who is this Kevin Massare fellow?

I said nothing about certainty; there's only one way to find out and it's not by pinching pennies. We're at 9; we have cap room we never use; is offering 10 really going to blow up our operation?

Don't know. All I'm saying is that $10m may not be enough, whether it blows up the operation or not.

GO BILLS!!!

If it gets reported that Byrd wanted more, I dont think anyone would blame the Bills for not re-signing him.

CBF

Exactly...

I think it was a good move by the Bills to leak some of this out a bit...Hopefully this year there will be no question that the Bills offered Byrd a fair deal...And if this is true that have already offered him a deal that is more-than-fair IMHO... B-)

If it gets reported that Byrd wanted more, I dont think anyone would blame the Bills for not re-signing him.

CBF

Agreed. That would be a clear indication that he wants nothing to do with Buffalo. In that case, franchise his ass, buy him a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts and wait for the phone to ring.

Agreed. That would be a clear indication that he wants nothing to do with Buffalo. In that case, franchise his ass, buy him a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts and wait for the phone to ring.

I say make him pay for his own orthotics.

GO BILLS!!!

Safety is one of those positions that is becoming more valuable instead of less. Much like TE and opposite of RB. As the league trends more to a passing style it makes sense that they would and will become more expensive to keep. I put some info earlier in this thread that there is money to sign Byrd without it causing too much trouble down the road as well.

I'll agree with your player comparisons and that Byrd doesn't play like them except for Reed. Both of them were much more ball hawks than they were that extra lb. Reed was a roamer and had amazing ball skills. Much of that had to do with the talent in front of him. Polamalu was the rare blend of hard hitter/ball hawk that Thomas may also turn out to be.

Exactly...

I think it was a good move by the Bills to leak some of this out a bit...Hopefully this year there will be no question that the Bills offered Byrd a fair deal...And if this is true that have already offered him a deal that is more-than-fair IMHO... B-)

Further tweets indicate the sticking point is guaranteed money. Which is the crux of most negotiations anymore.

Just because the Bills are offering more than the tag, doesn't mean they are offering him the money he thinks he deserves. Someone will likely give him that big pay day, and he knows that.

Tweets from whom? Anyone credible?

Not officially credible, no. This guy has a source at OBD. @kevinmassare if you want to check it out. He contributes to the Forged in Buffalo site. I take it with a grain of salt, but he never really says anything too outlandish so it is hard to tell what he knows and doesn't know. Edited by YoloinOhio

Further tweets indicate the sticking point is guaranteed money. Which is the crux of most negotiations anymore.

Not surprised. As you say, guaranteed money is the crux.

Gotta believe Parker is demanding north of the $25m plus that Berry got.

Even though Berry plays a much more demanding position and is better at it.

GO BILLS!!!