Great Lakes satellite image

Beerball

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think how fast the water moves also affects if it freezes over.

That too. One of the reasons we keep the gates and valves "cracked" @ the lock, during the winter.

Yet, from residence times alone, Lake Erie is the fastest with all water moving/being replaced out of itself. Erie has a residence time of only 3 years... Lake Superior a whopping 190 years, Lake Michigan @ 100 years, Lake Huron @ 20 years, & Lake Ontario @ 6 years.

Erie freezes the worst, even know it is the fastest "flowing." That is, its inlet being 5 feet higher @ around Detroit and its outlet being 5 feet lower @ BFLO and 150' @ The Falls.

Shallowness plays a huge part w/Erie.

yes and no.. lakes dont have a significant current. Helll if it was cold enough long enough even the Niagara river would freeze

Good point.

its a big world outside the US. Pretty much the whole world was above average temperature wise in 2013 besides the US

2013map_thumb.png?w=640&h=396

And the question really is: Who cares which way it really goes. To think things will always stay the same is human arrogance.

What about colder summers?

:nana:

Weather happens!

I remember many moons ago (IIRC '93) Rochester had a summer where the temp averaged 70 and very little sunshine.

Last year in DC we had the coldest monthly record followed by the warmest monthly record.

in my first 5 years in /dc we had an average of 4 inches of snow in the winter, and in the last 4 years we've had 4 or 5 major storms of 8 inches or more in one day.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Man has everything to do with it.

It's possible to extrapolate past global climate from Ice core samples from the Antarctic,(100,000 years back)and and deep sea core drillings.(millions of years in the past)

A perfect *living* model for global warming is the Planet Venus.

Venus has an atmosphere that is virtually 100% carbon dioxide, and Venus is just about the same size as the Earth(It's often called our 'Sister' Planet) and is roughly 1/3rd closer to the sun relative to the Earth. (67,240,000 mi.)

The surface temperature of Venus is over 900F., which is much, much hotter than would be expected. The Planet Mercury, is 2/3rds closer to the sun ((35,980,000 mi.) and the surface of Mercury is actually cooler than the surface temp. of Venus.

Venus suffers from a 'runaway' greenhouse effect, and perfectly illustrates the heat trapping effect of CO2. The Earth is not about to suffer the same fate as Venus, but certainly, the temperature will tweak ever upwards as we continue to dump *billions* of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year.

And your solution? Is it more human arrogance that thinks we can keep things the same. Pristine? How has that worked out whenever humans think they can do better?

It doesn't really matter in the end, let it run its course. Silly and arrogant to think otherwise.

I was simply pointing out one verifiable mechanism for what is otherwise well known, and PROVEN.

But since your panties are in such a bunch, you should realize that It's a much higher level of 'arrogance' to do nothing.

On the other hand, some people could give a Rat's ass about what kind of a world we leave behind for future generations.

I am not all wound about about it. I just think the enviro movement has reached its emotional apex. Now even it (enviro movement) is starting to eff itself up and cause unintended consequences with its own arrogance.

Along the line of ecomomy vs. environment, we need to carefully think through solutions instead of knee jerk emotions. I am not saying those knee jerk emotions didn't have a place in cleaning things up, they very much did. WE in this country aren't living in Donora, PA circa 1948 anymore.

I hear what you are saying, I agree to disagree on the road we should travel.

I recall that year being 1991, but I could be mistaken. I remember it was actually 97 degrees on April 1st. of that year.(No April fools joke)

A volcano in the Philippines blew its top, and the rest of the spring, and summer was quite cool. The temp. only rose above 80 once that summer, if I recall correctly.

Any coincidence that Indonesia has been having major volcanic activity recently?

In getting back to the original theme and changing such sour tones... Here is some thing that is an awesome essay of photos... Lakes related:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/great-lakes-are-the-greatest-photos_n_3846351.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

I'm not a "Carbon Tax" guy if that's what you mean. I do believe that we have to transition away from a fossil fuel economy, as the increasing acidification of the oceans will become really problematic in the next century. I'm all for attempting to offset those problems now. I am NOT in favor of taxes that in the end will make our lives miserable in the present timeframe. There are a number of possibilities regarding Co2 sequestration. Some of them are actually quite simple. If Global Warming(Or, however you wish to refer to it) simply meant palm trees in Buffalo, I'd be completely on board with it. The problem with the increasing mean temperature of the Earth, is that the distribution of this heat is not uniform, hence we have all of these 'crazy' weather patterns that we are seeing.

Let's communize the world. That'll fix it.

Communist countries have been the worst polluters, they don't care what impact their actions have on the rest of the world.

But Al Gore will communize it right.

If your opinion on this matter is someone else's compartmentalized, cookie cutter brush off, so be it.

Can't help you out with that.

Do some research. - Might do you some good, rather than listening to some talk show ignoramus....

You could read ten trillion pages explaining why being communist will wok or you could observe the real world for a tenth of a second to see that it doesn't.