Chris Brown: Buffalo has virtually no dire positional needs

Beerball

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're reading too much into a standard issue, pre-draft, disinformation piece.

GO BILLS!!!

You're giving Chris Brown too much credit by issuing a disinformation piece. Maybe back in the day, 20 years ago, teams would attempt to do this but with today's coverage, analytic info and 24/7 information available I would imagine teams don't spend much time trying to send out disinformation.

Honestly, if you want to know much about the Buffalo Bills which site would you use:

ESPN

BuffaloBills.com

TwoBillsDrive & Forums

Buffalo News

You're giving Chris Brown too much credit by issuing a disinformation piece. Maybe back in the day, 20 years ago, teams would attempt to do this but with today's coverage, analytic info and 24/7 information available I would imagine teams don't spend much time trying to send out disinformation.

You're kidding, right?

Buffalobills.com, or baltimoreravens.com, or denverbroncos.com or any of these sites exist to promote product. Of course they put out disinformation pieces. These sites are there to drum up interest. They may be selectively critical to be able to inoculate themselves against charges of complete homerism, but they are there for no other reason than to act as an extension from the team's PR department to the casual fan.

You're kidding, right?

Buffalobills.com, or baltimoreravens.com, or denverbroncos.com or any of these sites exist to promote product. Of course they put out disinformation pieces. These sites are there to drum up interest. They may be selectively critical to be able to inoculate themselves against charges of complete homerism, but they are there for no other reason than to act as an extension from the team's PR department to the casual fan.

Not kidding. I don't mean simply depth charts, or how running back B is feeling after offseason rest, or such fluff pieces. Few team sites actually promote more then just homerism and delve in to real analysis. Forums and fan sites do much more of this.

Do you agree?

http://www.buffalobi...b9-f9208ec14e72

I'd say LG and one right side lineman are dire as is LB. What say you?

Not dire, but obvious needs exist at WR (the players may be on the roster but they haven't proven it yet) and TE.

I can't see how it's possible that a 6-10 team has no dire needs...There's got to be a couple...I think LG would definitely be one...And a true #1 WR would be another... B-)

That Steelers game was really, really painful as well.

Yea man, I recall. Its games like these against poor opponents that stand out to me so vividly. If the Bills look so completely inept against bad teams, then how on earth would they look against the very best, 49ers, Seattle, Denver.

There was a reason why the team was 6-10. In the fourth quarter with the game on the line they can't control anything!! They beat the Panthers by one point. They beat the Ravens by 3 points. They beat the Dolphins by 2 points. They won 3 early games by a total of 6 points.

In week 10 the Pittsburgh Steelers were a bad 3-6 team and their season reeling away. They play the Bills and manhandle the Bills O line in every aspect. Not only were the Bills unable to run or pass, as it was constant 3 downs and out. EJ was only sacked 3 times, but he had a very difficult time against a bad defense. EJ 22-39 for 155, and most of those yards at the end of the game in garbage time. Spiller 8 for 23 yards. Jackson 12 for 55 yards.

In week 14 the 4-10 Tampa Bay Bucs was another debacle as EJ was intercepted 4x, 18 of 33 for 184 yards. Spiller 11 rushes for 22 yards, Jackson 5 rushes for 12 yards. It was a pathetic effort all around by that Bills O line.

Like I said earlier, the Bills managed to find some top talent in free agency and in a trade for the defense last season leaves me to believe they can easily find another LBer or two the very same way.

OTOH, look what happened when they tried to replace the LG! They ended up cutting both the starting replacement at G and the back up by week 6. They were exceedingly lucky to have the backup center available to step in at LG for the remaining games. Even then the backups were directly off the waiver wire.

Would you want to finish the season with scrubs like those on the defense?

Three of the five starters on that line should be quantified as backups, and replaced by three quality starting players. 16th in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking, and one of the very worst teams in sustaining offensive drives. They only had 10 drives that lasted 5 min or more all season.

yet so many fans clamoring for skill players.... It boggles my mind. The Bills have at least two dire needs for that O line, possibly three.

Look at this chart, 3 below average starters https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/13/projected-lineups-buffalo-bills/

I can't see how it's possible that a 6-10 team has no dire needs...There's got to be a couple...I think LG would definitely be one...And a true #1 WR would be another... B-)

Lineup-BUF1.png

Yea man, I recall. Its games like these against poor opponents that stand out to me so vividly. If the Bills look so completely inept against bad teams, then how on earth would they look against the very best, 49ers, Seattle, Denver.

There was a reason why the team was 6-10. In the fourth quarter with the game on the line they can't control anything!! They beat the Panthers by one point. They beat the Ravens by 3 points. They beat the Dolphins by 2 points. They won 3 early games by a total of 6 points.

In week 10 the Pittsburgh Steelers were a bad 3-6 team and their season reeling away. They play the Bills and manhandle the Bills O line in every aspect. Not only were the Bills unable to run or pass, as it was constant 3 downs and out. EJ was only sacked 3 times, but he had a very difficult time against a bad defense. EJ 22-39 for 155, and most of those yards at the end of the game in garbage time. Spiller 8 for 23 yards. Jackson 12 for 55 yards.

In week 14 the 4-10 Tampa Bay Bucs was another debacle as EJ was intercepted 4x, 18 of 33 for 184 yards. Spiller 11 rushes for 22 yards, Jackson 5 rushes for 12 yards. It was a pathetic effort all around by that Bills O line.

Like I said earlier, the Bills managed to find some top talent in free agency and in a trade for the defense last season leaves me to believe they can easily find another LBer or two the very same way.

OTOH, look what happened when they tried to replace the LG! They ended up cutting both the starting replacement at G and the back up by week 6. They were exceedingly lucky to have the backup center available to step in at LG for the remaining games. Even then the backups were directly off the waiver wire.

Three of the five starters on that line should be quantified as backups, and replaced by three quality starting players. 16th in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking, and one of the very worst teams in sustaining offensive drives. They only had 10 drives that lasted 5 min or more all season.

yet so many fans clamoring for skill players.... It boggles my mind. The Bills have at least two dire needs for that O line, possibly three.

Look at this chart, 3 below average starters https://www.profootb...-buffalo-bills/

Lineup-BUF1.png

I think this is an interesting chart... I disagree on Wood, though. I think he'd be in the green. Also, Byrd is under team control and is top-5, so #1 need can't possibly be FS until he is no longer a Bill. I would still say that LG ranks higher on this list, because Pears is more serviceable than Legursky.

Look at this chart, 3 below average starters https://www.profootb...-buffalo-bills/

Lineup-BUF1.png

We discussed this chart in another thread, but my understanding of it is a dire need would equate to names in the red. We have none. If you look at other teams, they do have names in the red. Take PFF FWIW, but that is what CB is talking about as "dire need." W1 is not a "dire need" - it is a position that needs upgraded. I just think fans look at this term and read into it differently than a FO does.

We discussed this chart in another thread, but my understanding of it is a dire need would equate to names in the red. We have none. If you look at other teams, they do have names in the red. Take PFF FWIW, but that is what CB is talking about as "dire need." W1 is not a "dire need" - it is a position that needs upgraded. I just think fans look at this term and read into it differently than a FO does.

So the distinction is basically the word "dire" right? Because the Bills obviously have big needs...Or at the very least have positions that could use a big-time upgrade... B-)

I think you are right and naturally every team thinks that their weakest positions are "dire needs." It's a semantical argument but I don't think that you can have dire needs at certain positions. I really like Brian Moorman for example but he is done. Punter is a weakness but not a dire need. If you go into the season with Moorman you are worse off but it is not going to drastically alter your record.

chris brown is a paid mouthpiece.

attempting to sell the notion the bills have no dire positional needs is delusional.

the spin machine selling "hope" for 2014 is cranking up.

a Franchise QB is "DIRE" !!!!!! EJ is mediocre.

a LG is "dire" !!!!! legursky ??? are you kidding me ??

a TE is "dire" !!!! lee smith ??? are you kidding me ??

So the distinction is basically the word "dire" right? Because the Bills obviously have big needs...Or at the very least have positions that could use a big-time upgrade... B-)

Maybe the definition is something like: if there is a name penciled in at every starting spot, then there are "almost dire needs."

To be fair though, when has the company line been anything other than that the team has more talent now [than when the last guy was here]? Meanwhile, they haven't reached as many wins as a Dick Jauron team yet.

Honestly, if you want to know much about the Buffalo Bills which site would you use:

ESPN

BuffaloBills.com

TwoBillsDrive & Forums

Buffalo News

I was being facetious.

And although there is a much heavier stream of information from infinitely more sources nowadays, it's often easier to manipulate it as a result.

GO BILLS!!!