The Ukraine is Weak

meazza

You'll have to remind me of which part of The Prince detailed how reset buttons and a generally pathetic foreign policy consisting of imaginary red lines and empty bluster is the best way to lure a foe into invading their neighbor resulting in a short term shock to their capital markets.

the ends...once again you miss the forest. perhaps you have a clearer crystal ball than the forbes russian economic expert but he doesn't think it ends well for the russian economy. Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell do ya'll respond to gatortroll?

Ya'll knock on ...lybob and Birddog but they never get mixed up with the idiot. Not even RLB sinks to Gator's level. It's one thing to provide a counter to what is common here as ...lybob and Birddog try/do and it is fun to watch RLB get involved. But, Gator serves no purpose then to get a rise and ya'll let him.

Edited by jboyst62

the ends...once again you miss the forest. perhaps you have a clearer crystal ball than the forbes russian economic expert but he doesn't think it ends well for the russian economy.

I'll set aside the anachronism for now and ask how in the hell you interpret 5 years of failed dealings with Russia and then lucking into a "catastrophic" short term shock to their capital markets as Machiavellian? Where does Machiavelli champion dumb luck bailing out incompetence?

I'll set aside the anachronism for now and ask how in the hell you interpret 5 years of failed dealings with Russia and then lucking into a "catastrophic" short term shock to their capital markets as Machiavellian? Where does Machiavelli champion dumb luck bailing out incompetence?

who is being dumb here? i'd say putin. give the man enough rope...maybe obama saw that in him. it certainly seemed a reasonable theory to me. and again, what would be the response in the west to an 11% one day drop in equities in the us markets? what was the biggest one day drop in 2008? how'd that year play out for our prestige, economic power and reserve currency stability? ya think it can't happen to russia? is the g8 meaningless?

here you go. it's a very similar drop on 10/29/29: http://en.wikipedia....ustrial_Average

Edited by birdog1960

who is being dumb here? i'd say putin. give the man enough rope...maybe obama saw that in him. it certainly seemed a reasonable theory to me. and again, what would be the response in the west to an 11% one day drop in equities in the us markets? what was the biggest one day drop in 2008? how'd that year play out for our prestige, economic power and reserve currency stability? ya think it can't happen to russia? is the g8 meaningless?

here you go. it's avery similar drop on 10/13/08: http://en.wikipedia....ustrial_Average

Yes that was all part of his master plan. Of course what's even dumber is you thinking that the MICEX is the same as the DJIA in terms of importance. Those EM indices are sure known for their stability and lack of volatility.

Edited by meazza

i'm interested in your prediction for tbe russian economy should they continue invading ukraine. i'll go on record agreeing with the forbes writer. you?

I'll go on saying two things

1) Given the level of inequality in Russia, I don't think Putin gives a !@#$ about the stock market.

2) The MICEX and Russian assets in general are highly volatile.

But you've been wrong many times so who cares really?

I'll go on saying two things

1) Given the level of inequality in Russia, I don't think Putin gives a !@#$ about the stock market.

2) The MICEX and Russian assets in general are highly volatile.

But you've been wrong many times so who cares really?

well that's pretty noncommittal. it's easy to not be wrong with such daring predictions.

there's volatility and then there's this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-03/russian-micex-set-for-biggest-drop-since-2009-on-ukraine-tension.html

Edited by birdog1960

Apparently (according to Aljazeera, no link), Angela Merkel spoke to Obama after calling Putin and reportedly said Putin has lost touch with reality. She was quoted as saying something along the lines of "he doesn't know what planet he's on."

It's coming from sources inside the White House so take it with a grain of salt. But if true, that's chilling considering the source.

Apparently (according to Aljazeera, no link), Angela Merkel spoke to Obama after calling Putin and reportedly said Putin has lost touch with reality. She was quoted as saying something along the lines of "he doesn't know what planet he's on."

It's coming from sources inside the White House so take it with a grain of salt. But if true, that's chilling considering the source.

NYT has the same quote.

Odd I always thought the Russians were a stable and rational people.

well that's pretty noncommittal. it's easy to not be wrong with such daring predictions.

there's volatility and then there's this: http://www.bloomberg...ne-tension.html

The fatal flaw in your analysis being the assumption that Putin gives a ****. Hell, Gazprom probably takes payment in Euros, so a weakened ruble might actually benefit them.

I should have said "one of" the fatal flaws. The other being that the Dow fell 150 points today (and down as much as 250 intra-day), which by your asinine logic would indicate that's an indictment of Obama's policies. :wacko:

The fatal flaw in your analysis being the assumption that Putin gives a ****. Hell, Gazprom probably takes payment in Euros, so a weakened ruble might actually benefit them.

I should have said "one of" the fatal flaws. The other being that the Dow fell 150 points today (and down as much as 250 intra-day), which by your asinine logic would indicate that's an indictment of Obama's policies. :wacko:

well your analogy is only off by a factor of 10. so there's that.

BRET STEPHENS:

Anatomy Of A Feckless Presidency: Gone are the days when the American president was capable of articulating the American interest.

You have to believe in it, to be able to articulate it.

Plus: “Mr. Putin’s Russia is a petro-oligarchy whose survival depends on high oil prices and privileged access to the West for the politically connected elite.

Raise interest rates,

investigate the finances of Mr. Putin’s inner circle,

impose travel bans on Putin’s cronies and broaden the scope of the Magnitsky Act,

and we’ll see just how resilient the Moscow regime really is.

Start coastal drilling and oil exports.

And if the NSA doesn’t know where Putin’s offshore money is parked, it should be abolished.

USA TODAY:

“Perhaps the most surprising thing about Russia’s weekend invasion of Crimea is that the U.S. and its allies were caught so flat-footed, groping for a response that didn’t look weak and ineffectual.”

Um, at this point, is that really surprising?

Edited by B-Man

http://scrappleface.com/2014/03/03/troops-in-crimea-merely-fetching-stray-sochi-dogs/

(2014-03-03) — Russian President Vladimir Putin scoffed at President Barack Obama’s suggestion that Russian troops invaded the Crimea region of Ukraine over the weekend, insisting volunteers went on a “mission of mercy” to retrieve stray dogs from Sochi.

“Obama knows nothing of our Russian compassion,” said Mr. Putin, as the former KGB boss suckled a rescued puppy at the bosom of his pet tiger. “The Olympic tourists disturbed our beloved freedom dogs, some of which ran far away, to Crimea.”

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/03/03/andrew-coyne-russia-enabled-by-wests-foreign-policies-of-vacillation-uncertainty/

Well, that’s not fair. A leading British anti-war organization, Stop The War, issued a release that not only refrained from criticizing Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine, but blamed the whole crisis squarely on the West. It was the U.S. and Europe, it said, which “ever since the end of the Cold War … have been intent on surrounding Russia with military bases and puppet regimes sympathetic to the West.” A scholar of Russian history, Stephen Cohen, went on TV to argue forcefully that “Putin had no choice."

Online, arguments that a civilized world cannot permit countries simply to carve off bits of each other at will were met with the usual hail of false equivalencies — what about the invasion of Iraq, then? What about the 1999 NATO bombing campaign in Kosovo? What about Israel’s “occupation” of the West Bank? George Orwell argued pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants. He probably never imagined they would become their PR reps.

Edited by meazza

"Let’s be real. It’s one thing to say that Russia’s takeover of the Crimean Peninsula “cannot be allowed to stand,” as many foreign policy sages have proclaimed. It’s quite another to do something about it.

Is it just me, or does the rhetoric about the crisis in Ukraine sound as if all of Washington is suffering from amnesia? We’re supposed to be shocked — shocked! — that a great military power would cook up a pretext to invade a smaller, weaker nation? I’m sorry, but has everyone forgotten the unfortunate events in Iraq a few years ago?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-with-ukraine-crisis-the-us-has-a-credibility-problem/2014/03/03/f8f6a58a-a311-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html