Microaggression

meazza

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/19/robyn-urback-at-mcgill-the-social-outrage-machine-rages-on/

I learned a new word today.

Universities are incubators of social outrage. The worst cultivators, by and large, are student political leaders, who self-righteously call out perceived injustices from their pedestals of inflated importance. A glib remark from a professor will beget a multi-day campus protest. A broken step will solicit a forum on accessibility. A rise in administration fees is a campus-level Vietnam draft. It’s exhausting.

“Honestly midterms get out of here,” Farnan wrote, followed by a .GIF image (which is sort of like a looped moving picture) of U.S. President Barack Obama walking away from a press conference and kicking down a door. The clip was obviously fake, created as part of a gag for the Tonight Show several years ago. But its inclusion in Farnan’s weekly email was enough to provoke a formal complaint to SSMU’s equity committee.

According to the McGill Tribunethe months that followed consisted of various informal and formal resolution proceedings, which included assessment by the SSMU equity officer and a confidential vote during a December council meeting. All because the inclusion of the Obama .GIF was an example of “microaggression.

The term “microagression” is a favourite, somewhat de jour word of social significance that is used to describe racial or other verbal or behavioural slights that are committed knowingly or unknowingly. Assuming your Japanese friend is an expert at using chopsticks might be an example. Asking a gay man for fashion advice just because he is gay is another. It’s a subtle, passive expression of prejudice, and a favourite for easily offended university students since anything, really, can be an expression of microagression. Even the denial of its existence in certain situations.

The very fact that you posted the above lifts your skirts of intolerance, you microaggressor you! (On the other hand, my assumption of your attitudes does in no way imply the fanning of a mini-climate of microagression.)

The original "inventor" of the term is, surprise surprise, a professor from UCLA. As an example, getting up and offering your seat to a black woman is considered micro aggression (heard this on the radio).

Edited by meazza

The original "inventor" of the term is, surprise surprise, a professor from UCLA. As an example, getting up and offering your seat to a black woman is considered micro aggression (heard this on the radio).

Is your seat in the front or the back of the bus?

Microaggression alert.

You may know that I am tracking the term/concept "microaggression." Therefore, I must point out this Buzzfeed article:

"19 LGBT Microaggressions You Hear On A Daily Basis."

I'm starting to feel like pointing out a microaggression is a microaggression.

Passive Microaggression : Claiming microaggression is a way to control others.

Now this Microaggression is funny (video at link)

By the way, the idea of microaggression is a secular version of the scrupulously religious believer's concept of sin.

There are all these little wrongs you might be committing, and you should become aware of them and apply conscious effort to eliminating them. The religious person might believe that God watches and cares about these tiny infractions

. The purveyors of the concept of microaggression seek to instill a conscience about the smallest things, but unlike those who define sin very broadly and call believers to seek perfection, they are shaming even those who have not yet signed on to the broad definition of what counts as wrong, and they want to enforce their strict demands through the exercise of power in this world.

I wonder if he realizes that it's "microaggression" to assume someone who leans right listens to Glenn Beck.

He's a complete idiot. He is the same guy who thought Lois Lerner was a guy. He actually stated that he had a tape of Louis Lerner and Louis never claimed that he even worked for the IRS.

He's a complete idiot. He is the same guy who thought Lois Lerner was a guy. He actually stated that he had a tape of Louis Lerner and Louis never claimed that he even worked for the IRS.

Saying someone thought Lous Lerner was a guy suggests she might indeed look a little guyish. Microaggressor.

BTW I am guessing that Beerboy hasn't opened this thread because he thinks we are all joking about part of his anatomy.

I'd be more right than wrong in saying it.

No, you wouldn't. You'd be an idiot making baseless assumptions.

But anyway, from your anti statist position, wasn't Bush just as bad or even worse than Obama in building up Federal power and all that?

President Bush was awful, and until President Obama came into office, I couldn't have imagined a president worse for individual liberty; but President Obama has managed to out do him by building upon the last President's usurpations with his own massive power grabs, which now include making law by deceree from a podium.