Devil's Advocate

Tipster19

I have been consumed thinking about what direction the Bills might take once again. Let me now state a couple of disclaimers before I get started. The following names and speculations are only examples of what I believe we need to do. This post is designed for theory and philosophy, not specifics, meaning the names I'm using may not be the exact players that we obtain but the strategy is what I feel is important to us succeeding more than we did last year. Also as you can guess I'm not a "professional" writer so I'm just going to blow through some thoughts, even if it's not in the proper form. Warning! This is not a short post so if anyone is looking for a quick read then this post is not for you! So with no further ado here is my 2 cents worth.

In the following scenarios I have us retaining Jairus Byrd by whatever means and the Bills trading Stevie Johnson to the Browns where he'll be a great compliment to Josh Gordon. I believe that we would only be able to get a 4th rder for him though. The guy was a 7th rder and has shown, at least to me, that he's not a #1 WR, Clearing the books of him would only be an added bonus as well. Not only will we draft his eventual replacement I also expect a very good year out of newly acquired Ramses Barden. Here's what would improve us in the draft imo, not only for the present but for the future as well. One thing I would like to mention is that I think that is important and I don't want it to not get recognized. I looked over the roster and man our team is young! Not only do we currently have some players and a solid foundation but we are also going to have a good team for years to come if we manage the salary cap properly.Here's my mock draft:

Round 1- Pick #9

I've been anticipating for quite some time that the Bills will take a LB (Khalil Mack?) with their first pick (#9) if they don't trade up or down in the draft. After seeing how much Manuel has been critiqued this off season and thinking about his 3 knee injuries I now believe that it would be in the Bills best interest to try and protect him the best way they can and make their commitment to him being our franchise QB work. For this reason the Bills will draft a OT at #9. I also think that we have to reinforce this position (QB)better than we did last year. Although I love Thad Lewis' grittiest we still need to add more insurance. After Manuel and then Lewis went down I don't want it to ever come to relying on Jeff Tuel again, For this reason alone I want to see us add a veteran arm back there. I would like to see us add a veteran like Shaun Hill to our roster and send Tuel to the PS. Having him backing Manuel is a lot more secure in case of injury. Having Manuel, Hill and Lewis would be a very nice QB platoon in my opinion.Many of the draftniks are predicting OT Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews as our first selection but I expect them to be already taken by St Louis and Atlanta by the time we pick. This leaves Michigan's OT Taylor Lewan available and he's actually a better pick for us. First off he's mammoth and also has a nasty demeanor. I think that we need some attitude up on our OL and this guy will bring exactly that. What he lacks in technique, Marrone, being an ex-OL himself, will compensate for it.

Round 2- Pick #41

Here's where we get our WR. As in Robert Woods it would be in our best interest to try and take a WR that is more pro ready. Penn State's WR Allen Robinson fits that bill, coming out of Bill O'Brien's offense will make a huge difference in his learning curve. He's big, he's agile and he's physical and anytime that we can tap into Belichick's coaching tree is an added bonus for us.

Round 3- Pick #73

Here I'm sure is not going to be the most popular selection but referring to injuries once again I think that here is where we should find FJax's future heir. West Virginia's RB Charles Sims would be that big RB who can catch out of the backfield. Some compare him to Matt Forte and if we have the opportunity to get a RB like that then we should jump on it and never look back.

Round 4- Pick #102 (Cleveland's)

Buffalo has never been a franchise that went all in on a flashy TE and this year is no different. Here's where the Bills take a safe pick and select Iowa's TE C.J Fiedorowicz. He's a good solid blocker with up the field ability.Round 4- Pick #105The Bills continue to build their OL and protect EJ with their next pick. The Bills pair up newly drafted LT Taylor Lewan with G Dakota Dozier and solidify the OL. Here's a G that's quick off the snap as a run blocker and gets into the holes swiftly when asked to trap or pull. The biggest beneficiary to this revamped OL is going to be Spiller. Now this will complete the offense and they will be able to control the clock while still being able to make the splash plays.

Round 5- Pick #169

It's time to pair up LSU's MLB Lamin Barrow with Kiko. His range is outstanding and has a frame that can put on weight. His versatility of playing inside or out is an added plus for a defense that is in a transition in philosophy.

The last couple of rounds of the draft can be for whatever is deemed fit. CBs, LBs etc based on who is the best talent available.As far as free agency goes it has already been stated that we shouldn't expect for us to be big participants in it and I don't but I do expect some good depth kind of players to come in at a reasonable price. One being Arizona's FA DE Frostee Rucker. He can help hold down the left end in a rotational role. I'm sure that there could be another player or two that can be added but for now I think that if we were to execute most of the above that it would bring effective results all the while the Bills manage the salary cap.

Edited by Tipster19

I all for a draft like this, and finding Fjaxs replacement is always on my mind especially if we can get the guy to save his tires. My big question, and really i'm pretty sure the almost entirety of the board would agree on this is, could you/would you do a draft where we trade out of the #9 spot and show us the result?

I really do not want Lewan. Love Robinson. Like Sims. Love fiedorowicz. Love dozier. Barrow is good value in rd 5 but I see him as another Bradham. A guy not good enough to start. If we can fill the other Lb spot via FA, I love the draft....but I'm really praying for Robinson, Matthews or Watkins. Even Mack, Mosley, Barr or ebron. I just don't think Lewan is worth the 9th pick. I like Sims, but I think I'd rather wait on a RB in this draft til round 4-6. The talent level is pretty comparable at RB in rds 2-5 this year IMO.

Resigning or trading Byrd needs to be on the agenda. If we tag him again and he hits FA, he nets us nothing in 2015. I prefer to pay the man and let him do his this in center field the next 4-5 years. He a difference maker on D.

Edited by NewEra

I all for a draft like this, and finding Fjaxs replacement is always on my mind especially if we can get the guy to save his tires. My big question, and really i'm pretty sure the almost entirety of the board would agree on this is, could you/would you do a draft where we trade out of the #9 spot and show us the result?

Excellent post. Very articulate and thought prevoking. Well done