Let's all have a nice big pity party for these Millennials

Here are the LinkedIn profiles for the people mentioned in the article:

http://www.linkedin....in/leafaminiano

I've got $10 bucks says this chick will get a full time government job for her gig to teach kids how to do pretty graffiti. The idea is actually a good one, and God knows there are more than a few rich elite libs who have a friend of a friend who knows someone who closes bridges that lead to NJ.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is comedy gold. Have these millennium bitches heard about running your own practice and starting a side business to make additional money to support a family?? Amazing how coddled Americans have become.

Stop being so microaggressive.

If I had more time id job search 5 miles of their zip code and send them an email for each and every one they qualify for. I guess its too much to start at the bottom and work your way up.

My GF's dad started at a feed lot then worked at a stereo equipment store. Took it over. Went to college. And eventually became an Exec. VP of advertising for a major SouthEast bank. For a guy who was raised in a house with dirt floors and slept in an unfurnished, non insulted attic he made his way.

If I had more time id job search 5 miles of their zip code and send them an email for each and every one they qualify for. I guess its too much to start at the bottom and work your way up.

My GF's dad started at a feed lot then worked at a stereo equipment store. Took it over. Went to college. And eventually became an Exec. VP of advertising for a major SouthEast bank. For a guy who was raised in a house with dirt floors and slept in an unfurnished, non insulted attic he made his way.

They insult attics down your way?

This thread is comedy gold. Have these millennium bitches heard about running your own practice and starting a side business to make additional money to support a family?? Amazing how coddled Americans have become.

Amen.

I look at how hard my grandfather worked and the impact the depression had on him. His philosophy was the route to a better job was taking the best one available, work hard at it, get noticed and then take the next best thing available. Additionally, it seems to me that too many parents have raised their kids in a way that suggests the easy road is the better road.

If you want a job nowadays get yourself a degree in a math or science centric field of study and get an internship doing real work at a real company working for a boss who will push you to do more.

"The youth these days, they suck."

-said every older generation ever

Pretty sure this topic is a little reactionary.

This is a generation that has it easier than previous and I'm not an old man. At least I had it a lot easier than my parents.

"The youth these days, they suck."

-said every older generation ever

Pretty sure this topic is a little reactionary.

No doubt I had it easier than my grandparents and parents but I would argue today there is too much a sentiment of entitlement and wanting things quickly or easily. There is little sense of sacrifice and I blame the most recent round of parents. They give their kids a lot, they drive them around and they tell them that having a job at a young age is far less important than other activities and much as the name helicopter parent implies they hover over them.

It's not about a set of differences between the generations, it's about values and how those values manifest themselves in actions that matter.

This is a generation that has it easier than previous and I'm not an old man. At least I had it a lot easier than my parents.

This isn't entirely true. It depends on what you're basing "easier" on. Advances in technology, medicine, transportation and communication have shrunk the world, made it more competitive than ever before and, some would argue, more precarious than ever before. The generations coming up behind us today have to deal with a host of issues that the Boomers or even X and Y never had to face.

Worse, most of the milenials came of working age into an economy that was suffering from not only the worst recession in 70 years, but a Boomer generation that, thanks to expanding life-spans and the ability to productively work well past 65, is entrenched in many of the middle management positions that, twenty years ago, would have gone to the new wave of graduates / younger folks to work their way up. Add in that the manufacturing base, the one that provided jobs for all segments of our economy to work in the post WWII boom, have been decimated over the past 20+ years as muscle jobs were shipped overseas and suddenly you have generations of eager to work Americans with less and less opportunities to find employment.

While this generation has it easy in some respects, they have it harder in many more.

All that said, anyone working as an unpaid intern at 29 in the entertainment industry is a moron.

This isn't entirely true. It depends on what you're basing "easier" on. Advances in technology, medicine, transportation and communication have shrunk the world, made it more competitive than ever before and, some would argue, more precarious than ever before. The generations coming up behind us today have to deal with a host of issues that the Boomers or even X and Y never had to face.

Worse, most of the milenials came of working age into an economy that was suffering from not only the worst recession in 70 years, but a Boomer generation that, thanks to expanding life-spans and the ability to productively work well past 65, is entrenched in many of the middle management positions that, twenty years ago, would have gone to the new wave of graduates / younger folks to work their way up. Add in that the manufacturing base, the one that provided jobs for all segments of our economy to work in the post WWII boom, have been decimated over the past 20+ years as muscle jobs were shipped overseas and suddenly you have generations of eager to work Americans with less and less opportunities to find employment.

While this generation has it easy in some respects, they have it harder in many more.

All that said, anyone working as an unpaid intern at 29 in the entertainment industry is a moron.

My parents worked 7 days a week while supporting 4 children. They never took a vacation and didn't know the word "luxury". I on the other hand work 35 hour weeks and am paid overtime if I do more with 4-5 weeks vacation a year in which I travel. Even if I keep my current job, I'll still have earned significantly more than they have ever dreamed of earning.

Yes there are some sectors that are not doing well but overall, I never had to go through the same **** they had to.

The only difference is buying a house is much more difficult now than it was in their time.

Edited by meazza

The only difference is buying a house is much more difficult now than it was in their time.

Is it really or are our expectations of what is minimally acceptable significantly higher? Now people expect more square footage and better finish out. Additionally, they are less prone to maintain it themselves.