Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially in light of the recent revelation of the text messages, it's a HELL NO for me...and I was an Incognito basher from the start, so that says something to me... Is Incognito probably still an A-1 jerk? Most likely, yes - based on more than just this Martin thing, but given the duplicity of Martin involved in all of this and what appears to be an ever-so-fragile state of mind, no thanks. Besides, I think this team needs leadership, not more followers.

What actually sparked his leaving the team was during a meal when he was invited over to the O lineman's table and after he sat down at it, all the others got up and left. This tells me that the entire line, and backups didn't like the guy.

Before ending up on injured reserve in 2012 Martin graded out at (-22.0), and he allowed 4 sacks thru week 5 in 2013. In week 7 Miami against the Buffalo Bills Martin graded at (-4.2) in pass protection and allowed 7 pressures (3 hits, 4 hurries) on the Miami QB. ...HE SUCKS! Between Martin & RT Tyson Clabo they allowed 16 pressures on 23 of his dropbacks. He was letting Talleywhacker get killed.

There was a real reason his teammates didn't like him. I look at him as pvt Gomer Pyle in FMJ, as a real F-up at the pro level.

I'd rather see Pears at RT again...

Edited by FeartheLosing

with all the molecules zinging around in the world, bouncing into/off of/around each other, there were two guys in the league who ended up sitting out the season due to a bullying scandal. one guy says one thing, the other guy says something else, the league investigates, the team deals with it and blah blah blah. my general rule of thumb: when someone else has a problem, why make it yours?

Incognito's team suspended him, so it's not like there was no reason to believe he was fully in the wrong. There was a lot of smoke around this, however the fire started.

Also, it doesn't mean bullying is any less of a problem, or that the team might have been deadly stupid for making Incognito one of its leaders.

How do you pull the bolded out of what is now going on. It clearly appears that bullying isn't what was happening in this situation and it was blown out of proportion by the media. Also many players backed Incognito in the immediate aftermath of this. Maybe he had grown up, or maybe he is a good leader (lots of leaders aren't nice guys - think Patton), or maybe they respected his fire. They're are still a lot of facts and details to come out of this but it sure appears that many used their previous thoughts of RI and instantly believed the narrative.

Incognito's team suspended him, so it's not like there was no reason to believe he was fully in the wrong. There was a lot of smoke around this, however the fire started.

Also, it doesn't mean bullying is any less of a problem, or that the team might have been deadly stupid for making Incognito one of its leaders.

You're joking, right? Given the storm of bad press this hoax initially elicited, they had no choice.

We are hearing allegations that WEO was bullied. Several posters have been suspended without pay.

Unlikely--this place is a locker room full of Jonny Martins....

I think a lot of that certainy came from the fact it involved RI. He's a pretty crappy human being. You sometimes consider the source. Guys like RI or Pacman Jones are known a holes. And probably since people shouldn't jump to conclusions in hte first place, let's not jump to conclusions because of this. RI isn't a saint.

But that's the rub. Knowing RI's history and the highly charged narrative that was being spun as the story was breaking, there was almost no support for Martin's side from the Dolphins' players. I think it was basically zero. That's why the public narrative didn't make sense to me then. There were ample opportunities for Dolphin players to throw RI under the bus. Yet, none of them did, and they publicly backed Richie. Yet, few in the media and public took time to decipher that anomaly in the story.

How do you pull the bolded out of what is now going on. It clearly appears that bullying isn't what was happening in this situation and it was blown out of proportion by the media. Also many players backed Incognito in the immediate aftermath of this. Maybe he had grown up, or maybe he is a good leader (lots of leaders aren't nice guys - think Patton), or maybe they respected his fire. They're are still a lot of facts and details to come out of this but it sure appears that many used their previous thoughts of RI and instantly believed the narrative.

I am sorry, I should have been clearer. My point is that it doesn't mean that bullying isn't going on in the league, not specifically this situation.

And I feel that what Martin has done actually does a disservice to those players who are being legitimately bullied, whether it's into spending tens of thousands of dollars on "voluntary" team functions or into playing with injury, etc etc.

You're joking, right? Given the storm of bad press this hoax initially elicited, they had no choice.

We had the choice of believing it and looking at the Dolphins' move as a confirmation of what was happening, or of being skeptical. It turns out that the latter was probably the right approach. I suppose that an angel gets its wings every time a certain kind of person gets told they were right around here.

I am sorry, I should have been clearer. My point is that it doesn't mean that bullying isn't going on in the league, not specifically this situation.

And I feel that what Martin has done actually does a disservice to those players who are being legitimately bullied, whether it's into spending tens of thousands of dollars on "voluntary" team functions or into playing with injury, etc etc.

We had the choice of believing it and looking at the Dolphins' move as a confirmation of what was happening, or of being skeptical. It turns out that the latter was probably the right approach. I suppose that an angel gets its wings every time a certain kind of person gets told they were right around here.

Yes, we did--no matter how ridiculous it sounded at the time (they walks off the team and checks into a hospital--for bullying?--despite other team members claiming the guy had been part of the shenanigans?)....or not believing.

it's not about being proven right, it's about pointing out the self-righteous chest beating some do without any critical review of their position on an incredible (literally) topic. And of course all the backtracking we are now treated to and the "well, this is still a big problem you guys...".

But that's the rub. Knowing RI's history and the highly charged narrative that was being spun as the story was breaking, there was almost no support for Martin's side from the Dolphins' players. I think it was basically zero. That's why the public narrative didn't make sense to me then. There were ample opportunities for Dolphin players to throw RI under the bus. Yet, none of them did, and they publicly backed Richie. Yet, few in the media and public took time to decipher that anomaly in the story.

Are Pouncey (Free Hernandez) or Bryant McKinnie (Love Boat captain) really solid sources? Fact is if you act like a giant idiot (RI) and surround yourself by shaky guys, you lose the benefit of the doubt.

If it was Eric Wood who was accused of this, I'd be shocked. But it's a dude who has a shady history. And I'm still not ready to call RI innocent either. But I might be wrong in not thinking Martin had a lot more issues than I thought.

Yes, we did--no matter how ridiculous it sounded at the time (they walks off the team and checks into a hospital--for bullying?--despite other team members claiming the guy had been part of the shenanigans?)....or not believing.

it's not about being proven right, it's about pointing out the self-righteous chest beating some do without any critical review of their position on an incredible (literally) topic. And of course all the backtracking we are now treated to and the "well, this is still a big problem you guys...".

OK.

Are Pouncey (Free Hernandez) or Bryant McKinnie (Love Boat captain) really solid sources? Fact is if you act like a giant idiot (RI) and surround yourself by shaky guys, you lose the benefit of the doubt.

If it was Eric Wood who was accused of this, I'd be shocked. But it's a dude who has a shady history. And I'm still not ready to call RI innocent either. But I might be wrong in not thinking Martin had a lot more issues than I thought.

It wasn't just those guys, who I would have discounted. It was the rest of the team mates, including guys not on the OL, white & black, and from guys who were no longer with the organization. There was very little reason for them to fall in line with Dolphins if they were trying to spin the story in their favor. It was a near unanimous backing for Incognito. That was the major disconnect for me.

As for Wood, remember he also came to Richie's defense when Jay Skurski interviewed him. Again, ample opportunity for Wood to dish out dirt. But he didn't.

So that's not to say that Incognito didn't have a major part in the meltdown. But it certainly didn't seem to be as blatantly one-sided as the reporters rushed out to feed the story.

Edited by GG

What actually sparked his leaving the team was during a meal when he was invited over to the O lineman's table and after he sat down at it, all the others got up and left. This tells me that the entire line, and backups didn't like the guy.

Before ending up on injured reserve in 2012 Martin graded out at (-22.0), and he allowed 4 sacks thru week 5 in 2013. In week 7 Miami against the Buffalo Bills Martin graded at (-4.2) in pass protection and allowed 7 pressures (3 hits, 4 hurries) on the Miami QB. ...HE SUCKS! Between Martin & RT Tyson Clabo they allowed 16 pressures on 23 of his dropbacks. He was letting Talleywhacker get killed.

As I have posted before, I am wondering if the "malicious attack" came from Tannenhill, after repeatedly getting crushed by 250 lb. D-linemen running full speed.

I think I would have run over Martin with my car in the parking lot if I had taken some of those hits on Martin's account.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Boom goes the dynamite.