Quick question for the geniuses that reside on TBD..Fireplace heat

plenzmd1

So power just went out, never a short episode here. The back half of my first floor pretty open floor plan. Big open kitchen with wood burning fireplace on back wall, then diagonal 45 feet to family room with gas fireplace on side wall of house

I have heat pumps, so no power no heat.

My wood burning fireplace fairly new and has a vent through the side of the chimney right next to the firebox so I open that when having fire as to keep the warm air in the rest of the rooms and use the outside air to fuel the fire.

The gas does not have any kind of blower nor is really used as any heat, more decorative than anything else.

Should I get both if these fired up if I am expected 24 hours or so with no power? I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance for the help

Edited by plenzmd1

http://www.amazon.com/Ecofan-Heat-Powered-Wood-Stove-Fan/dp/B005G2S3JM I know a lot of people use these fans to move heat around a large area (as opposed to relying simply on radiant heat from the stove). This fan is powered by heat itself (through some physical theory I am unaware of) as opposed to electricity. I would keep the gas stove on as well to a least keep the family room somewhat warm. Good luck.

So power just went out, never a short episode here. The back half of my first floor pretty open floor plan. Big open kitchen with wood burning fireplace on back wall, then diagonal 45 feet to family room with gas fireplace on side wall of house

I have heat pumps, so no power no heat.

My wood burning fireplace fairly new and has a vent through the side of the chimney right next to the firebox so I open that when having fire as to keep the warm air in the rest of the rooms and use the outside air to fuel the fire.

The gas does not have any kind of blower nor is really used as any heat, more decorative than anything else.

Should I get both if these fired up if I am expected 24 hours or so with no power? I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance for the help

if its natural gas I would get both fired up if ya need it. The gas fireplace is probably safer to use but will it heat enough of the house

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B005G2S3JM I know a lot of people use these fans to move heat around a large area (as opposed to relying simply on radiant heat from the stove). This fan is powered by heat itself (through some physical theory I am unaware of) as opposed to electricity. I would keep the gas stove on as well to a least keep the family room somewhat warm. Good luck.

Many use some form of coolant type oil which circulates.

They are worth having. There are others that are very similar and old fashioned, many homemade. They allow the exhaust to pass thru the chimney then out. As it does so it sifts thru cylinders which heat is then pulled from a fan on the outside. Also, using backing plates behind the stoves helps a lot, too.

I run a 6500 watt generator,and a transfer switch to get me through power failures. I'm using well water, so no power means no toilets, no shower, etc. Things can get nasty in a hurry w/o juice. Budgeting the 6500 watts carefully allows me to use most everything that I need. The generator groans a bit when the 'fridge, or the well pump kicks on, but it keeps on truckin'. I was w/o power for three days up here once. It wasn't pretty.

I also have a well and have the same set up. The 6500 watt unit kept us running for 6+ days after Sandi. We were able to do pretty much everything but laundry.

Only problem is if there's an issue getting to the gas station.