Transmission Question

DDD

Anyone know about an external cooler to prevent a transmission from overheating and breaking down? I have an Isuzu Rodeo and need a new tranny. The repair guy says it went bad because the radiator didn't have enough outflow to the tranny causing it to overheat. Rather than replace the radiator he recommended to add this external cooler to prevent the problem from occuring again after the tranny is rebuilt. He says it's less $$$ than replacing the radiator. This is not a factory part on the Isuzu, rather something that is added on. Any truth to this or is it just b.s.? Thanks.

Anyone know about an external cooler to prevent a transmission from overheating and breaking down? I have an Isuzu Rodeo and need a new tranny. The repair guy says it went bad because the radiator didn't have enough outflow to the tranny causing it to overheat. Rather than replace the radiator he recommended to add this external cooler to prevent the problem from occuring again after the tranny is rebuilt. He says it's less $$$ than replacing the radiator. This is not a factory part on the Isuzu, rather something that is added on. Any truth to this or is it just b.s.? Thanks.

I think you need to clarify your question. I am not sure what you want the truth on.

Do external transmission coolers exist? Yes.

Do they work? Yes. (Manufacturers will sometimes add an OEM version when a vehicle gets equipped with a factory towing package. Depends on the vehicle).

Are there universal ones? Yes.

I am a bit puzzled by his reason for recommending one though. He clearly stated the radiator caused the overheating, but why?

Is it too small? Older, partially plugged?

My 2006 Chrysler Pacifica has an OEM trans cooler on it. It looks like a small radiator in front of the normal radiator... With lines going to the trans fluid. It is the limited, all-wheel drive (AWD). I also have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, just burned than trans up with only 90k (first one in my life I ever burned up) on it, that doesn't have a trans cooler and both have tow packages. It cost me 2k for a master rebuild of the tranny. I think it might be the AWD and air flow design that dictates if you need it... Then of course towing. The Jeep is wide open in the front (classic slot grill) and the trans still burned up. I don't tow that much with the Jeep, too short of wheel base. Even though the Jeep is heavy, it is only rated @ 2,000 lbs because of the small wheel base... It would get owned by anything @ high speeds.

I did own a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo, automatic and put 150k on and never had a problem... It has a pretty wide open grill.

My 2006 Chrysler Pacifica has an OEM trans cooler on it. It looks like a small radiator in front of the normal radiator... With lines going to the trans fluid. It is the limited, all-wheel drive (AWD). I also have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, just burned than trans up with only 90k (first one in my life I ever burned up) on it, that doesn't have a trans cooler and both have tow packages. It cost me 2k for a master rebuild of the tranny. I think it might be the AWD and air flow design that dictates if you need it... Then of course towing. The Jeep is wide open in the front (classic slot grill) and the trans still burned up. I don't tow that much with the Jeep, too short of wheel base. Even though the Jeep is heavy, it is only rated @ 2,000 lbs because of the small wheel base... It would get owned by anything @ high speeds.

I did own a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo, automatic and put 150k on and never had a problem... It has a pretty wide open grill.

Believe me your jeep has a trans cooler. Part of the rad, but a cooler.

Believe me your jeep has a trans cooler. Part of the rad, but a cooler.

Interesting... I never knew! Thanks! Does the radiator send coolant around the trans somehow or does the trans fluid move by the radiator? For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it died! I was going to work and cruising @ 55 and had a massive slip... Colder morning Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Then two little slips, came off the off ramp fine... By the light at work, that is when it went kaput! Bad, bad things... Sounded like a chain rattling around... Mechanic said there were no chains, but I swore I heard a chain! I limped in another 500 feet to the work entrance and that was when I called and the guys on shift towed me in with the pickup (in neutral both tansfer case and trans).

Interesting... I never knew! Thanks! Does the radiator send coolant around the trans somehow or does the trans fluid move by the radiator? For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it died! I was going to work and cruising @ 55 and had a massive slip... Colder morning Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Then two little slips, came off the off ramp fine... By the light at work, that is when it went kaput! Bad, bad things... Sounded like a chain rattling around... Mechanic said there were no chains, but I swore I heard a chain! I limped in another 500 feet to the work entrance and that was when I called and the guys on shift towed me in with the pickup (in neutral both tansfer case and trans).

Probably some of the keys breaking loose.

Trans fluid goes to the built in trans cooler in the rad. Just a compact way of combining the two. ATF and coolant kept separate of course. Look at the back of the rad you will see a large hose on the top and bottom [coolant] and two small hoses on the bottom [ATF]. The only Jeep I am familiar with that had a chain in the trans was the Rubicon with the 42TE trans. Where you in 4x4? The t case has a chain in it.

Trans fluid goes to the built in trans cooler in the rad. Just a compact way of combining the two. ATF and coolant kept separate of course. Look at the back of the rad you will see a large hose on the top and bottom [coolant] and two small hoses on the bottom [ATF]. The only Jeep I am familiar with that had a chain in the trans was the Rubicon with the 42TE trans. Where you in 4x4? The t case has a chain in it.

Not in 4 wheel... Until the thing went kaput, I did try and see if it would move in 4 high. I asked the mechanic if I could have made it worse, he said no, the thing was gone. I made sure they pulled/towed me down the work access road with the transfer case and trans was in neutral. Was a cold morning and going @ highway speed. Thanks for the info, I have to look what trans it has. The guy @ the shop, I took it to a small trans place that usually works on race cars, etc..., said he was surprised to see they were bolting this trans up... It had all the electronics, whatnot. He was talking Greek to me. It is the '06, 60th anniversary "Golden Eagle." Not quite the Rubicon with both front and rear Dana 44's, and front/rear OEM lockers... The '06 GE has the Dana 44 on the rear and the lighter weight 35 up front, and no OEM lockers

Not in 4 wheel... Until the thing went kaput, I did try and see if it would move in 4 high. I asked the mechanic if I could have made it worse, he said no, the thing was gone. I made sure they pulled/towed me down the work access road with the transfer case and trans was in neutral. Was a cold morning and going @ highway speed. Thanks for the info, I have to look what trans it has. The guy @ the shop, I took it to a small trans place that usually works on race cars, etc..., said he was surprised to see they were bolting this trans up... It had all the electronics, whatnot. He was talking Greek to me. It is the '06, 60th anniversary "Golden Eagle." Not quite the Rubicon with both front and rear Dana 44's, and front/rear OEM lockers... The '06 GE has the Dana 44 on the rear and the lighter weight 35 up front, and no OEM lockers

No doubt a 545RFE. No chains in that unit, sounds like you busted a planetary$ If this guy was surprised to see a full electronic trans in a 06 I would be nervous

No doubt a 545RFE. No chains in that unit, sounds like you busted a planetary$ If this guy was surprised to see a full electronic trans in a 06 I would be nervous

Yeah... planetary set is all new now... Can't remember, have to look @ the bill, part alone was 300 bucks or so Total rebuild. Sure, 300 for the gear set doesn't sound too much, but labor was a grand and parts were a grand! The trans place I took it to is a race shop mainly... I guess he wasn't too surprised, just thought they weren't putting them in the classic Wranglers (pre-2007).

Stuff like that, I am kinda over a barrel... Tearing into that trans is like tearing into a watch, IMO, they deserve the money in labor for the skill needed. That thing would be sitting on my kitchen table all in Tupperware containers w/the wife filing for divorce! ;-) I guess it all depends on the parts and how you gotta get to it. My EGR valve on my Pacifica is going, but Chrysler stuck it in a pain in the azz place to get to it. 45 bucks and two 8mm bolts and a pain to get to. Now the Jeep's, right there, plain as day... Watch, that thing will never go out! LoL

Thanks for model number (545RFE)... I will look it up, that helps greatly!

Yeah... planetary set is all new now... Can't remember, have to look @ the bill, part alone was 300 bucks or so Total rebuild. Sure, 300 for the gear set doesn't sound too much, but labor was a grand and parts were a grand! The trans place I took it to is a race shop mainly... I guess he wasn't too surprised, just thought they weren't putting them in the classic Wranglers (pre-2007).

Stuff like that, I am kinda over a barrel... Tearing into that trans is like tearing into a watch, IMO, they deserve the money in labor for the skill needed. That thing would be sitting on my kitchen table all in Tupperware containers w/the wife filing for divorce! ;-) I guess it all depends on the parts and how you gotta get to it. My EGR valve on my Pacifica is going, but Chrysler stuck it in a pain in the azz place to get to it. 45 bucks and two 8mm bolts and a pain to get to. Now the Jeep's, right there, plain as day... Watch, that thing will never go out! LoL

Thanks for model number (545RFE)... I will look it up, that helps greatly!

$1000 labor is not bad. I would have figured 15 hrs labor @ $110 a hour.