Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

Why do you think this? Serious question.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 54m

Schiano's candidacy created "major rift" between Haslam and Banner, per @SI_PeterKing http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pwa

I think thats the reason why Banner was fired. Haslam was very interested in Schiano after Belichek called him twice personally to recommend him. I'd take Belichecks opinion over Banners.

well, im not sure right after hiring your second head coach with that group within a year ever qualifies as the perfect time. if he was going to clear house it should have been from the start of the offseason, not now. then he could find his GM and work with him to find their coach. thats what a reasonable man thats done making mistakes would have done.

I see your point, but I'm thinking that Haslam panicked because Quinn wasn't going to interview until after the Super Bowl and Pettine was going to back out if the Browns didn't make a decision. Also with the way the Whisenhunt interview went down that could have played a major factor into the panic. Guys were turning down a head coaching offer in the NFL with a team that has 3 picks in the top 35, and a great salary cap situation. Why would a potential head coach do that? I think that Banner was the reason.

My theory is that he hired Pettine in a panic then after he calmed down realized that Banner was a problem and axed him.

To clarify, this is what I think happened. I've made panic decisions before then had regrets soon after and had to deal with fixing the mistake.

I also think Haslam has bigger things to worry about. Like the Flying J fiasco.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think thats the reason why Banner was fired. Haslam was very interested in Schiano after Belichek called him twice personally to recommend him. I'd take Belichecks opinion over Banners.

I see your point, but I'm thinking that Haslam panicked because Quinn wasn't going to interview until after the Super Bowl and Pettine was going to back out if the Browns didn't make a decision. Also with the way the Whisenhunt interview went down that could have played a major factor into the panic. Guys were turning down a head coaching offer in the NFL with a team that has 3 picks in the top 35, and a great salary cap situation. Why would a potential head coach do that? I think that Banner was the reason.

My theory is that he hired Pettine in a panic then after he calmed down realized that Banner was a problem and axed him.

To clarify, this is what I think happened. I've made panic decisions before then had regrets soon after and had to deal with fixing the mistake.

I also think Haslam has bigger things to worry about. Like the Flying J fiasco.

I think the fact that you characterize him as not even a month-removed from having made a panic decision, on a critical element of his football team going forward, suggests that all is not well.

Haslam and his franchise have not earned the benefit of the doubt here. Could it work out? Sure. Just as it could have worked out for Ralph to install Levy in the front office and for him to feel comfortable and involved in the process... Stranger things have happened. I do know that many people thought of Lombardi as a strong talent evaluator prior to all this. When people can't do their job without owner meddling, it rarely works out.

I think the fact that you characterize him as not even a month-removed from having made a panic decision, on a critical element of his football team going forward, suggests that all is not well.

Haslam and his franchise have not earned the benefit of the doubt here. Could it work out? Sure. Just as it could have worked out for Ralph to install Levy in the front office and for him to feel comfortable and involved in the process... Stranger things have happened. I do know that many people thought of Lombardi as a strong talent evaluator prior to all this. When people can't do their job without owner meddling, it rarely works out.

See: Dallas Cowboys

then he should hire bill, if hes going to want to cave to his whims anyway. you just hit the nail on the head for why haslam is the issue: he has no idea what hes doing, is impatient, and doesnt trust even his own decisions once people start chirping in his ear and then makes irrational panicky decisions. THAT is a big part of why no one wants to work for the browns.

well, im not sure right after hiring your second head coach with that group within a year ever qualifies as the perfect time. if he was going to clear house it should have been from the start of the offseason, not now. then he could find his GM and work with him to find their coach. thats what a reasonable man thats done making mistakes would have done.

I really can't figure out why Haslam didn't have Farmer in at least one of the interviews with Pettine. He said yesterday at the press conference that he has known he was going to do this for several weeks. Even though he denies it, I have no doubt he told Farmer he was going to be the GM so he would withdraw from the Miami GM interview process. On the radio they are saying that he knew Farmer was going to be the GM so that it was why he sent him to the Sr Bowl and not Lombardi. Haslam wanted him there "evaluating college talent" and so left the coaching search to Banner and Lombardi. But Pettine was interviewed AT the Senior Bowl. For 4 hours. Haslam, Lombardi and Banner flew down there to interview him. Why didn't Farmer at least get invited to that? He was there! FYI Pettine was not at Haslam's presser yesterday introducing Farmer.

Farmer has a good reputation in the NFL but he specialized on the pro side, the college scouts are Lombardi's, and he has never run a draft.Maybe the guy he is bringing over from KC can help though.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 2m

#Browns blockbuster announcement: Ray Farmer promoted to GM, Joe Banner to step down as CEO, GM Michael Lombardi to leave team.

Anyone think their New HC maybe having second thoughts?

This is a team in utter disarray...no clue what is going on...I really think it might be the 3 Stooges running the show...

Michael Lombardi has been a disaster. Who could have predicted that? Well.... anyone who listened to the nonsense he spouted on NFL Network maybe?

True...and wasn't he in Oakland when Jamarcus Russell was drafted?

True...and wasn't he in Oakland when Jamarcus Russell was drafted?

Yes. That was his last draft with the Raiders. He also said on the NFLN before he went to the Browns that he felt that Trent Richardson was the best overall player available in the 2012 draft (yes, that draft). Then, a few months after joining the team that drafted that guy, traded him. Good decision? We don't know yet if it will help the Browns. Depends who they take at 26 this year. Their running game fell apart after they traded him regardless of what he did or didn't do in his time with Indy. The FO who drafted TRich, the FO that traded TRich, and the FO that will draft his "replacement" are 3 different GMs.

well, now its stooge 1 and 4. 2 and 3 have been removed. i think it was covered in page 2, if you need a source.

Thank you.

Someone finally got my Shemp reference.

It's just Moe and Shemp now. They threw Larry and Curly overboard.

SportsPickle@sportspickle 18m

Cleveland Browns ... The Board Game! http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/02/cleveland-browns-board-game … pic.twitter.com/ACv34feaL2

Hilarious... Bills fans can play too. Replace Cavs with Sabres and Steelers with Pats*.

and replace the fraud space with "ownership situation reminiscent of weekend at bernies."

Pettine needed to negotiate a big signing bonus to make this trip worthwhile. Even a long term contract is problematical with the prospect of the team owner facing Criminal charges. Any of you believe there will not be a lot of second guessing Pettine does not get off to a quick start?

Pettine needed to negotiate a big signing bonus to make this trip worthwhile. Even a long term contract is problematical with the prospect of the team owner facing Criminal charges. Any of you believe there will not be a lot of second guessing Pettine does not get off to a quick start?

Already has begun. At least expectations couldn't be lower for him.

and replace the fraud space with "ownership situation reminiscent of weekend at bernies."

lol well done