Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

So who was at these dinners? Haslam and ?

It's certainly odd.

i would imagine some of those guys were present, but much like YOLO i remember once it started looking embarrassing publicly (beyond the initial embarrassment of the actual firing) there were a lot of rumors that CEO and GM were no longer decision makers in the process.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assuming farmer is good. and depending on who they hire as CEO.... and of course the issue of will JH stick his nose in constantly.

At the end of the day, getting rid of Lombardi and Banner is a good thing. But it was all done backwards. Now you have a GM who has no GM experience, a HC with no HC experience who no one else interviewed, a DC with no DC experience, a OC off a 3-13 team who two other teams turned down.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 3m

For those who lost track... RT @SprowESPN: Browns have now had 3 different head coaches and 3 different GMs in the last 407 days. Decent

FTW: Anthony Rothman@AnthonyRothman 38s

This will get really awesome when Jimmy hires Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner today. @Browns

This is exactly what I thought when I heard this.

Could help could hurt. If they don't win in one or two years Farmer can fire Pettine and say he wasn't my guy. I wasn't part of that search, even if Farmer is picking crappy players and Pettine is coaching pretty well.

At the end of the day, getting rid of Lombardi and Banner is a good thing. But it was all done backwards. Now you have a GM who has no GM experience, a HC with no HC experience who no one else interviewed, a DC with no DC experience, a OC off a 3-13 team who two other teams turned down.

The other problem I see with it is who initiated the coaching search and when did Haslam take over? Was Haslam the reason coaches turned the Browns down or was it the dynamic duo? Was Pettine a last ditch effort because Haslam was doing the hiring and had no idea what he was doing?

It may have been a good thing to get rid of Lombardi and Banner but it was a terrible process. Either Haslam was hiring from the get go and coaches were turned off by that or Haslam took over the search, in which case he may have been rushed to make a decision.

Schefter saying that Haslam was alarmed by how many candidates took themeselves out of the running for the HC job last year, and again this year, in the Browns annual search for a coach...the sentiment seemed to be that few were interested in the job, becasue the "toxic" nature of the Browns front office...so, while it looks bad on paper (and it is) I suppose you can give Haslam some credit for not being so prideful (you listening Jerry jones?) that he can't admit he fugged up.

The other problem I see with it is who initiated the coaching search and when did Haslam take over? Was Haslam the reason coaches turned the Browns down or was it the dynamic duo? Was Pettine a last ditch effort because Haslam was doing the hiring and had no idea what he was doing?

It may have been a good thing to get rid of Lombardi and Banner but it was a terrible process. Either Haslam was hiring from the get go and coaches were turned off by that or Haslam took over the search, in which case he may have been rushed to make a decision.

My understanding is that , (*I have heard this directly from a connection in the NFL when they were hiring a GM last year), no one wants to work for Joe Banner. That is why Lombardi was the best they could get. Banner weilded all power over everything, the GM was in name only. No GM wants this, they want to control over personnel decisions (obviously). In addition this is the same with the HC, They want a say in things. Chud didn't have this, coaches interviewing this year did not feel they would have this and it was a huge turnoff. They hired Pettine because he was the only one interested and they could not wait for Quinn because Pettine gave them an ultimatum that he would withdraw if they did.

This is getting ridiculous...Bruce Feldman@BFeldmanCBS 10m

Interesting note from NFLN's @RapSheet: Reports that #Badger coach Gary Andersen had secretly interviewed for Cleveland Browns' HC job.

not surprised. im guessing he was the secret cant be named candidate(?), as it was in advance of signing day. i was pretty sure some college coach was involved.

Edited by NoSaint

Could help could hurt. If they don't win in one or two years Farmer can fire Pettine and say he wasn't my guy. I wasn't part of that search, even if Farmer is picking crappy players and Pettine is coaching pretty well.

It is good that 2 of the 3 stooges are out, but why did he not have Farmer involved in the interviewing? Just ridiculous timing. Haslam sent Farmer to the Sr Bowl with the rest of the GMS, but not Lombardi and Banner. Why not have Farmer interview Pettine who was AT the Sr Bowl? Edited by YoloinOhio

Schefter saying that Haslam was alarmed by how many candidates took themeselves out of the running for the HC job last year, and again this year, in the Browns annual search for a coach...the sentiment seemed to be that few were interested in the job, becasue the "toxic" nature of the Browns front office...so, while it looks bad on paper (and it is) I suppose you can give Haslam some credit for not being so prideful (you listening Jerry jones?) that he can't admit he fugged up.

Its Toxic not because of the individuals because everyone gets **** canned before they can build anything.

This is like stopping an Oil-Spill by pouring gas on it and lighting it on fire.