Fed Judge: Flashing headlights to warn of speed traps is OK

Good...but it's sad that time and resources were wasted all the way up to the federal court level on this nonsense.

Agree. It is sad that towns depend on that revenue from speed traps. Flashing your lights and warning other drivers to drive safe and slow down cuts into business. Would a driver rather have a cop tell them to slow down or another driver?

Why is this a thing?

Because it is a brutal winter and towns are running out of salt and money to buy that salt with. Of course these cases were two years ago! People think that they are Taxed Enough Already. Cutting into a town's business by signaling a driver is being a bad Ubu!

LA... I am joking and busting your hump on the whole TEA thing. But, there is truth to what TYTT said.

Some departments & cops like to go on "fishing expeditions" too... More chance they will find something else.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I am dumbfounded by this story. Where I live this is commonplace and expected. Additionally, insurance companies literally put up huge billboards outside of the dumpy towns that make all their money on speed traps telling everyone "SPEED TRAP AHEAD."

97 Rock did that in Buffalo about 20 years ago...I believe the state troopers made them stop.

They tried here, and while they were trying a cop called in and started talking about "not messing with police business". The radio host respectfully asked if the goal was to slow down drivers or to pad local revenues, and the cop went tangential, getting vocal about police prerogative, dangrous jobs, and how "cops do what they have to do". He was pressed, and his basic statement came down to, "don't ever !@#$ with a cop or he'll !@#$ you and your whole family back."

It was dropped after the issue.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker