Texas executes woman last night

what is we burned them for fuel and had cheaper electric and energy..making it somewhat a "green" process?

How would that be green?? What would you use to burn them? Some carbon based, greenhouse gas causing, smog making world burning fossil fuel?

How would that be green?? What would you use to burn them? Some carbon based, greenhouse gas causing, smog making world burning fossil fuel?

Compost them, use the heat created by their decomposition.

Or toss them in feed troughs.

Or Soylent Green.

It's better then paying $150 for a jar of strawberries.

I just think executing people is wrong. Do some "deserve" it? I guess. But what does it accomplish? Revenge? Seems to me so much of it is about that. Does it make a better society to have the government kill people? I don't think so. It does not stop crime in any way? No. Does it cost more to kill a person? Yes.

So what good does it accomplish?

I think that's a fair question. from my point of view, I see execution as 'justice', not revenge. it would be interesting to see what the crime statistics are pre vs post-1976 to see if there is any discernable effect on violent crime reduction, but my guess is that it hasn't had much of an effect in curbing such crime.

personally, I think most people feel a certain reluctance in embracing the act of capital punishment, but support it nonetheless because some crimes are just so heinous that the perpetrator doesn't deserve to live, even if it's a life of solitary confinement.

again, I want to emphasize my belief that there needs to be absolutely no question at all about the condemned's guilt. prosecutors that withhold exculpatory evidence in murder trails should probably be charged with attempted murder themselves.

Edited by Azalin

I just think executing people is wrong. Do some "deserve" it? I guess. But what does it accomplish? Revenge? Seems to me so much of it is about that. Does it make a better society to have the government kill people? I don't think so. It does not stop crime in any way? No. Does it cost more to kill a person? Yes.

So what good does it accomplish?

Always ironic to me that the same people that support abortion are anti capital punishment. Don't think I've ever read a post by you that supports abortion but I can probably assume you do. Edited by Dante

Always ironic to me that the same people that support abortion are anti capital punishment. Don't think I've ever read a post by you that supports abortion but I can probably assume you do.

I support abortion-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------retroactive abortion in his case.

Always ironic to me that the same people that support abortion are anti capital punishment. Don't think I've ever read a post by you that supports abortion but I can probably assume you do.

Abortion makes sense, it solves the problem of an unwanted pregnancy. Having the state snuff someone out doesn't really seem like a good solution, though I'm not passionately against it at all.

So you are pro life, I take it? But support killing by the state? That's a common position.

What's even more bizarr is the pro lifers that won't have birth control as part of a health care plan. I know they feel they are poor because the tax money this costs ruined them, but that's not true

I think that's a fair question. from my point of view, I see execution as 'justice', not revenge. it would be interesting to see what the crime statistics are pre vs post-1976 to see if there is any discernable effect on violent crime reduction, but my guess is that it hasn't had much of an effect in curbing such crime.

personally, I think most people feel a certain reluctance in embracing the act of capital punishment, but support it nonetheless because some crimes are just so heinous that the perpetrator doesn't deserve to live, even if it's a life of solitary confinement.

again, I want to emphasize my belief that there needs to be absolutely no question at all about the condemned's guilt. prosecutors that withhold exculpatory evidence in murder trails should probably be charged with attempted murder themselves.

If someone deserves it, sure, can't complain, but the whole process just seems a waste, and as you point out humans make mistakes, or are culpable of malfeasance themselves. Doesnt bother me that they get to live in jail. It's jail after all, I'd probably rather die then go to jail