I am officially a Grumpy Old Man

BringBackFergy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong board buddy.

You see the problem is that you own the building and he doesn't. So why should he demean himself to earn $10 to work for you. Now, if you offered him $100 dollars for the 15 minute job and gave away free law service to boot, then you'd have a deal.

the idea is not to find someone you disrespect, beat him or her down and such that they are made feel guilty if they do not take half of what anyone else would take. Treat the man fairly, pay him according to what he work is worth and in perspective what you yourself would expect or a family member. If he does not do the job get someone who will. But be fair.

Wrong board buddy.

You see the problem is that you own the building and he doesn't. So why should he demean himself to earn $10 to work for you. Now, if you offered him $100 dollars for the 15 minute job and gave away free law service to boot, then you'd have a deal.

I give away free advice every day...I refer to myself as "The Law Clinic"

I would like to see you try. I am 10 years younger then you I believe. haha

Watch out - he can slice you with a spatula quicker than you can say Jackie Robins.........

Disagree. You expect him to get up in the freezing cold weather, go outside & shovel your sidewalk for $10? It is not worth the effort imo.

I used to have to walk to school in the freezing cold...uphill...both ways :)

You are 44... My God, do it yourself. Ooops, you did. What seems to ge the problem? I am 45 and don't own a snowblower. I shovel the neighbors for free. If I am shoveling my driveway and see that the neighbors needs to be done... I just do it. spent 4 hours out there today (day off) helping out. In turn, they do the same when I am not home. About 8" fell over the last 24 hours, plow line was exceptionally brutal today, there is no place close to put it anymore... Gotta carry it away, snowbanks are over 6 feet high.

You are 44... My God, do it yourself. Ooops, you did. What seems to ge the problem? I am 45 and don't own a snowblower. I shovel the neighbors for free. If I am shoveling my driveway and see that the neighbors needs to be done... I just do it. spent 4 hours out there today (day off) helping out. In turn, they do the same when I am not home. About 8" fell over the last 24 hours, plow line was exceptionally brutal today, there is no place close to put it anymore... Gotta carry it away, snowbanks are over 6 feet high.

I do my own house with my tractor and shovel, but when you show up to work in dress pants and shoes you hope the kid who agreed to have it cleared will have it done at 8:30am. It literally sucks to have snow in your shoes and wet socks all day. Hence the reason why I'm a grumpy old man. :)

ha ha. Once you start the good samaritan thing. You're stuck with it. Lol.

I do my own house with my tractor and shovel, but when you show up to work in dress pants and shoes you hope the kid who agreed to have it cleared will have it done at 8:30am. It literally sucks to have snow in your shoes and wet socks all day. Hence the reason why I'm a grumpy old man. :)

Oh. I must be doing something wrong, come to think of it, there is a lot times I have wet shoes, clothes all day. I never really thought about what you said. Then again, my job description has is "all duties that need to be done" written into it... Maybe have an extra set of clothes on hand. Nice thing about my work is that we have a shower in case you get all funky like covered in oil or whatnot. I keep a shave kit, change of clothes, shoes, etc... in my locker. No reason to be grumpy or sit wet... Get'r done!

Snow is a funny thing... Especially when you choose to contract it out. Very subjective @ times to what needs to be done...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm not going to lie. I dont like old people. Except my grandma.

You're only 44. That's not old.

I have the perfect example.

An old guy at work that has super bad breath (let's just forget about that for a sec), he is old and impatient. Anyway he went to the dentist for a 9am appt. He got there at 830. He saw the staff come in. Turn on lights, computers, etc. etc. He came in angry because they didnt help him at 845 or so when the lights were on. Mind you the damn appt was at 9am. I asked him what time they helped him. He said 9am. See screw him. I hate old people mainly because they are impatient. But they also drive too fast and have major bad breath.

Ps. On the flip side he had someone visit him like 5 minutes early on him and he was upset that the person was early. So he can be early and be demanding. But when the coin is flipped, he wants people to wait and not expect fast service. What an annoying 64 year old. I am counting the days till he retires......

ha ha. Once you start the good samaritan thing. You're stuck with it. Lol.

You are sorta right. I used to have a few big snowblowers, got rid of them, just didn't use them enough and they are noisey @ night when people are sleeping. This winter is a killer... Yet, everybody pitches in and realizes when somebody is having a hard go @ it. Two houses down there is an 85 year widow... We all pitch in there... She still drives in the winter too! No way am I expecting her to take care of it. Same thing w/keeping the storm sewers clear along with the fire hydrants. Just do the the right thing and carry on... Everything corrects itself. Problem is, a lot of people do not want to work. I drive through town today and you see people getting stuck in their own driveway because they are trying to cut corners. WTF... Hard winters, gotta just keep @ it and allocate the time. Spring will come.

I'm not going to lie. I dont like old people. Except my grandma.

You're only 44. That's not old.

I have the perfect example.

An old guy at work that has super bad breath (let's just forget about that for a sec), he is old and impatient. Anyway he went to the dentist for a 9am appt. He got there at 830. He saw the staff come in. Turn on lights, computers, etc. etc. He came in angry because they didnt help him at 845 or so when the lights were on. Mind you the damn appt was at 9am. I asked him what time they helped him. He said 9am. See screw him. I hate old people mainly because they are impatient. But they also drive too fast and have major bad breath.

Ps. On the flip side he had someone visit him like 5 minutes early on him and he was upset that the person was early. So he can be early and be demanding. But when the coin is flipped, he wants people to wait and not expect fast service. What an annoying 64 year old. I am counting the days till he retires......

LoL... That can be a problem... I know a few of them! LoL People in general are just too demanding.

You are sorta right. I used to have a few big snowblowers, got rid of them, just didn't use them enough and they are noisey @ night when people are sleeping. This winter is a killer... Yet, everybody pitches in and realizes when somebody is having a hard go @ it. Two houses down there is an 85 year widow... We all pitch in there... She still drives in the winter too! No way am I expecting her to take care of it. Same thing w/keeping the storm sewers clear along with the fire hydrants. Just do the the right thing and carry on... Everything corrects itself. Problem is, a lot of people do not want to work. I drive through town today and you see people getting stuck in their own driveway because they are trying to cut corners. WTF... Hard winters, gotta just keep @ it and allocate the time. Spring will come.

LoL... That can be a problem... I know a few of them! LoL People in general are just too demanding.

I dont have to deal with winter problems in southbay cali. However I am forced to say hi to a guy I dont know and really dont like (since he's a smoker and he's outside like 10 times a day)

At least my dress shoes dont get wet when I say hi to him.

Yeah about 80% being old. 10% being rich. 10% aholes.

See that is the problem here. The kid being contracted out to shovel of course is not taking ownership of the situation? Do we really expect him to? Maybe Fergy thinks he needs to be out hustling for every buck, but maybe the kid thinks otherwise and values his time differently? In the end, Fergy takes the ownership and just does the shoveling himself. Maybe it should just always be Fergy doing it. Again, snow can be ticky tacky, let the inches pile up and the flat rate goes out the window. Yeah, I know he has a girlfriend, baby and is not really working. Maybe he views his life more like:

http://7million7years.com/2012/02/10/the-fisherman-and-the-investment-banker/

See that is the problem here. The kid being contracted out to shovel of course is not taking ownership of the situation? Do we really expect him to? Maybe Fergy thinks he needs to be out hustling for every buck, but maybe the kid thinks otherwise and values his time differently? In the end, Fergy takes the ownership and just does the shoveling himself. Maybe it should just always be Fergy doing it. Again, snow can be ticky tacky, let the inches pile up and the flat rate goes out the window. Yeah, I know he has a girlfriend, baby and is not really working. Maybe he views his life more like:

http://7million7years.com/2012/02/10/the-fisherman-and-the-investment-banker/

Great story EII...I suppose the main idea (in my case) is that I offered him the opportunity to make cash for relatively easy 15 minute work. The likelihood of making decent spending money by taking care of my sidewalk and others seemed lucrative to me. The real question though is - did it seem lucrative to him? If not, I can't change that mindset. If he showed up on a regular basis and had it taken care of without my prompting I would be surprising him with an extra $5 or $10 every now and then. He has other priorities evidently...which I can learn to accept. Respectfully submitted, Cheap-Grumpy Old Man

Great story EII...I suppose the main idea (in my case) is that I offered him the opportunity to make cash for relatively easy 15 minute work. The likelihood of making decent spending money by taking care of my sidewalk and others seemed lucrative to me. The real question though is - did it seem lucrative to him? If not, I can't change that mindset. If he showed up on a regular basis and had it taken care of without my prompting I would be surprising him with an extra $5 or $10 every now and then. He has other priorities evidently...which I can learn to accept. Respectfully submitted, Cheap-Grumpy Old Man

Fair enough. The story I posted can be reviewed from both ways and moderated for a middle outcome. Anyway... It isn't just 15 minutes if he has to constantly keep you in the back of his mind. Now, if he was there and walked right past with +2" of snow on the ground, I could see your point.

I wonder if he was out snowboarding and thought: "I wonder if I got Mr. Bring Back Fergy's sidewalk, maybe I should give a jingle to my hired help."

Such is the problem w/these arrangements. Do you have anybody else on staff? Put: "All duties as assigned" in their job description and then make them do it. Straight out of Ebenezer Scrooge and you won't have to fork out an extra dime since it is being done "in-house."

Oh... I must of missed it, how much snow needed to be shoveled again?

Somehow I just don't see you two on the same wavelength. ;-P

I only get really grumpy after sex. If that happens to you, you will actually have credence as a GOM. Un til then just pay some other peeon and get over it.

LoL

Or just move the business to FLA, I hear it is booming down there. ;-)

Oh, FWIW, I think 49/50 states had snow on the ground within the last couple of weeks. And you can probably guess which state didn't. ;-)

So that's why your wife's not giving you any. You might want to work on that.

If my memory serves me right, I think he (bowery) just had a child (within the last few years) and he is in his 50's.

So, there is hope for some of you old fogies getting some action.

;-P ;-P