Fred Pagac hired as LB coach

YoloinOhio

So let's talk Minnesota scheme - over the long haul aren't they (likewise to schwartzs rep) a pretty vanilla 43 that has lived and died with their front 4 (ie Williams wall and Jared Allen)? I can't say I watch a lot of them week in and week out or year to year to talk about how he ran the defense there - but very curious to hear more

What they ran there has nothing to do with the defense(s) Buffalo will run.

What they ran there has nothing to do with the defense(s) Buffalo will run.

Yea, Schwartz hiring a LB coach that coached a very similar scheme to what he has run his whole career certainly couldn't tip someone that we are more likely to see Schwartz run a traditional Schwartz defense as opposed to something a little more exotic as many posters are hoping.

At the very least it steers the talk back towards scheme and football.

Yea, Schwartz hiring a LB coach that coached a very similar scheme to what he has run his whole career certainly couldn't tip someone that we are more likely to see Schwartz run a traditional Schwartz defense as opposed to something a little more exotic as many posters are hoping.

At the very least it steers the talk back towards scheme and football.

Schwartz is going to do what he wants. His coaches will coach the way he wants. Wondering about Minnesota's scheme will have nothing to do with Buffalo's scheme. Will we now go out and get a space eating monster DT because Pepper Johnson is part of the squad?

Pagac ran the D at tOSU during some very good years in the 90s. The Buckeyes blitzed like crazy back then--earning their "Silver Bullets" nickname--so he may share a preference for the attacking style we keep hearing about on that side of the ball.

Also worth noting that Pagac coached Pepper Johnson in college.

Pagac ran the D at tOSU during some very good years in the 90s. The Buckeyes blitzed like crazy back then--earning their "Silver Bullets" nickname--so he may share a preference for the attacking style we keep hearing about on that side of the ball.

Also worth noting that Pagac coached Pepper Johnson in college.

I came on here to say the exact same thing. I miss the Silver Bullets. I hope The new DC at OSU can bring them back. Pagac had some awesome defenses and players, including Pepper. Very aggressive especially with OLBS - I think Hughes and Lawson will be utilized well in blitz packages. Fred left for the NFL when they fired Coop and brought in Tress.

BTW - In case anyone doesn't know... his last name is pronounced "Pug-itch."

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Schwartz is going to do what he wants. His coaches will coach the way he wants. Wondering about Minnesota's scheme will have nothing to do with Buffalo's scheme. Will we now go out and get a space eating monster DT because Pepper Johnson is part of the squad?

yea, i still dont think its that crazy to look at the history or strengths/weakness or philosophies they believe and guess that it will reflect in what he wants to accomplish. obviously its not a straight line factual connection, but id hope the coaches he hires reflect what hes trying to accomplish, no?