Fred Pagac hired as LB coach

YoloinOhio

gOzpk8ck_bigger.jpegRyan@RyanTalbotBills1h

Nothing official, but @coachingsearch is reporting that Fred Pagac will be joining the #Bills coaching staff. Former LB coach of #Vikings.

I remember him well as the DC of the OSU Buckeyes in the 90s. His defenses were very aggressive. Didn't look him up but I remember him being on a few NFL staffs. He has to be getting pretty old...

From his wiki:

Pagac became a coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes in 1978 and coached there until 2000. He spent time as the teams linebackers coach from 1978 to 1995, defensive coordinator from 1996 to 1999, and assistant head coach in 2000.

In 2001 Pagac was hired by the Oakland Raiders to be the team's linebacker coach, and was there until 2003. From 2004 to 2005 he was the linebackers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. In 2006 the Minnesota Vikings hired him.

On November 22, 2010, Pagac was named interim defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, replacing Leslie Frazier who was promoted to interim head coach after the mid-season replacement of Brad Childress. On January 19, 2011, the interim title was removed and Pagac was named the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.

On January 15, 2012, he was removed as defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings but remained with the team, returning to his former position as linebackers coach.

Well it looks like we actually hired Pepper Johnson... unless they are going to split the role between ILB and OLB, but both of these guys are very experienced so I doubt it, plus Ralph is cheap. Obviously.

I have no idea if they are hiring Freddie Patek, but it could be that he coaches the LBs, and Pepper Johnson coaches the DL. That, with Donnie Henderson, could be a really experienced dynamic staff.

Well, tweets from Pettine's daughter gave us some tips.

How about someone LinkedIn Pagacs son?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fred-pagac-jr/56/403/4a5

About this guy:

Demoted from defensive coordinator after one tumultuous season, Pagac accepted a return to his old role -- surprising even Frazier, who believed there was a chance Pagac would try to land elsewhere for his 35th season as a college and pro assistant.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_No_dual_role_Fred_Pagac_will_be_the_main_guy_coaching_LBs012312

Worked with Minnesota a long time. Had Mike Singletary serve as his assistant at one point.

So let's talk Minnesota scheme - over the long haul aren't they (likewise to schwartzs rep) a pretty vanilla 43 that has lived and died with their front 4 (ie Williams wall and Jared Allen)? I can't say I watch a lot of them week in and week out or year to year to talk about how he ran the defense there - but very curious to hear more

...I think I may trade Schwartz, Pepper Johnson, and Pagac for Pettine, Weaver and O'Neil.

Without a doubt in my mind...especially if they keep Weaver.

Then it would be Schwartz, Johnson, Pagac, Weaver...instead of Pettine, Driesbach, O'Neil, Weaver.

(I just wish our offense was on par with our defense.)

Without a doubt in my mind...especially if they keep Weaver.

Then it would be Schwartz, Johnson, Pagac, Weaver...instead of Pettine, Driesbach, O'Neil, Weaver.

(I just wish our offense was on par with our defense.)

I think this means Weaver is gone. Johnson is coaching DL, which was Weaver's job. He was all but gone the first day Schwartz was hired and Marrone inferred that Weaver really didnt want to stay.