Super Bowl tickets still available

Just Jack

A local sportscaster has been there for the past week or so. He was on the radio this morning and said scalpers there are panicking.

He said anyone could drive to NJ and find a cheap hotel about 30-40 miles from the stadium and could buy a ticket for under face value today if they wanted to.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A local sportscaster has been there for the past week or so. He was on the radio this morning and said scalpers there are panicking.

He said anyone could drive to NJ and find a cheap hotel about 30-40 miles from the stadium and could buy a ticket for under face value today if they wanted to.

Now that is getting tempting. Just need to find a place to stay :)

No kidding. if attending a superbowl is on your bucket list there may never be a better time.

I went to the '92 Minneapolis one which was similar. It was damn cold and scalpers were having a rough go. Even as a college kid, i thought $275 for the ticket was a deal. I think face was aroung $150 back then. Got them around noon the day of the game and my buddy and I couldn't believe we were going to the game. Then of course the game happened....but still an experience that i'll never forget.

No kidding. if attending a superbowl is on your bucket list there may never be a better time.

Damn... Seriously. AND it's within easy driving distance. If my wife wasn't currently 8 1/2 months prego, I would be seriously considering it.

Under 2,000 tickets remain, starting at $1400 each.

And scalpers are disappointed.....

http://www.nj.com/su..._bowl_ever.html

yeah i am really crying a river for the poor scalper! Poor him buying tickets up and then raising the price in hopes to rape the common man. I hope he gets audited from that article because i am sure it isn't reported as income!

Cuomo is buying his own ticket...

http://abclocal.go.c...orts&id=9415477

Yeah, with campaign funds. Give me a break. I don't exactly put Cuomo as that big of a celebrity compared to others.

De Blasio can't go due to how he described NYC as the USA's largest plantation and how there is so much income inequality in that city. It would look really bad for him attending such an expensive event after making comments like that.

In its truest sense, I don't think the superbowl ever qualifies as anything less than a sell out for even a fraction of a second. I may be wrong (and would be interested in learning the inner workings better - I know we have a few folks that do know this better than I do) but I believe the league keeps 25% of the tickets and sells allotments to each franchise, with the host and participating cities being obligated to purchase extra (while I say obligated, truly it's a pretty good perk). At that distribution, id guess in the technical sense the nfl has sold all the tickets.

From there teams do what they want - give to major sponsors, sell to travel companies, or have fan lotteries to buy then at face value. I know this year fans in Denver are complaining that due to some fuzzy math behind the scenes the normal 17% that go to a participating team is being calculated off a number far less than the actual full capacity of the stadium (ie the nfl retained extra tickets). That would make the dropping prices even more noteworthy, potentially.

In its truest sense, I don't think the superbowl ever qualifies as anything less than a sell out for even a fraction of a second. I may be wrong (and would be interested in learning the inner workings better - I know we have a few folks that do know this better than I do) but I believe the league keeps 25% of the tickets and sells allotments to each franchise, with the host and participating cities being obligated to purchase extra (while I say obligated, truly it's a pretty good perk). At that distribution, id guess in the technical sense the nfl has sold all the tickets.

From there teams do what they want - give to major sponsors, sell to travel companies, or have fan lotteries to buy then at face value. I know this year fans in Denver are complaining that due to some fuzzy math behind the scenes the normal 17% that go to a participating team is being calculated off a number far less than the actual full capacity of the stadium (ie the nfl retained extra tickets). That would make the dropping prices even more noteworthy, potentially.

Denver & seattle get 17.5% each

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24421989/super-bowl-xlviii-broncos-seahawks-get-35-percent-of-tickets

Right, but like I said, rumor is they pulled a lot out of the inventory before doing the normal distribution ratios this year. Instead of 17% of 82k, that it was based off of a much smaller number that they calculated the team blocks (ie 17% of 60k just making up a number to illustrate the point more clearly), and the nfl is refusing to say how many they actually gave, and the teams are declining comment....

Here's an article claiming to confirm the math in your link isn't correct according to team and league sources, but with no final number:

www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25006344/nfl-is-vague-fuzzy-super-bowl-ticket-math

Edited by NoSaint

Right, but like I said, rumor is they pulled a lot out of the inventory before doing the normal distribution ratios this year. Instead of 17% of 82k, that it was based off of a much smaller number that they calculated the team blocks (ie 17% of 60k just making up a number to illustrate the point more clearly), and the nfl is refusing to say how many they actually gave, and the teams are declining comment....

Here's an article claiming to confirm the math in your link isn't correct according to team and league sources, but with no final number:

www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25006344/nfl-is-vague-fuzzy-super-bowl-ticket-math

the article I linked says the breakdown is as follows

17.5% Denver

17.5% Seattle

3.1% Giants (home team)

3.1% Jets (home team)

33.6% the 28 other teams get 1.2% each

25.2% the league

100% Total

Yeah, with campaign funds. Give me a break. I don't exactly put Cuomo as that big of a celebrity compared to others.

De Blasio can't go due to how he described NYC as the USA's largest plantation and how there is so much income inequality in that city. It would look really bad for him attending such an expensive event after making comments like that.

Of course he played it off as "I'd rather stay home and watch it with my family" :rolleyes:

the article I linked says the breakdown is as follows

17.5% Denver

17.5% Seattle

3.1% Giants (home team)

3.1% Jets (home team)

33.6% the 28 other teams get 1.2% each

25.2% the league

100% Total

I understand those numbers fully and have seen them tons of times

The article also says 17% of 82k and gives a final raw number of about 14.5k, which league and team officials are now saying isn't accurate according to the link I posted- as they aren't using the full 82k (ie 100% of the stadium) to makeup the distributed tickets. If they are withholding (a made up number for the sake of discussion) 20k tickets, before breaking up the 62k in the proportions listed.... Well... Then the numbers aren't actually accurate this year.

Not a huge deal, but just a twist I was noting

Edited by NoSaint