SOTU text released

Gary M

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State of the Union: Few will tune in as Obama becomes lame duck

Message will be spread all week long

President Obama has been losing his TV audience — literally.

With the State of the Union proving ever less entrancing for viewers, the White House is desperate to turn the speech into a multiday event in an effort to bolster interest in Mr. Obama’s policies, even if people don’t tune in to hear his words.

With online question-and-answer sessions, a “virtual road trip” scheduled for Friday and a presidential video, the White House is determined to spread Mr. Obama’s message beyond Tuesday night’s hourlong address.

Literally, the conversation never ends,”

Finally..........some truth.......lol

Read more: http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2rhpB0sHb

Democrats would rather not have a State of the Union speech

Part of the theater associated with the State of the Union address lies in the camera capturing the live reactions of a few members of Congress and other attendees. I’m sure several of the Democrats who are facing reelection in 2014 are nervous about how they will comport themselves during the speech if they are caught on camera. If the president sets himself up for an applause line on Obamacare, how will they handle it so that their reaction can’t be used against them in their campaigns back home?

Such a problem............lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2014/01/27/the-insiders-democrats-would-rather-not-have-a-state-of-the-union-speech/

The Pull of The SOTU

by Jonah Goldberg

FTA:

For years, I’ve heard people say that they wished the president would just go back to writing a letter to Congress and be done with it. I honestly would prefer that as well. Again, maybe not for the first one or if the president has something truly important to say. But I really do resent the demand on my time and attention to listen to a fairly pathetic wish list of focus-grouped programs and the rhetorical placating of various constituencies. As a fan of civic rituals myself, I understand why some people have a soft spot for the pageantry of this thing. But I find it all canned, tacky and vaguely monarchical. If you find that too mealy-mouthed, I strong recommend you read Kevin Williamson’s piece today. He’s less equivocal.

It’s actually a useful exercise to think about the institutional backlash a president would receive if he announced “let’s skip it.” Because there’s very little hard evidence the President benefits from the State of the Union. It rarely moves poll numbers or changes Congress’ mind about anything. The press treats it like a big deal, but it’s usually forgotten within days. It’s strongest shelf-life comes in the way the White House gets to justify their actions by saying “We said we’d do this in the State of the Union” — as if the State of the Union were a binding precedent of some kind. President Obama is particularly fond of this technique, saying “As I’ve said before” as if he’s citing case law.

If President Obama — or any president this far into his second term — went out and said, “look, I’m going to keep this short” and gave a real 20 minute speech with a beginning, a middle and an end – about the state of the union – it would be a huge hit. But there’s something about the presidency itself these days that makes it impossible for those inside the presidential bubble to understand this.

And so tonight we will get the last thing this country wants from Barack Obama: Another speech.

Compare whatever marxist drivel comes out of Barry's pie hole tonight to this. Levine played clips today. I like that big tub of goo Tip O'Neal behind him.

Edited by Dante

Straw Man Walking

Viewers can expect President Obama to continue his long tradition of annihilating straw-man arguments in the course of laying out his agenda in tonight’s State of the Union address.

Here’s one example, from an April 2012 speech: “[Republicans] keep telling us that if we’d just strip away more regulations, and let businesses pollute more and treat workers and consumers with impunity, that somehow we’d all be better off.”

His State of the Union addresses are usually more measured in tone. But he has another, similar habit of beginning his paragraphs with a statement designed to appeal to a moderate, center-right electorate, and then immediately following it with a “but.” And that’s when he explains why what he just said is a bunch of outdated nonsense. Take away that second part, and Obama could almost be mistaken for a dyed-in-the-wool conservative:

bullet_blue.gif“The American people don’t expect government to solve every problem. They don’t expect those of us in this chamber to agree on every issue. But . . .” (2013)

bullet_blue.gif“Yes, the biggest driver of our long-term debt is the rising cost of health care for an aging population. And those of us who care deeply about programs like Medicare must embrace the need for modest reforms — otherwise, our retirement programs will crowd out the investments we need for our children, and jeopardize the promise of a secure retirement for future generations. But . . .” (2013)

bullet_blue.gif“Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But . . .” (2012)

bullet_blue.gif“Our free-enterprise system is what drives innovation. But . . .” (2011)

bullet_blue.gif“When we find rules that put an unnecessary burden on businesses, we will fix them. But . . .” (2011)

bullet_blue.gif“Now, the true engine of job creation in this country will always be America’s businesses. But…” (2010)

bullet_blue.gif“A strong, healthy financial market makes it possible for businesses to access credit and create new jobs. It channels the savings of families into investments that raise incomes. But . . .” (2010)

bullet_blue.gif“These disagreements, about the role of government in our lives, about our national priorities and our national security, they’ve been taking place for over 200 years. They’re the very essence of our democracy. But . . .” (2010)

Edited by B-Man

Wow the economy president Obama is describing doesn't *sound* like one that should need "emergency" extensions of unemployment payments.

Mr. President, denouncing "stale political arguments" is a stale political argument.

"Let's create jobs here at home" says the President who increased taxes on American energy producers.

LOL...........The guy who had no idea "shovel ready jobs" didn't exist until he blew billions on them, now promising he's the guy to cut bureaucracy.

Edited by B-Man

Do you have a link to any feeds, please?

There's no link because it's mostly comments from conservative voices that I tend to follow. You don't realize how ridiculous he sounds until you see this speech treated like an episode of MST3K. It's amazing to me how completely out of touch he is. On one hand the economy is finally doing well, and on the other he needs to extend unemployment.

Now he's talking about women not getting equal pay when his office is the biggest failure of giving women equal pay.

There's no link because it's mostly comments from conservative voices that I tend to follow. You don't realize how ridiculous he sounds until you see this speech treated like an episode of MST3K. It's amazing to me how completely out of touch he is. On one hand the economy is finally doing well, and on the other he needs to extend unemployment.

Now he's talking about women not getting equal pay when his office is the biggest failure of giving women equal pay.

Well, I just need a link now to a site to help me with MyRA, cuz ya know, this administration is so good with technology and implementing new policy. The MyRA?! Because not everyone can have a 401K? Or an IRA? Or a Roth? Or...? I make far less then any one of you all would believe and I have a freaking Roth. How can someone else not have one?!

I'm glad an American president is finally saying every child deserves a world-class education. . . . . . . . Groundbreaking new idea there.

Invest in the investments that will help our investments pay off.

President repeats the false claim that women get paid 77 cents on the male dollar.. . . .

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-13/don-t-blame-discrimination-for-gender-wage-gap.html …

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html …

"We'll leave behind a unified Afghanistan" ... (run by the Taliban)

In Afghanistan, we're leaving a small force of covert operators in the danger zone.... (Because that worked so well in Benghazi.)

"Israel knows we will always be at their side"….... (pushing them to make concessions.)

I don't know crap about Twitter - savannah in my mind may have been savannah Sampson. So I clicked. Its a woman.. In Charlotte. Who calls herself Southern. And is black. Strike me surprised.

I just went on twitter and searched for #sotu and I got that as one of the responses.