Jim O'Neil hired as Browns DC

BarleyNY

Wonder if Schwartz will try to bring along Gunther Cunningham to the staff. That would put another former head coach in the mix. Has anyone heard any rumors about that?

no but I can start some

Mike Pettines daughter tweeting that the Bills will bring in Gunther Cunningham to assist on D.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit, I really didn't know who O'Neil was until this week.

So they fired the one LB coach (coached Kiko?) because he was so bad, and this other one is like gold? They just can't let him go?

its almost like they are two different people and might have two different skill sets despite coaching positions located close to each other on the field.

Edited by NoSaint

Bills officially grant permission to Browns to talk to O'Neil. I just got a text alert about it

thanks for the update. It'll be very interesting to see how long it takes ti extend an offer. If one is even extended at all. I am not sure which would reflect more of a poor front office: letting O'Neil go without an offer or interest. Or offering him an offer after just one interview.

Are they ready ti throw their eggs in one basket with Pettine and trust he knows his guy.

@ChrisBrownBills

Full story on #Bills allowing Browns to speak with LBs coach O'Neil for Cleveland DC post. http://ow.ly/sZFJw

I had no idea those two went back so far. He was on the Bills only for one season as well. Let the new DC pick his own guys.

I don't see this as an issue for the Bills at all, and apparently the Bills agree having granted permission for the interview.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 6m

Bills announce they've granted Browns permission to interview Jim O'Neil for their DC job. Word is Pettine has eyed other Bills ass'ts too.

I dont care who Pettine has eyes on, as long as the Bills are the ones determining if we want to keep them or not. Cleveland can have our scraps when we decide what they are.

I had no idea those two went back so far. He was on the Bills only for one season as well. Let the new DC pick his own guys.

I don't see this as an issue for the Bills at all, and apparently the Bills agree having granted permission for the interview.

Remember though, Pettine assured the media he wouldn't just be hiring his friends.

its almost like they are two different people and might have two different skill sets despite coaching positions located close to each other on the field.

They are different... Dreisbach came from college. The only NFL coaching experience he has is this year with the Bills. O'Neil has been in the NFL a long time.

Remember though, Pettine assured the media he wouldn't just be hiring his friends.

He also needs to build a staff like.. yesterday. I think it was an interesting comment he made, considering most coaching staffs in the NFL are made up of guys who know each other/coached together/played together at some point. They don't need to be "friends" necessarily but certainly a known commodity when faced with an uncertain situation can be helpful.

thanks for the update. It'll be very interesting to see how long it takes ti extend an offer. If one is even extended at all. I am not sure which would reflect more of a poor front office: letting O'Neil go without an offer or interest. Or offering him an offer after just one interview.

Are they ready ti throw their eggs in one basket with Pettine and trust he knows his guy.

Im not that worried about O'Neil. Schwartz likely wants to bring some of his own people in anyway, so I am sure that has something to do with this as well. Not to mention, its just a positional coach, not that hard to fill especially with a new DC probably already having someone in mind.

Always good to have continuity, but that pretty much goes out the window when you have to change DC's anyway, so I don't see this as much of an issue as some think. Also keeps B-Lo viewed in a positive light to other future prospective coaches.

Maybe. But the one they let go coached a rookie to player of the year status.

I am sure Dreisbach had a positive influence on Kiko. Based on all of the reports that came out over the season, I think a lot of his success this year was due to his sheer instinctiveness, athleticism, attitude, work habits and personal film study. We all saw the gaps in his game as well. Were they there because he was playing MLB when that isn't his best position? Did he wear down as the season went on? We'll see what he looks like next year.

I wonder if this means that Schwartz won't be bringing a lot of his own guys.

Schwartz has been around long enough that he must have a network of guys he can bring onboard if need be. I'm sure there are plenty of decent LB coaches out there that he can fill the opening with.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel

http://www.sptimes.c...aft_picks.shtml

I don't know if this is still valid, considering Herm Edwards was traded 3 years after this.

http://www.nytimes.c...html?fta=y&_r=0

With that being said, I think it's fairly standard to allow position coaches permission to interview for promotions, and I think it's the right thing to do in this case.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Guessing an offer is coming..Pettine doesn't have to interview him....I'm sure he wants him for the job

Edited by nucci