How do you define "country" music?

I guess I'll be the one to to suggest that it's a country song because he's less than a minute in before he mentions his wife, his dog, his gun and his truck.

But it wouldn't be the perfect country western song, because that was sung by David Allen Coe.

http://youtu.be/jkKn5HrKgHQ

The reference to Jesus at the .2.20 mark pretty much established it as a C&W song.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus? You said Jesus?

Nice call...Hayes Carll is terrific.

Gotta say, I don't really like this topic, because, I find, perhaps like rap, people tend to stereotype country a bit too much, and it is hard to get people to see past those notions.

I like all kinds of music, including country. Now, what people refer to as country (Little Big Town, Shania, etc etc all mentioned here) is as far what I think of as real country music as Daft Punk. I know, whenever this topic comes up, it is impossible not to come off elitist, or, "I know better than you". I have found, over the years, I love music too much, and I appreciate people who have the same love of music, even if their tastes aren't the same as mine.

There was a time when Ernest Tubb was consdered a "rebel" (Ernest freaking' Tubb of all people) because he dared to include a drummer in his band, when he was invited to play the Grand Old Opry. Patsy Cline was considered "trash" by country purists in her day, because her Owen Bradley productions were "too slick" for the rural roots of country music. They called her brand of country, "Countrypolitian", and it wasn't meant as a compliment.

Of course, now, these artists are considered some of the true greats. Tubb gave country just a tad of rock'n'roll with his Texas style honky-tonk, and Patsy helped to bridge the gap between "hillbilly music", and make it more palatable to city people...it is only natural, things progress, there are more and more influences in every genre of music.

Now, this is going to sound silly...but for me, what makes country music special, is that it is the one genre where honesty, or sincerity aren't considered "uncool", or corny. Sure, it can be overdone, the double entrendre's and play on words can be silly (heard a great Christmas song this year "Jesus is the Reason for the Season, But I'm the Reason She's Leaving". Country music, even the mainstream stuff (which I generally can't stand), embraces poetry like no other genre. And when it is done right, there is a universal message to it...not everyone can pull it off, but when they do, it can be pretty powerful.

Just listen to this...and nary a mention of Jesus..

Nice call...Hayes Carll is terrific.

Gotta say, I don't really like this topic, because, I find, perhaps like rap, people tend to stereotype country a bit too much, and it is hard to get people to see past those notions.

I like all kinds of music, including country. Now, what people refer to as country (Little Big Town, Shania, etc etc all mentioned here) is as far what I think of as real country music as Daft Punk. I know, whenever this topic comes up, it is impossible not to come off elitist, or, "I know better than you". I have found, over the years, I love music too much, and I appreciate people who have the same love of music, even if their tastes aren't the same as mine.

There was a time when Ernest Tubb was consdered a "rebel" (Ernest freaking' Tubb of all people) because he dared to include a drummer in his band, when he was invited to play the Grand Old Opry. Patsy Cline was considered "trash" by country purists in her day, because her Owen Bradley productions were "too slick" for the rural roots of country music. They called her brand of country, "Countrypolitian", and it wasn't meant as a compliment.

Of course, now, these artists are considered some of the true greats. Tubb gave country just a tad of rock'n'roll with his Texas style honky-tonk, and Patsy helped to bridge the gap between "hillbilly music", and make it more palatable to city people...it is only natural, things progress, there are more and more influences in every genre of music.

Now, this is going to sound silly...but for me, what makes country music special, is that it is the one genre where honesty, or sincerity aren't considered "uncool", or corny. Sure, it can be overdone, the double entrendre's and play on words can be silly (heard a great Christmas song this year "Jesus is the Reason for the Season, But I'm the Reason She's Leaving". Country music, even the mainstream stuff (which I generally can't stand), embraces poetry like no other genre. And when it is done right, there is a universal message to it...not everyone can pull it off, but when they do, it can be pretty powerful.

Just listen to this...and nary a mention of Jesus..

Well put Buf!

The cynical side of me says: Again, what part of "country sells" don't people get... Like I said, faster than Tide on a racecar. If an act has a hint of a country sound or message, market it as country. As a marketing block, country is by far very powerful in so many ways. Why pigeonhole an act into something that will alienate a geographical part of the nation (ex: Southern Rock). "Country" will sell from the Deep South, to the West, up to the far North. It is the very fabric of our nation. Go country first, if there is even a wiff of sound/message... They can't go wrong!

We all can get high and mighty/idealistic where certain sounds should fall... But that don't pay for the fancy digs in Nashville and the bills!

Would you consider this "country?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEmQJG2HHU

Sure why not.

The brunette smokes the blonde in this group big time by the way. Blondie holds her own, kind of like the moon, but the brunette is like the sun. I'm referring to looks.

Dont take my poetic lines either. I know what you married guys are thinking. "Honey, most women are like the moon, but ......sun"

David Allan Coe has a few songs on this topic. Mumford and sons and aviici are more country then Jake Owen, Taylor Swift and that other hat stand singing.

Blake Shelton is about as close to traditional as new artistd get and his wife is amazingly good and country. Miranda Lambert is twice the country artist any woman of the last 10 years in pop county has ever been. Her best song is easily the one about Home.

She's the one that sings sweet home alabama right?

Just kidding.

I love Miranda. She wears nothing but a tatto and a smile for her lucky husband.

Ps. I gotta be honest. I dont enjoy men country music too much. Although some are ok. Like Matt Nathanson's "Run" or some of the Eagle's old classics, just to name some examples. I prefer women country. Even the pop-country like Shania. Lady A would just be Antebellum without the Lady in this group. I would still be ok with "Antebellum" since the little piano player is a genius, but I'm glad there is a lady in this group. Weird huh. I just love the sound of a sweet woman voice telling me what to do and how to do it. The singing is a plus.

That was a pretty great song. Not sure how anyone wouldn't like it. Thanks for posting it. I'd love to hear her sing that with John HIatt.

Ah...Bluefire is just giving me ****....cuz he is a techo-baby! :lol: He's a good kid! I doubt he even listened to it!

Don't know if you are familiar with Kelly Willis. She was a "near miss" in the early 90's from the Nasvile scene (via Virginia). She was really young at the time, and just hated what she was doing....even though, to my ears, she put out three pretty great "country-pop" albums at the time. She took a few years away from the business, and emerged as an indie country artist, on RykoDisc, passing on the Nashville thing all together. For me, she is one of the greatest modern country singers...and she just happened to marry my buddy Bruce...a really talented songwriter. They put out a great duet album this past year "Cheaters' Game". It was named by Rolling Stone magazine as one the "Top 25 Albums You Didn't Hear in 2013". They have 4 growing kids now, but have been hitting the road pretty hard, with another album to come out around April.

I know you are a big John Hiatt fan, as am I. Kelly (back in her Nashville years) did "Drive South" on the "Thelma & Louise" soundtrack. I think she is a better singer now, and doing better material (she writes more of her own stuff, and has excellent taste in covers)... a real favorite of mine. She did an episode of Hiatt's old "Sessions" show, probably around 1998..when she kind of returned to the biz...I think they did a song or two together on the broadcast (my memory is bad!)...will have to sniff around youtube a little more!

Would definitley recommend "Cheater's Game"....my favorite record of 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04OTz5jmls

Edited by Buftex

I am still convinced Miranda Lambert is the only real country artist on the radio that has come out in the last 6-7 years. There are no groups out there replacing Alabama, Dixie Chicks, etc. There are no artists out there replacing Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, the old/good Tim McGraw, the old/good Kenny Chesney, etc. The only one holding a candle to the past would be what Reba, Faith Hill, Martina McBride and others had now being matched by Lambert.

That Taylor Swift is being touted as a country star is fine and all but not true. Todays best male artist might be akin to Joe Diffie. Todays best group - Rascal Flatts probably - is the Little Texas of todays country. Which sucks, because I love Little Texas.

Country is country. I know that sounds like "it is what it is," but it is. You know it when you hear it.

It's not Shania, that's pop.

It is the Drive By Truckers when they play "Carl Perkins' Cadillac."

It's most definitely not Dareus Rucker.

or Lady Antebellum.

It is Loretta Lynn, even when Jack White attempted to over-produce her.

It is not, for the most part, Johnny Cash. He was and will always be a rocker to me. (How he, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee and Elvis got together in Memphis and Cash got the label as a "country" guy, I don't know.)

It is Hank Williams, though he had his rock and roll tendencies.

It is Gretchen Wilson.

And it especilly is George Strait and Alan Jackson.

As for Tim McGraw, he's not an artist of any real genre that deserves mention.

jw