How do you define "country" music?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything with a drawl and a bit of twang counts as country these days. Most of the music on country radio today would have been considered album rock in the 70's.

PTR

Ditto

Any song about a guy / gal that lost their lover, car, dog, house, boat etc etc etc

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

NO! DBT, Jason Isbell, they are not country. They are straight up rock & roll!

Anything with a drawl and a bit of twang counts as country these days. Most of the music on country radio today would have been considered album rock in the 70's.

PTR

this is bonnie raitt-ish, but not different enough to distinguish themselves in the mainstream music world, except for the hot chicks and country music will always take hot chicks, this is what country music is all about

Nowadays, with more video, etc... it is more about the act than the music. The video (you posted) and what they want the song to mean tells a country story... So, I guess it is country. The music can be put to any other another genre. Just as Tide on a racecar does, country sells... It always has! So call it country. Is Shania Twain's music country or pop? It was called pop 15 years ago? Is that were the crossover took place? Acts were realeasing multiple versions of the same song, just done in a genre. Then mix in the video to tell a story... There are so many more dimensions now!

David Allan Coe has a few songs on this topic. Mumford and sons and aviici are more country then Jake Owen, Taylor Swift and that other hat stand singing.

Blake Shelton is about as close to traditional as new artistd get and his wife is amazingly good and country. Miranda Lambert is twice the country artist any woman of the last 10 years in pop county has ever been. Her best song is easily the one about Home.

Nowadays, with more video, etc... it is more about the act than the music. The video (you posted) and what they want the song to mean tells a country story... So, I guess it is country. The music can be put to any other another genre. Just as Tide on a racecar does, country sells... It always has! So call it country. Is Shania Twain's music country or pop? It was called pop 15 years ago? Is that were the crossover took place? Acts were realeasing multiple versions of the same song, just done in a genre. Then mix in the video to tell a story... There are so many more dimensions now!

You could not have picked a better example. And honestly I don't know what the answer is.

Shania Twain for the most part has had country roots, but has also had a lot of songs that are "catchy". Not exactly what you expect from country music.

Defining country music has definitely become more difficult. Is it safe to say that Johnny Cash, Hank Williams & Marty Robbins are "more country", than Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood & Martina McBride?

Edited by Mark Vader

this is bonnie raitt-ish, but not different enough to distinguish themselves in the mainstream music world, except for the hot chicks and country music will always take hot chicks, this is what country music is all about

Bonnie Raitt is a good comparison. Even though Little Big Town are considered a mainstream country act, to me this song is not country at all, save for the southern accent of the singer.

PTR

Bonnie Raitt is a good comparison. Even though Little Big Town are considered a mainstream country act, to me this song is not country at all, save for the southern accent of the singer.

PTR

But their videos tell a country story. No? That is why they are pigeonholed into the genre. Maybe we should ask the question: What's NOT country? Doesn't everything go back to country and its bluegrass roots?

Country's a frame of mind.

Thought the above was a remake of this:

http://youtu.be/-s5r2spPJ8g

That, IMO, is the single saddest song ever written. I can't listen to it without thinking of how horrible it would be, and yet how inevitable it is for us all.(at least those with kids) . They grow up into their own, and they may or may not give a shiite about us. My boy is a Packer fan for crying out loud...

a bunch of us were sitting around my local watering hole one saturday afternoon and this came on the pandora feed, we all looked at each other then called for the owner to quickly hit skip before he had a bunch of dudes crying

That, IMO, is the single saddest song ever written. I can't listen to it without thinking of how horrible it would be, and yet how inevitable it is for us all.(at least those with kids) . They grow up into their own, and they may or may not give a shiite about us. My boy is a Packer fan for crying out loud...