[closed]3-4 Hybrid to a 4-3....and keeping Danny Crossman.

NewEra

So our defense finally seems to find a settling point in the 3-4D and we hire a 4-3 DC. So we replace Pettine and our somewhat successful 3-4 scheme with a 4-3 DC that hasn't coached a decent D in 5 years. On top of that, we keep our proven terrible ST coach, who happens to be our new DCs former coach. Just don't like the start to this offseason. It's only 2 moves (1 move and 1 non-move), but I think we're 0-2 so far.

Well we can't stop the run because we do not have a NT to play the 3-4. So I don't see an issue with a 4-3. But as most people have pointed out I think everyone's base defense is a four down lineman nickel. That is used over 50% of the time. That is what Schwartz said. That is what Pettine said. It honestly doesn't matter what the Bills do on the line or in the secondary. This teams still needs to upgrade the LB's.

Let me Kelly the Dog that for you....from this thread http://forums.twobil...80#entry3044574:

So let me get this straight, we lined up Mario, Kyle, Dareus and Branch on run downs, and replaced Branch with Jerry Hughes on passing downs where 99% of the time he lined up on the LOS and rushed the passer at the snap like a bat outta hell. We started and played three LBs almost every play, except when we played two with an extra DB, including Kiko in the middle, usually Lawson and either Moats or Bradham on the other OLB positions, but we're a 3-4 and OMG we're screwed with a 4-3 guy coming in?

:wallbash:

Might want to re-read the above again, before you reply.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Well we can't stop the run because we do not have a NT to play the 3-4. So I don't see an issue with a 4-3. But as most people have pointed out I think everyone's base defense is a four down lineman nickel. That is used over 50% of the time. That is what Schwartz said. That is what Pettine said. It honestly doesn't matter what the Bills do on the line or in the secondary. This teams still needs to upgrade the LB's.

4 lineman nickel only requires 2 LBs. and it is used 50%+ of the time. so why do we need to go big on LBs? Seems to me we need to go big on DBs and D lineman. We have one pro bowl calibre LB now. I am sure we can find someone serviceable to go with him without busting the draft or FA to do it. Sounds like we have the wrong guys for Schwartz's defense already, with no outside speed rush guys to play his wide nine defense. Looks like another year of topsy turvy change on D .

4 lineman nickel only requires 2 LBs. and it is used 50%+ of the time. so why do we need to go big on LBs? Seems to me we need to go big on DBs and D lineman. We have one pro bowl calibre LB now. I am sure we can find someone serviceable to go with him without busting the draft or FA to do it. Sounds like we have the wrong guys for Schwartz's defense already, with no outside speed rush guys to play his wide nine defense. Looks like another year of topsy turvy change on D .

Lets hope we avoid the wide 9 aspect entirely. Given our best defender is not a pure speed rusher, I'm hoping that isn't the direction he takes us.

He said he tailors his scheme to the players he has. He had the luxury of coaching some of the best speed rushers in the game with Jevon Kearse and Cliff Avril. Of course he'd run a Wide 9 with them. I'd run it with them too.

OMG this is asinine - we did not run a 3-4 last year. You realize, don't you, that if Wade or Kevin Butler came in, we'd need WAY MORE of a personnel reform than we will under Schwartz? Our personnel is perfectly suited to the D he runs, it's very similar to what Tennessee was running under Fisher. Stop with the 4-3/3-4 nonsense.

I do find it hilarious that when people were considering Wade, there were innumerable cries of "But Mario Williams doesn't want to play 3-4 OLB! This is going to be a disaster!" and now we're hearing "Oh great, we're moving away from 3-4? This is going to be a disaster!"

Yeah, it's not like we have any speedy pass rushers such as Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes. Obviously, I blame buddy.

But I think you answered your own question on the LB front. Yes, we ran a lot of nickel and dime, which require far fewer LB's. I believe I made a most of that effect in the last offseason. But by god, did our run defense suck. Again. I don't know if LB is the first need, but we obviously need help either with new bodies or better coaching. Schwartz has a great track record on run defense with the latter.

So our defense finally seems to find a settling point in the 3-4D and we hire a 4-3 DC. So we replace Pettine and our somewhat successful 3-4 scheme with a 4-3 DC that hasn't coached a decent D in 5 years. On top of that, we keep our proven terrible ST coach, who happens to be our new DCs former coach. Just don't like the start to this offseason. It's only 2 moves (1 move and 1 non-move), but I think we're 0-2 so far.

There was almost never 3 down lineman last year.

One thing Scwartz knows how to do is get the most out if his Dline.

I think Kyle and Dareus are in good hands.

I don't see this as a concern at all.

It's been stated several times in this thread, but it bears repeating so that everyone on the board gets it.

We DID NOT run a 3-4 defense last year!!!

We DID NOT run a hybrid either!!!

My estimation is that we ran a 4-3 base about 30-40 percent of the time. The rest of the time, we were in nickel.

Hybrid or not, the primarily 4-3 was a disaster for us. Then again, so was the 3-4 a year prior. I think what made this D successful this season, sans giving up the big runs, was aggressiveness and creativity. That, and a whole lot of sackage.

I hope Swartz brings these elements to this unit. Does anyone know what kind of scheme he ran for the successful Titans?

Edited by Just in Atlanta

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165462-bills-hire-jim-schwartz-dc-todd-downing-qb-coach/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165042-crossman-retained/

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.