Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brief note on this hire and I havent had a chance to go through the entire thread. The Bills need experience in coaching positions. Imho, they could ill afford to go with a fresh DC. Schwartz will have talent at his disposal. While the O staff learns, it was imperative that the D continue under an experienced had. Schwartz gives is DC experience.

I'm not terribly impressed with this guy's resume. There are a few good defensive seasons on there, but when you look at overall yds, y/a, and pts allowed, most of his seasons have been mediocre to bad, statistically speaking anyway. And he's had a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball both in TN and DET.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm

Just for ***** and giggles, compare his defenses to Wade Phillips' over the last 10 years if you feel so inclined.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

My assessment when Detroit hired him was that he was a good not GREAT coordinator that got the bump of having Jeff fisher have his back. I can't say Detroit turned that impression around. That said I'll be happy if we field a good defense, and I think we have as much talent as any squad he's coached.

Brief note on this hire and I havent had a chance to go through the entire thread. The Bills need experience in coaching positions. Imho, they could ill afford to go with a fresh DC. Schwartz will have talent at his disposal. While the O staff learns, it was imperative that the D continue under an experienced had. Schwartz gives is DC experience.

To be less negative than some other posts I've made-

He will likely get a lot of leeway to operate on his own which hopefully works out so marrone can be more hands on elsewhere as compared to a new guy that may need more support. He also has experienced networks of position coaches and such.

To be less negative than some other posts I've made-

He will likely get a lot of leeway to operate on his own which hopefully works out so marrone can be more hands on elsewhere as compared to a new guy that may need more support. He also has experienced networks of position coaches and such.

There you go! Happy Friday Night! Lemme buy you one

:beer: :beer:

People keep talking about this "animosity" that coaches feel when they cant leave the job they are under contract for.

Look, the coaching world is nothing like the industry that you, or I, or anyone else here works in. It's a whole different set of rules and lifestyle. These grown men know the rules when they take the job, so do the teams. Sometimes you get to skip out on your contract and get a promotion and the team is stuck, but theres no hard feelings. And sometimes the team needs you to stay.

Losing out on a promotion would suck, but you could also be happy that your current employer (an NFL franchise) likes you so much they are willing to risk it by keeping you.

I agree it seems much different than whatever industry you and I work for. I thought it was required to allow a coach an upgrade, BUT only if to HC?

I thought it was commonplace to permit any upgrade regardless.

I dont know this answer... how often are coaches denied?

I'm reserving judgment until I see whether or not Washburn comes along. If he does I'm completely and utterly against this move. Washburn = wide 9 which requires quality LBs that we do not have. Watch Washburn's work in Philly in 2011-12, it was an absolute mess.

A stat that folks will like to throw around is DET was 6th against the run. They were also 19th in yards per carry and had the 4th fewest rushing attempts against. Nobody bothered running because their pass defense was crap. They were 19th in yards per pass also, and 28th in sacks so why run?

Another one is 3rd down conversion rate.

Detroit gave up 290 first downs this year. 217 on 1st or 2nd Down. Detroit had 211 3rd down attempts and gave up 64 first downs

Buffalo gave up 308 first downs. 213 on 1st or 2nd Down. Buffalo had 245 3rd down attempts and gave up 91 first downs

So Detroit was better on 3rd down but worse on 1st and 2nd. Yay? They did give up 18 fewer first downs than the Bills did all told but that's not necessarily indicative of good defense. If you give up big plays you'll give up less 1st downs in total. Case in point, New Orleans gave up the least 1st downs in the league.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

Lol. Bills' fans know better.

When I saw this my immediate reaction was wow the Bills did great with this hire. I thought when I came here everyone would be saying the same thing. Boy was I wrong lol.

I swear they could've hired belicheat to run the d and people would have said he's nothing as a dc without parcels!

I'm reserving judgment until I see whether or not Washburn comes along. If he does I'm completely and utterly against this move. Washburn = wide 9 which requires quality LBs that we do not have. Watch Washburn's work in Philly in 2011-12, it was an absolute mess.

A stat that folks will like to throw around is DET was 6th against the run. They were also 19th in yards per carry and had the 4th fewest rushing attempts against. Nobody bothered running because their pass defense was crap. They were 19th in yards per pass also, and 28th in sacks so why run?

Whose secondary is better? Buffalo's or Detroit's?

I know you do I apologize if that came off as directed at you. I'm with you and my post was meant as an add in to what you posted. I'm very happy with this move as well.

No apologies needed there, all's good :) .

For me, I am pleased with the actual signing......but more pleased with the style of this signing. We just lost our first coordinator in over 20 years to a HC job & we instantly go and get somebody who is highly respected with a wealth of experience. Is it just me, or does the Bills FO seem to be a lot more focused these last 2 years?

I agree it seems much different than whatever industry you and I work for. I thought it was required to allow a coach an upgrade, BUT only if to HC?

I thought it was commonplace to permit any upgrade regardless.

I dont know this answer... how often are coaches denied?

That is a really good question. Im not very familiar with it either way. This is the first time in recent memory the Bills had to replace staff instead of firing and bringing people in! :P

For me, I am pleased with the actual signing......but more pleased with the style of this signing. We just lost our first coordinator in over 20 years to a HC job & we instantly go and get somebody who is highly respected with a wealth of experience. Is it just me, or does the Bills FO seem to be a lot more focused these last 2 years?

Agreed. No Chan-like reach with Schwartz.

So...if I get this right...you'd prefer a move BACK to the 3-4? Even a Canadian recognizes the stupidity in that thought process.

That's the problem with Canadians. Yall's inability to intelligently evaluate thought processes.

I'm not that caught up in 3-4 v 4-3. It's becoming less significant, but I understand in Canada you guys aren't privy to all the new **** (I hear you guys just got grunge a few years back) but we'll keep you apprised of the trends.

But really, what I'm getting at isn't even specifically about Wade Phillips (although I'd have preferred him and think based on our roster and his history we would be successful year 1), but using him as an example just to illustrate the distinction between two potential candidates. From my perspective, Schwartz ran some very good and some not so good defenses that were not lacking for talent under defensive minded HC Jeff Fisher. Since leaving Fisher his defenses have been mostly mediocre at best. I realize he was the HC, but I'd expect a defensively minded HC to have a significant impact on the defense.

Basically, if a defensive minded guy can't manage a defense that can give you better than 4-12 and 7-9 over the last 2 years with the output they've gotten from the offense, I don't expect much more than mediocrity from him here.

There you go! Happy Friday Night! Lemme buy you one

:beer: :beer:

I'm certainly not declaring he sucks or will obviously fail or anything but he definitely gets some red flags on his résumé that I think are fair to put out there- jasper hit a few of them too with regards to the rush D rankings.

When I saw this my immediate reaction was wow the Bills did great with this hire. I thought when I came here everyone would be saying the same thing. Boy was I wrong lol.

I swear they could've hired belicheat to run the d and people would have said he's nothing as a dc without parcels!

Thought the same. But what you have to realize is some people on here wanted this guy or that guy and didn't get them. That if the truth be known is why they are most upset about.

For the experts out there..

How good was the talent on Detroit's defense the past couple of years? Everyone knows Suh is a superstar. Fairley, Tulloch, Ansah and Houston are anywhere from decent to solid from what I've heard. I don't watch enough of their games to have a solid opinion on them.

I tried to find a decent Lions message board to see what they thought, but I can't find anything resembling this place.

That is a really good question. Im not very familiar with it either way. This is the first time in recent memory the Bills had to replace staff instead of firing and bringing people in! :P

haha! lets all hope this is a positive trend??

No it's not just you. The different feel continues for me as well. This move was not at all same old Bills. I was wondering after the plan in place talk when the shoe would drop. I didn't at all expect to see the hire be someone like this. A name guy, proven recent track record, and universally approved by the press. Certainly not a George Edwards/wannstache type hire.