Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that the talent we have on defense might attract a decent hire for the position. Let's see what they do.

I understand wanting to be an optimist, but seriously, if there was a better guy for DC out there, I'd think the Browns would have hired him instead. Granted they were looking for a HC, but Pettine is not known for being a great offensive mind. They took him because he's damn good on at least one side of the ball. And now we are going to take a step back in the only area of the game that we actually were starting to show signs of progress in. Real progress, not the gosh our QB will probably get better because he has so much upside type of progress. Put me in the "this totally sucks and is typical of our Bills fate camp". I'm stuck as a Bills fan. I will never cheer for another team, and the one I have keeps coming up like Charlie Brown kicking the football :( Edited by Georgia Bill

http://www.wgr550.co...-searc/18242795

Pettine was close to pulling out from Browns search

By Joe Buscaglia

Berea, OH (WGR 550) -- Lasting 25 days, the Cleveland Browns took the longest of any team in the National Football League to hire their new head coach. If they waited much longer to hire Mike Pettine away from the Buffalo Bills, they might have had to restart the search once again.

Speaking with WGR Sports Radio 550 in a one-on-one following his introductory press conference as the Browns head coach, Pettine expressed remorse for how long it was taking and the fact that it was putting the Bills a bit behind the eight-ball.

"That was starting to wear on me these last couple of days," Buffalo's former defensive coordinator said. "I talked to Doug [Marrone] and it was getting to the point where I'd say, 'Hey, if this goes on much longer I need to pull out because it's just not fair to the Bills.'"

The Browns didn't approach Pettine until about two to two-and-a-half weeks into the process, meaning the coach was getting ready for life in Buffalo. The Bills continued to be supportive, even if the timing of the inquiry wasn't ideal for their purposes.

"They've been nothing but first class about this whole thing," Russ Brandon especially, Doug Whaley and Doug Marrone. Just the way that they've handled it almost kind of talking to me saying 'Hey listen, you never know when you're gonna get this opportunity, so hang in there.'"

In fact, Marrone actually helped prepare Pettine not just for the head coach interview process but for the Browns themselves.

"Well he had interviewed with the Browns a year ago, so he was very familiar with how the interviews were structured and who I'd be meeting with and the questions that were being asked," he said. "He had researched the franchise. It was a situation where he had a lot of good information for me. It was very helpful."

Knowing that Pettine would be getting calls to be a head coach eventually, the Bills head coach took it upon himself to include his defensive coordinator in a lot of things that he didn't need to. Marrone prepared him for things to expect when he would become a head coach.

Even with all the excitement of potentially becoming a head coach in the NFL, a part of Pettine was torn. He was of the belief that what the Bills had done defensively in 2013 was the beginning of something big.

"It's truly bittersweet for me. I'm walking out of a defensive room away from some great players and some guys that I've bonded with and built some great relationships with," Pettine said. "The regret I have is unfinished business there. I think we were getting ready, that we had started something that was going to be special there, and I didn't get a chance to finish that. That to me, like I said, that's what makes today bittersweet for me."

But when an opportunity arose to be the head coach, he just couldn't say no.

"I was fully set on looking forward to next year with the Bills," Pettine remarked. "When this opportunity presented itself, I attacked it head on and was fortunate enough to land the job."

The Bills' search for a new defensive coordinator to replace the Browns new head coach is underway.

Twitter: @JoeBuscaglia

Edited by YoloinOhio

We should maintain a stickied thread with examples of his nonsense and well articulated breakdowns of how utterly terrible he is. Perhaps that would impact how he decided to handle himself. It's one thing to disagree with opinions or be negative like he is but he's utterly unprofessional and a hack and that shouldn't fly.

Or ban his name like bleacher report!

I'd settle for a filter that auto-converts his name to:

Tim Troll Graham

This makes me feel even worse

Really? It made me respect Marrone (I don't have anything against him, just don't know much about him) and the organization. I never expected Pettine not to take this job. But the difference between the 2 organizations and their FOs is steeper than a lot of Bills fans want to give Bflo credit for. I live here.... he will see a big difference in how things are done and people and players are treated. Sometimes it takes being around terribly run organizations to realize how good one is. I think he made a smart decision to make sure he built in some personnel control, and wish him the best. He seems like a good guy. It was great to hear how he described Marrone and Whaley. Edited by YoloinOhio

Really? It made me respect Marrone (I don't have anything against him, just don't know much about him) and the organization. I never expected Pettine not to take this job. But the difference between the 2 organizations and their FOs is steeper than a lot of Bills fans want to give Bflo credit for. I live here.... he will see a big difference in how things are done and people and players are treated.

Agreed. Pettine's words reflect well on the entire organization.

We all should be very happy for Pettine. It's always cool when a guy who's paid his dues gets his chance. So good for him and his family. This will be life-changing for them.

GO BILLS!!!

We all should be very happy for Pettine. It's always cool when a guy who's paid his dues gets his chance. So good for him and his family. This will be life-changing for them.

GO BILLS!!!

Lets hope for some good karma, because we have been very kind to some guys to our own teams expense (cutting tjax early so he could catch on somewhere comes to mind)

GO BILLS!!!

There are bosses and there are leaders. Marrone sounds like a leader, and the example Pettine laid out is one that would attract other assistants to want to work for Marrone because he has an interest in their development. I know he would not have left unless he had the opportunity of a lifetime. I know I rag on the Browns a lot (ther deserve it) but this is his lifelong dream and even if it isn't the perfect scenario, he isn't the kind of name where he knows he'll get another opportunity. They have good players, he will just need to deal with the 3 stooges. I hope he can. He doesn't look like the type to be a shrinking violet, and the Browns can't afford anymore negative PR. So he can hang that over their heads. Edited by YoloinOhio

Really? It made me respect Marrone (I don't have anything against him, just don't know much about him) and the organization. I never expected Pettine not to take this job. But the difference between the 2 organizations and their FOs is steeper than a lot of Bills fans want to give Bflo credit for. I live here.... he will see a big difference in how things are done and people and players are treated. Sometimes it takes being around terribly run organizations to realize how good one is. I think he made a smart decision to make sure he built in some personnel control, and wish him the best. He seems like a good guy. It was great to hear how he described Marrone and Whaley.

I agree on all points. It surprises me about Marrone.

He got a 5-year deal (not that it matters), looks like they are trying to give the illusion of stability. For the record, Chud's deal was 4 years $12.5M. I'd wager Pettine's is for the same amount @ $2.5M per, and since coach's contracts are guaranteed - grats on the $12.5M Mike and best of luck.

Really? It made me respect Marrone (I don't have anything against him, just don't know much about him) and the organization. I never expected Pettine not to take this job. But the difference between the 2 organizations and their FOs is steeper than a lot of Bills fans want to give Bflo credit for. I live here.... he will see a big difference in how things are done and people and players are treated. Sometimes it takes being around terribly run organizations to realize how good one is. I think he made a smart decision to make sure he built in some personnel control, and wish him the best. He seems like a good guy. It was great to hear how he described Marrone and Whaley.

+1

Class act all around. I hope we have success, because our leadership team at the top seems great.

This

Great post, I completely agree about Marrone and the Bills organization. And hopefully that will help us in replacing staff. I was just bummed that he was so close to backing out and actually liking his time with the Bills :(

Its funny how Bills fans can be all happy we lost the best coach we have had in years on this staff. 'But he is a good guy good for him' Yeah but that !@#$s us.

But then again why not right? I mean this IS Buffalo and if this team can get screwed in any way it will