Whaley-Dust Settles Approach to FA

We have plenty of guys to keep that would be "splashes" in other cities. Byrd being one of them. Keep Byrd and take a risk on Britt. The guy may just need a new venue, and he can play.

I think Starks will get a lot of money elsewhere, but T. Gearhart would be an interesting backup. Could use him on short yardage and have FJax take less of a pounding.

The best free agent signing are the 'dust settles' guys. I'm sure Miami is really happy with their 'big splashes' especially the linebackers that performed worse than the guys they replaced.

Well put and, of course, I agree. Get all the player….and NO CONTRACT!!

We can't afford to add malcontent guys like Britt. There is not enough leadership & no winning culture to force him to adapt to. I could see him maybe resurrect his career with an established winner like the Pats or a team ready to contend now.

I highly doubt Jermichael Finley ever plays again. He was contemplating retirement after his first concussion this season. After almost having his head taken off when he came back from it, no way.

I'll be happy if we all we add via FA is a starting caliber OG.

I'm fine with the approach, I'd just prefer that they dress it up with a bit more enthusiasm. Something like "we're going to be aggressive in utilizing free agency to fill our holes and make sure that our roster is set up to compete for the playoffs." The "dust settles" comment just rings too much like Nix's take a nap comment. Show some urgency for a change guys.

I have no problem with their approach; however, if they let Byrd walk, then they better at least get one top 20 FA (i.e. Graham, Decker, Verner, Talib). This team has never been close enough to being a playoff team to continually let top 10 talent walk.

Another thing to think about is approaching FAs who need to be re-signed. C.J Spiller, Aaron Williams and Marcell Dareus will all be free agents in 2015, and if they hit the open market, each would command top 10 money. So it won't be a big deal if they take the dust settles approach, that is assuming they don't just sit on their hands all offseason.

I'm fine with the approach, I'd just prefer that they dress it up with a bit more enthusiasm. Something like "we're going to be aggressive in utilizing free agency to fill our holes and make sure that our roster is set up to compete for the playoffs." The "dust settles" comment just rings too much like Nix's take a nap comment. Show some urgency for a change guys.

But you're only taking pieces out of what he said therefor you're removing the enthusiasm. Add in things like "Whaley said the Bills should have enough salary cap space to do “what we need to do to get better.” and you should feel better about it.

I'm on the other side Coach. Russ and the Marketeers have been selling the sizzle for too long with little results come September. I like the measured approach and see it as different....finally.

Plus....well built teams can show urgency. Teams like the Bills can only show desperation as every hole cannot feasibly be filled in March.

The best free agent signing are the 'dust settles' guys. I'm sure Miami is really happy with their 'big splashes' especially the linebackers that performed worse than the guys they replaced.

The angle that's difficult to applaud is that when you draft and develop a "big splash" guy on your own roster, "waiting for the dust to settle" implies that you are philosophically against signing the guy. And, if you don't even try to sign your own excellent players, what does that say about you as an organization? Do players and agents think your organization is totally committed to winning? What about running up a white flag until the shooting stops suggests that an organization is highly motivated to kick some tail?