Steinberg's book - details Leaf sabotaged draft to go to SD instea

YoloinOhio

I wouldn't move to Nashville for an extra million.

Why? Nashville's a nice city while Detroit is a dying one. It's not even close if you have a family. I'm guessing you've never been there.

Add to it that Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax which makes it even more than the extra million.

It was an easy decision, a million more to live in Nashville or a million less to live in Detroit which is basically a third world country

Ever heard of the suburbs? What, you think all the players, coaches and staff live right in the heart of "8 mile" or something? He'd have a nice fancy house just like the rest of the NFL coaches.

It's been confirmed he took the Nashville job because the Titans offered him a job, the Lions were on the fence with him and Caldwell. Take your conspiracy theories to an ancient aliens message board.

It's a non story. I heard Greenie trying to hang Beathard up on this and it was pitiful. Nobody on the planet thought Polian was going to pass on Manning. If Steinberg made that call to SD, he was just worried about falling out of favor with SD and falling further in the draft.

SO WHAT??!!

This. It was painful to listen to on the radio. Greenberg thought he was breaking some huge story and it came off as completely amatuerish. Those two are getting harder and harder to listen to IMO

Oh - duh. I already forgot about the Lions job .... yeah he turned down a lot of talent. But he did get a much better offer $ wise and I work with someone who knows his wife well from when they were in Pitt and there was no way she was going to Detroit after being in AZ and SD.

His wife is from the south, I believe. And Whisenhunt went to school at Georgia Tech. It might be that they want to get back to the region; add the extra money; add the fact that Martin Mayhew could be on his last legs in Detroit and a new GM might want his own coach and Detroit, as talented as they are, might not be the best choice. Everything is not about “rust belt” or people not wanting to be there. I’m sure most in the Lions organization don’t live in the city, but in the suburbs where the money is. The Lions situation could change again very soon. It’s a pressure cooker that the new HC in Detroit would be stepping into. It doesn’t appear to be that way in Tennessee.

Why? Nashville's a nice city while Detroit is a dying one. It's not even close if you have a family. I'm guessing you've never been there.

Add to it that Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax which makes it even more than the extra million.

Why do you believe they would be living in the city itself? Come on now...

Edited by purple haze

everyone here is telling the truth except Bobby Bethard.

I am convinced that ryan leaf preferred san diego over indy. I am convinced lee Steinberg concocted the plan to stiff the Jim Mora meeting and that they tipped off Bobby Bethard (who can't seem to remember).

I also belive Bill Polian scoffing at the idea that they were or could be manipulated.

Eli Manning, John Elway and others have attempted to manipulate the draft process based on personal preferences.....it happens.

everyone here is telling the truth except Bobby Bethard.

I am convinced that ryan leaf preferred san diego over indy. I am convinced lee Steinberg concocted the plan to stiff the Jim Mora meeting and that they tipped off Bobby Bethard (who can't seem to remember).

I also belive Bill Polian scoffing at the idea that they were or could be manipulated.

Eli Manning, John Elway and others have attempted to manipulate the draft process based on personal preferences.....it happens.

I heard Beathard's interview on M&M... he was really hemming and hawing. It was awful and he sounded like he was trying to cover something up. But what did he even need to cover up? So Steinberg calls and says Leaf is blowing off a meeting with Polian and Mora because he wants to go to the Chargers. Bobby says "OK...." Where does that even break a rule? They didn't need to draft him if they didn't want to. But he just sounded shady.

According to then-Chargers-GM Bobby Beathard, the story is total hogwash.

He says that San Diego always preferred Manning to Leaf, and thus would never have participated in an elaborate ruse to get Leaf to fall to them.

http://profootballta...ated-the-colts/

Not that an agent would lie...

Why would Bobby Beathard ever want to perpetuate a story that he wanted Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning AT ALL, let alone badly enough to do something like that?

According to then-Chargers-GM Bobby Beathard, the story is total hogwash.

He says that San Diego always preferred Manning to Leaf, and thus would never have participated in an elaborate ruse to get Leaf to fall to them.

http://profootballta...ated-the-colts/

Not that an agent would lie...

well, not that this guy would like to make himself look better for taking Leaf. Just saying.

Something I'll always remember about EJ on draft day is he genuinely said that he was hoping the Bills would draft him, that was where he really wanted to be. Regardless of what happens with him ultimately (I am a fan of his) I feel like you don't always hear that from guys. While I think it is just Gilmore's normal face, he just looked, um, underwhelmed when he was drafted by the Bills.

haha. Yeah I remember Gilmore's face as well. But it looks that's like he always looks. Very stoic.

Nashville offering a million more a season had nothing to do with it I guess

It was an easy decision, a million more to live in Nashville or a million less to live in Detroit which is basically a third world country

Indy was always taking Manning but I've read and heard mentioned a lot that it was a lot closer then most ppl think

Detroit may be a mess, but that's not where the coach would live anyway. He'd be out in one of the prosperous, safe & attractive suburbs, just like the players do.