An Example Of Bravery And Restraint

Give these people a raise

Barret Robbins weighs 380. He was kicking and punching the cops, and laughing while doing so. He was on a toilet, barking and growling. He even knocked the gun away from one of the police officers.

These men showed caution, heroism and restraint by not fully unloading into this sick, violent man.

Great Job Officers!!!!!

Agreed. But he does clearly have major issues. Had he been obviously "sane" and his behaviour purely vicious, they probably could have shot him. But shooting a nutcase like that is like shooting a rapid dog - only necessary when the officer or general public is in imminent danger.

Of course we all know that the definition of "imminent danger' is verrrryyyyy broad these days..... :-)

I didn't say any of that. They DID shoot him twice in the chest after all. And they could have shot him in the head, or shot him dozens of times. But they didn't, and that's good. I'm not going to second-guess because I wasn't there. My point is that out and out killing of an unarmed, mentally-ill person is not the same as killing a vicious, sane sociopath with murder in his heart.

So sorry to rain on your pissy parade. And the guy could die anyway. Sad to say he'll probably be better off. I feel for the officers, and I feel for him.

So sorry to rain on your pissy parade.  And the guy could die anyway.  Sad to say he'll probably be better off.  I feel for the officers, and I feel for him.

213058[/snapback]

I'll make it easy for all of you...

Your note above is what I think makes you a Liberal. And the thing that makes many of you think that I am nothing more than a WingNut whacko on the far right is that I feel for the officers, but I don't feel much of anything at all for him. Now, I don't hate him or anything. But, I'll go to bat a thousand times out of a thousand for the cops in cases like this.

Your note above is what I think makes you a Liberal.  And the thing that makes many of you think that I am nothing more than a WingNut whacko on the far right is that I feel for the officers, but I don't feel much of anything at all for him.  Now, I don't hate him or anything.  But, I'll go to bat a thousand times out of a thousand for the cops in cases like this.

213110[/snapback]

I don't think Debbie was saying the officers were in the wrong. But if it's liberal to consider the context of the situation (in this case, that the guy is bipolar, has serious problems and probably no one to help him), then sign me up. No one's excusing the guy, and for attacking cops he should see some jail time; he may even die for it. But there is nothing wrong with trying to help the guy fix his life if he makes it, and even feeling compassion for him. In my opinion it's the most Christian thing to do. The problem is that a lot of the "WingNut whackos on the far right," as you put them, ignore that element of Christianity while claiming to represent it in this country. I prefer Rev. Jim Wallis' evangelism.

I don't think Debbie was saying the officers were in the wrong.  But if it's liberal to consider the context of the situation (in this case, that the guy is bipolar, has serious problems and probably no one to help him), then sign me up.  No one's excusing the guy, and for attacking cops he should see some jail time; he may even die for it.  But there is nothing wrong with trying to help the guy fix his life if he makes it, and even feeling compassion for him.  In my opinion it's the most Christian thing to do.  The problem is that a lot of the "WingNut whackos on the far right," as you put them, ignore that element of Christianity while claiming to represent it in this country.  I prefer Rev. Jim Wallis' evangelism.

213429[/snapback]

I guess missing the Super Bowl wasn't enough of a wakeup call. Maybe the multi-tap to the torso will be? :D

I guess missing the Super Bowl wasn't enough of a wakeup call.  Maybe the multi-tap to the torso will be? :D

213483[/snapback]

One would hope so. Unfortunately, when mental illness gets to the point of severe lead poisoning such as that, it's usually a hopeless case...

Of course I have the utmost sympathy for Robbins and wish he'd get (or had gotten) help. At the same time...the police involved did absolutely nothing wrong. A guy that size attacks you, you do what you can to defend yourself and worry about why he's doing it afterwards.

I guess missing the Super Bowl wasn't enough of a wakeup call.  Maybe the multi-tap to the torso will be? :D

213483[/snapback]

Given that he has a mental illness, no, maybe it wasn't. Maybe nothing will be. But I don't think telling people to give up is a better idea. It's easy to tell people to 'buck up' when you're not in the situation.

Again, the cops were right. But I don't think what I said conflicts with that. Don't know that I merited one of these this time: :P

Given that he has a mental illness, no, maybe it wasn't.  Maybe nothing will be.  But I don't think telling people to give up is a better idea.  It's easy to tell people to 'buck up' when you're not in the situation.

Again, the cops were right.  But I don't think what I said conflicts with that.  Don't know that I merited one of these this time: :D

213508[/snapback]

It wasn't for you, it was for Robbins. If something significant doesn't change, that guy's probably going to kill some innocent guy.

I don't think Debbie was saying the officers were in the wrong.  But if it's liberal to consider the context of the situation (in this case, that the guy is bipolar, has serious problems and probably no one to help him), then sign me up.  No one's excusing the guy, and for attacking cops he should see some jail time; he may even die for it.  But there is nothing wrong with trying to help the guy fix his life if he makes it, and even feeling compassion for him.  In my opinion it's the most Christian thing to do.  The problem is that a lot of the "WingNut whackos on the far right," as you put them, ignore that element of Christianity while claiming to represent it in this country.  I prefer Rev. Jim Wallis' evangelism.

213429[/snapback]

What makes you folks think that the cops had prior knowledge that this guy was bipolar? Was there any report about that? Do you think they recognized him because he was an offensive lineman 3000 miles away? Should they ask him if he is on meds during their struggle?

What makes you folks think that the cops had prior knowledge that this guy was bipolar?  Was there any report about that?  Do you think they recognized him because he was an offensive lineman 3000 miles away?  Should they ask him if he is on meds during their struggle?

213528[/snapback]

Of course not. READ WHAT I WROTE. The cops were in the right. I am just saying that there is nothing wrong with feeling compassion for Robbins and hoping he can straighten his life out, if he lives. Jesus.

Of course not.  READ WHAT I WROTE.  The cops were in the right.  I am just saying that there is nothing wrong with feeling compassion for Robbins and hoping he can straighten his life out, if he lives.  Jesus.

213536[/snapback]

Is it a fact that it was bipolar or depression or alcoholism that caused him to act the way he did or in this case did he do it just because he is an !@#$?

I hope he does not die either; he certainly needs help with his "problems". But he should be institutionalized in prison or a mental hospital and drugs and/or therapy should be mandated.

Of course not.  READ WHAT I WROTE.  The cops were in the right.  I am just saying that there is nothing wrong with feeling compassion for Robbins and hoping he can straighten his life out, if he lives.  Jesus.

213536[/snapback]

You wrote:

I don't think Debbie was saying the officers were in the wrong. But if it's liberal to consider the context of the situation (in this case, that the guy is bipolar, has serious problems and probably no one to help him

Well the cops had no opportunity to consider any context, since they likely did not have any.

Who said there should be no compassion for the guy?

Maybe you meant the context should be considered when we all examine Robbins. Fine. It reads like you meant the cops should consider the context. This is especially true when you consider Debbie's posts reads the same way and you are agreeing with her.

Maybe you should read what you write before telling other to do so in capital letters.

Well the cops had no opportunity to consider any context, since they likely did not have any.

Who said there should be no compassion for the guy?

213571[/snapback]

JimShiz said he didn't feel for Robbins, but did for the cops, later clarified it.

Maybe you meant the context should be considered when we all examine Robbins.  Fine.  It reads like you meant the cops should consider the context.  This is especially true when you consider Debbie's posts reads the same way and you are agreeing with her. 

213571[/snapback]

That is what I meant, and what you are implying makes no sense to me since I preface the quote with "the cops were not in the wrong." Again, in the context of the conversation with Jim, he was saying, that liberals would feel compassion for Robbins (in addition to, or maybe instead of? the cops), while I was pointing out that there is nothing wrong with feeling this way while understanding completely the actions of the cops. I think Debbie is not completely wrong here.

Edit: I will agree her first post is a little unclear in this aspect.

I did, after all, say

"But if it's liberal to consider the context of the situation (in this case, that the guy is bipolar, has serious problems and probably no one to help him), then sign me up."

Not that the cops should have had the foresight to know this guy is bipolar, etc. That's putting ridiculous words into my mouth.

I'm sorry you didn't read it the way I thought I wrote it. Thought I was clear in my response to Jim.

Is it a fact that it was bipolar or depression or alcoholism that caused him to act the way he did or in this case did he do it just because he is an !@#$?

A "fact"? No. There are no facts when it comes to human behavior. But until and unless all the facts of the event come out (e.g. was he actually doing somthing illegal that compelled him to attack the cops, or was he sitting quietly and wigged out at the sight of them?) it's a pretty bloody safe bet, as his behavior was NOT normal.

I hope he does not die either; he certainly needs help with his "problems".  But he should be institutionalized in prison or a mental hospital and drugs and/or therapy should be mandated.

213560[/snapback]

Absolutely...but at the same time, I think the charge of "felony attempted murder" is a little extreme, unless they can prove intent on his part (and "intent" in someone suffering a bipolar episode - or any episode of mental illness, really - is a very slippery concept.) A charge of assault and sentence of probation contingent on mandatory treatment would be much more humane and productive.

Your note above is what I think makes you a Liberal.  And the thing that makes many of you think that I am nothing more than a WingNut whacko on the far right is that I feel for the officers, but I don't feel much of anything at all for him.  Now, I don't hate him or anything.  But, I'll go to bat a thousand times out of a thousand for the cops in cases like this.

213110[/snapback]

WWJD? Or feel?

:devil::lol: