Report: Bills WILL add a QB's coach

The Big Cat

AVP would be great. Who else is out there that would be great working with young QB's?

Why do you think AVP would be great? Not intended as snark, honest question. Would like to know how you see it.

As player:

*Inactive and/or offseason member only As coach:

Jim Kelly

Um, no.

I know there was an AVP discussion last week, but this confirms that the possibilities extend beyond him.

http://t.co/z2NATtCj8a

Wow, am I the only one who really doesn't like the (quoted) explanation of Marrone?

"not that Hackett couldn't do it" .......Methinks the laddie doth protest too much.

1. when you go into the season with 2 rookies and 1 "vet" who has been lost for the season several times, I would call it a reasonably predictable outcome that the coach will be trying to prep 2 rookies for the game each week.

2. Most teams, especially teams with young QB, have a QB coach listed on their coaching staffs. Seattle Seahawks have a QB coach. SF49ers have a QB coach. I haven't gone through all 32 teams, but my impression is it is more common than not.

So last offseason they "protected" their investment in a rookie QB with a rookie OC, no QB coach, no left guard, and an injury-prone veteran backup. Now they're scrambling to fill those voids. Not good, but better late than never I suppose.

One would have thought that an offensive minded ex NFL O line player, ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC for the New Orleans Saints for 3 years would have never made all the mistakes Marrone made in his first year as an NFL head coach.

One of the best phrases that came from Chan Gailey after his first year as head coach..."you don't know what you don't know"!

The reason some NFL head coaches spend 80 hours a week in their jobs was because they meticulously went over every little detail in everything they did. Some head coaches pay so much attention to detail that they want to leave nothing to guesswork, so when their team takes the field there is nothing left to chance except the bounce of the oblong spheroid.

Clearly that didn't happen last year, and hopefully we fans will see some better results this year from more experienced coaches. :unsure:

Hopefully this new QB coach is someone with some past NFL experience to help out that 2nd year coaching staff. Perhaps someone like a Jim Zorn.

Edited by FeartheLosing

AVP would be great. Who else is out there that would be great working with young QB's?

AVP has struggled to catch on as a QB coach. He's now a RB coach.

Great another step closer to being a legitimate franchise. It sickens me how half-assed this organization has been run over the past decade.

Short memories here. David Lee was hired as QB coach by this same organization less than 2 years ago. He was fired along with the rest of the staff to make way for MArrone/Hackett.

Marrone was smarter than everyone and declared he didn't need to hire a QB coach because Nate Hackett had done such an awesome job developing Marrone's college QB (who Marrone decided was undraftable by the season's end).

Now Marrone has decided that, yeah, he needs a QB after all to work on his "projected project" first round draft pick.

AVP has struggled to catch on as a QB coach. He's now a RB coach.

Short memories here. David Lee was hired as QB coach by this same organization less than 2 years ago. He was fired along with the rest of the staff to make way for MArrone/Hackett.

Marrone was smarter than everyone and declared he didn't need to hire a QB coach because Nate Hackett had done such an awesome job developing Marrone's college QB (who Marrone decided was undraftable by the season's end).

Now Marrone has decided that, yeah, he needs a QB after all to work on his "projected project" first round draft pick.

I suppose some of us just prefer to acknowledge the step forward, rather than dwell on the mistake.

I know, 14 years, blah blah blah. But like it our not, it's going to be at least another 48 weeks before this team makes the playoffs.

The Bills should have acted on this once their season was over. Now they are dealing with a dry pool.

Yes and no. While I complain about the browns HC search or even our possible DC search - I think the pool for qb coach is a different beast, depending what you are looking for. I think you'd be far more apt to find a suitable qbc today than someone at a higher level, though we may have missed on a few better choices.

I suppose some of us just prefer to acknowledge the step forward, rather than dwell on the mistake.

I know, 14 years, blah blah blah. But like it our not, it's going to be at least another 48 weeks before this team makes the playoffs.

The beauty of this post (for you) is that you can copy/paste/repost it every January for 14 years.... and counting.

The guy I would love to see as QB coach is old Chan Gailey he would be perfect. He can also help Hackett. Show these guys how to use Cj and Sj and reinstall the pistol package. I know this isn't realistic but would be a great hire..

Another option would be Kyle Shanahan he did a great job with RG3 in his first yr and the Skins ran the same type of offense as the Bills ( read option ). So there probably wouldn't be s clash of philosophies. I actually think the Skins ran the option better then the Bills did. So Kyle can add alot of knowledge to our offense.

The guy I would love to see as QB coach is old Chan Gailey he would be perfect. He can also help Hackett. Show these guys how to use Cj and Sj and reinstall the pistol package. I know this isn't realistic but would be a great hire.........

I was thinking the same. In the entirety of Chan's coaching career he never had a QB with as much raw ability as EJ has. I think he was very good a getting what he could out of lower ceiling talents and he might just get excited over the prospect of developing a top tier talent. His style always seemed more professorial than dictatorial and he would easily manage the QB room.

Yes and no. While I complain about the browns HC search or even our possible DC search - I think the pool for qb coach is a different beast, depending what you are looking for. I think you'd be far more apt to find a suitable qbc today than someone at a higher level, though we may have missed on a few better choices.

The Panthers hired Ken Dorsey... and he had a lot of success with Cam Newton this year, I think. Sure Newton is as naturally gifted as they come, but Dorsey has helped him with the mental part of being a QB. What he is seeing on the field, etc. Rivers said the exact same thing about Frank Reich. These guys get it. It isn't all about the physical. You get someone who has played the position... and takes a cerebral viewpoint of it... it helps guys trying to transition from facing college defenses to NFL defenses. Hackett, for one - can't imagine he knew a lot about that.

The other beauty being that as fans all we have is faith and hope. Anything else is a self-inflicted hazard to your well being.

Hope is unconditional, faith must be earned. Churning out the same "oops" results with different guys in charge year after year doesn't instill faith.

Believing so challenges sanity.