Report: Bills WILL add a QB's coach

The Big Cat

I wonder what exactly qualified Hackett to be a QB coach. I understand he might be great with X's and O's, but to me, a QB coach should be someone who can work on the footwork, arm angles, and other mechanical things that a QB coach can keep hammering away at.

I wonder what exactly qualified Hackett to be a QB coach. I understand he might be great with X's and O's, but to me, a QB coach should be someone who can work on the footwork, arm angles, and other mechanical things that a QB coach can keep hammering away at.

I'm guessing it was because he played a large role in developing Ryan Nassib at Syracuse.

Even if Hackett were qualified to be a Q.B. coach- and he probably is- it is absurd, from a time management perspective, to have a rookie O.C. also serve as Q.B. coach for a rookie Q.B., especially with no veteran Q.B. on the roster. Marrone exhibits considerable hubris.

So last offseason they "protected" their investment in a rookie QB with a rookie OC, no QB coach, no left guard, and an injury-prone veteran backup. Now they're scrambling to fill those voids. Not good, but better late than never I suppose.

yea this is the quote that particularly bothered me, knowing that kolb was a little risky, and it wouldve cost nothing to keep jackson til final cuts:

"We’re looking at quarterback coaches," Marrone said. "One of the things that happened when we had those injuries was trying to get three quarterbacks ready. And having just Nathaniel was a very difficult situation, one that we didn’t foresee, but it was the situation we were in. We have a young stable of quarterbacks right now. We want to make sure we add people."

"Not that Nathaniel can’t handle it," Marrone said. "But we want to make sure his role as a leader and coordinator is to make sure everything’s going right. When you put three quarterbacks that are playing only one game of experience between the three, that’s not a situation you would wish on even your enemies in this profession."

i feel like several of us foresaw the possibility of being left with a bad situation there. frustrating they seem to have not calculated that risk in their early decision making (cutting a vet early, not hiring an experienced OC, or a QB coach at all.... just a little more experience somewhere)

Here is another name. Charlie Fisher. QB Coach for Penn State the last 2 years, got let go during the transition. He has worked with Jay Cutler, Tory Holt, and helped mold Matt McGloin from a walk-on to an NFL starter (albeit Bill O'Brien gets most of the credit, but I gotta think Fisher had something to do with it as well). Seems very well respected, but no specfic NFL experience.