Richard Sherman post game -- 'nuff said!

cage

"off the field" conduct ? ?

Last year, Browner and Richard Sherman, the two starting cornerbacks of the Seattle Seahawks, both faced 4-game suspensions for reportedly testing positive for a banned substance. At the time, multiple reports identified the substance as Adderall.

Browner chose not to appeal the positive test and served his suspension. Sherman appealed the suspension and won on appeal. Sherman's appeal was based on errors in the chain of custody of his urine sample and that there were mistakes made by the tester.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yesterday it was all about "me" and today it's about "team, community and family". I imagine he has several emails from his agent this morning telling him to backtrack. I'm gonna say yesterday's on-field interview is a better representation of Sherm (as much as he may want to change that image now). Ohhh, I forgot to add "in my opinion" Edited by BringBackFergy

http://mmqb.si.com/2...chael-crabtree/

5 mins ago

‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …’

I show passion on the football field—but that’s only a small part of who I am. If you want to judge me, I can handle it.

Nice response by Sherman. I'm not totally convinced that the end of the game exchange between him and Crabtree went down quite like Sherman attests, but I'll give him some credit for addressing the criticism without sounding like a lunatic and not backtracking.

Its a slippery slope he's walking. One day he won't be the best corner in the league and his schtick might not be so easily forgiven when hes just another player.

"off the field" conduct ? ?

Last year, Browner and Richard Sherman, the two starting cornerbacks of the Seattle Seahawks, both faced 4-game suspensions for reportedly testing positive for a banned substance. At the time, multiple reports identified the substance as Adderall.

Browner chose not to appeal the positive test and served his suspension. Sherman appealed the suspension and won on appeal. Sherman's appeal was based on errors in the chain of custody of his urine sample and that there were mistakes made by the tester.

the saddest truth does not mitigate that circumstance but only clouds the water - all athletes are on something. From Phil Hansen to Richard Sherman. They're on somethjng. Word has it Tom Brady is often on men, even.

kids playing competitive sports professionally. Both r very very good at what they do, play in the nfl, & r under the spot light. The media luvs it! They talk smack the entire game,,,,, its entertaining and a lot of people enjoy it. It does need to b controlled at times but last night was harmless, with emotions playing a huge role in there actions. I would take both players on our team. They r both better than anything we currently have!

So yesterday it was all about "me" and today it's about "team, community and family". I imagine he has several emails from his agent this morning telling him to backtrack. I'm gonna say yesterday's on-field interview is a better representation of Sherm (as much as he may want to change that image now). Ohhh, I forgot to add "in my opinion"

You're certainly entitled, but I doubt that he cares what either one of thinks of him.

They're a big issue with me. Sherman showed himself to be thugish and lacking in class. It was a me first tyraid of an immature kid playing a team sport. Contrast his before camera behavior with Manning and Brady and you'll notice a huge difference. It matters nothing how good a player he is if he cannot behave in a respectable manner after play is over. It is, after all, just a game.

How were his actions "thugish"? Define "thugish" for me. When Rivers was on the sideline yapping/making gestures at Cutler like a fool years ago in a blowout, were his actions "thugish" and lacking class? Or was that just Rivers acting silly.

Manning and Brady are HOF QB's with generally calm demeanors - that's what helps them achieve THEIR greatness.

Sherman is a ball-hawking defensive player that thrives by having a voracious attitude - that's what helps him achieve HIS greatness.

Asking Sherman to act like Brady and Manning simply wouldn't work.

Sherman talks a lot and then he backs it up on the field. Big deal. That's what makes sports entertaining. It's just a game to you and me. Football is Sherman's life; it's his job; it's his livelihood. Hundreds of millions of dollars are at play. PeeWee football is just a game. The NFL is not.

When Rivers was on the sideline yapping/making gestures at Cutler like a fool years ago in a blowout, were his actions "thugish" and lacking class? Or was that just Rivers acting silly.

rivers and cutler have both been highly criticized for their conduct. i dont think anyone would point to them as "classy." is there a reason we shouldnt hold sherman to a high standard of conduct? even he isnt saying what he did was right or classy, simply that its not the whole story on who he is.

getting after a guy after the game is done serves no purpose.

Edited by NoSaint

If I was the reporter I would have asked: "So if you're the best corner in the league you must think you're better than all your team mate corners?"

Watch at the :50 mark. He gets punched by an o lineman. He can take a punch though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xw09AcvzI

Damn, he got cocked.

rivers and cutler have both been highly criticized for their conduct. i dont think anyone would point to them as "classy." is there a reason we shouldnt hold sherman to a high standard of conduct? even he isnt saying what he did was right or classy, simply that its not the whole story on who he is.

but would that have been "thugish" is my question. I think we both know the answer. We know what is indirectly meant by "thugish". Nothing Sherman did yesterday was "thugish"...over the top, sure. Call a spade a spade.

Edited by bobobonators

but would that have been "thugish" is my question. I think we both know the answer. We know what is indirectly meant by "thugish". Nothing Sherman did yesterday was "thugish"...over the top, sure. Call a spade a spade.

What he did was show no class in victory. Patting another player on the ass like that isn't done, neither are the choke gestures. His behavior wasn't thuggish it was boorish.

im aware it comes with connotations, and generally try to avoid the term myself to stay out away from those extra implications. i also dont think that everyone that uses it intends to associate all of that (im sure i have simply as its a commonly used term thats quick), but another talk for another thread (and likely a different board).

i think the term classless, or as others have used boorish, serves plenty well in this situation, just like it would in the others you mentioned (as opposed to "silly"). what he did was unneeded, and uncalled for regardless of race. is it the end of the world? no, of course not - but its still not something thats needed or adds to my enjoyment of the game. i get that some players thrive on it, but i dont generally like it as a fan and the fans that LOVE it tend to be the ones that drive me the most crazy (not directed at any individual personally in this talk)

Edited by NoSaint

Sherman is a very good corner. He made a great play in about the biggest moment possible. You really can't take anything away from him on the field.

His behavior after the play and after the game was a joke. He should be embarrassed. It's the culture nowadays, so I am not too surprised how people see past it or justify it by the actual play, but there is really no excuse. We have no standards of behavior anymore. The only standard is getting noticed, getting attention. It's pathetic really. When he grows up and looks back on what he said, no doubt he will be ashamed of his post game behavior.

What he did was show no class in victory. Patting another player on the ass like that isn't done, neither are the choke gestures. His behavior wasn't thuggish it was boorish.

That's an absolutely fair opinion. We can have a conversation about that and yet respectively disagree to a point.

My entire prior post dealing with the "thugish" comment addressed an underlying feeling many have with Sherman, which only fuels the vitriol over Sherman's actions. That specific conversation is unwarranted.

Edited by bobobonators

As one of the old, crotchety get-off-my-lawn guys around here now, I feel like I'm watching the NFL turn into WWF. It's really tiring watching a person make a great play and then spin the ball in front of the ref instead of handing it to him, or pointing to the name on the back of their jersey.

Sherman sounded more like Captain Lou Albano than a professional football player, and it was at least nice to see the station go back to the booth instead of letting him rant any further.

Now...get off my lawn, ya damn hooligans.

Edited by LABillzFan