Travis Henry - How about a performance based

stevestojan

Hear me out.

Since Miami doesn't have a 2nd rounder, couldn't we trade him for this years 3rd, and then a performance based pick in the 2006 draft?

For example, we trade him to Miami for this years 3rd. Done.

Then, we get next years (2006) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th:

We get Miami's 4th if he runs for less than 900 yards.

We get Miami's 3rd is he runs for 901-1399.

We get Miami's 2nd is he runs over 1400yards.

We get Miami's 1st if he leads the league in rushing.

This could work for any team, but would be especially nice for a divisional rival. i mean, we are afraid to trade him to Miami for fear he might tear it up against us... Well, now that would take a little sting out of it, no?

Its a good idea, but I really dont want to see us trade inside the division at all. The only possible way I'd even consider an offer from the Fins is if they offered up their first rounder, and as we know thats not going to happen. So I like the idea of performance based draft picks and I'd definitely support that system for any team ASIDE from Miami.

Its a good idea, but I really dont want to see us trade inside the division at all.  The only possible way I'd even consider an offer from the Fins is if they offered up their first rounder, and as we know thats not going to happen.  So I like the idea of performance based draft picks and I'd definitely support that system for any team ASIDE from Miami.

212319[/snapback]

Hell why not trade within the division. It worked out pretty well for the Pats :devil:

I think your idea makes sense for any teams EXCEPT any in our division, thus Miami. Any trade to a division foe would have to be of great return for us and one that would not require our rooting for that player (read team) to perform well.

So when he runs all over our defense for 200 yards per game twice at least we'll get a higher draft pick out of it. Better yet, lets say we close the season vs. Miami in a meaningless game. We could let him rack up however many yards he needed to in order to get whatever draft pick we wanted....

Brillliant! :devil:

I think your idea makes sense for any teams EXCEPT any in our division, thus Miami.  Any trade to a division foe would have to be of great return for us and one that would not require our rooting for that player (read team) to perform well.

212324[/snapback]

True... I could just see it.. next year, last game of the season. We're out of the playoffs and Henry needs 100 yards to lead the league... Im guessing our rush Defense wouldn't be all that tough that week :devil:

Hear me out.

Since Miami doesn't have a 2nd rounder, couldn't we trade him for this years 3rd, and then a performance based pick in the 2006 draft?

For example, we trade him to Miami for this years 3rd. Done.

Then, we get next years (2006) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th:

We get Miami's 4th if he runs for less than 900 yards.

We get Miami's 3rd is he runs for 901-1399.

We get Miami's 2nd is he runs over 1400yards.

We get Miami's 1st if he leads the league in rushing.

This could work for any team, but would be especially nice for a divisional rival. i mean, we are afraid to trade him to Miami for fear he might tear it up against us... Well, now that would take a little sting out of it, no?

212316[/snapback]

Perhaps, but performance clauses affect player contracts. From the player's viewpoint, say he signs a contract where something kicks in at 1000 yards. But he gets some bench time because of a double-whammy - the team doesn't want to pay the incentive, and doesn't want to give up the higher draft pick. Player gets angry, plays poorly etc. Round and round it goes.

Watching the B'gals in operation from 1990 through 2002 taught me that bit of cynicism... :devil: