Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep telling ourselves that --- with 4 Pro Bowlers and a potential 5th (Kiko) -- led league in sacks, 2nd in INT's, Top 5 pass defense --- issues were around contain / cut backs / over pursuit --- yielding big plays --- reality: defense was the ONLY bright spot on the 6-10 Marrone team ---- lose Pettine and start planning for Top 3 pick in 2015 draft --- Mariota, Hundley, Hackenberg, Petty etc. etc. ---- another rinse/repeat and rebuild with a new HC --- lose Pettine this year and Marrone will be on proverbial hot seat next year when this team goes 3-13

What about the games where Pettine's "genious" defense sucked out loud and the offense scored enough points to win but we ended up losing? Blame Hackett? Be excited about the sack totals? Good grief.

Let's speculate on HC openings at the end of next season that would be better places for Pettine than Cleveland.

Dallas, Oakland, and Miami come to mind. Others?

None of those teams would go after him (well, maybe the Raiders) unless the Bills make the playoffs. IMO. Browns are desperate and are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I could be wrong about this, but from what I have read, a lot of our defensive success is from scheme whereas a lot of Seattle's success is due to players. That is, Seattle runs a very predictable defensive scheme--but has the players to run it really well (one-gap, cover 3; drop the corners in man-to-man on short routes; not a lot of surprises).

I don't know if that is entirely true, and if it's true, whether that necessarily means that Pettine is a better coach than Quinn. But something to chew on when comparing the two guys.

Not sure about that, considering the overall talent on the Bills defense if you look at where they were drafted would be better than Seattle's. I think, like all teams, they are using their personnel to build a scheme that works and from there trying to build on that personnel to keep getting better.

I could be wrong about this, but from what I have read, a lot of our defensive success is from scheme whereas a lot of Seattle's success is due to players. That is, Seattle runs a very predictable defensive scheme--but has the players to run it really well (one-gap, cover 3; drop the corners in man-to-man on short routes; not a lot of surprises).

I don't know if that is entirely true, and if it's true, whether that necessarily means that Pettine is a better coach than Quinn. But something to chew on when comparing the two guys.

Hard for me to believe when you look at Buffalo's expensive DL anchored by the 100 million dollar man. I would certainly hope that with all that high priced beef it isn't all scheme.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'd say the verdict is more out on Quinn than Pettine.

We know Pettine can scheme and make his players better.

Quinn is STACKED with talent. I don't know whether his scheme matters all that much in Seattle as there are no holes. For all we know he is at a greater risk of becoming a Dave Wannstedt type who rode the coattails off amazing talent . I don't have any worries about Pettine but I sure would about Quinn.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Hard for me to believe when you look at Buffalo's expensive DL anchored by the 100 million dollar man. I would certainly hope that with all that high priced beef it isn't all scheme.

I certainly don't think it's all scheme-- but Pettine did what Wanny couldn't do: devise a scheme that was unpredictable and put his players in great positions to succeed. The DL has a lot of talent-- but then you have guys like Robey (a rookie) and Leonhard (an old, slow vet) who are getting sacks and picks, in large part because os Pettine's calls and scheme.

Good point. Specifically their secondary personnel are very impressive. I've also heard that they're instructed to grab and hold on every play knowing the officials will only call a fraction of it.

if interested in reading about the seahawks, this is a good breakdown/introduction to the concepts in their scheme. while they are elite talents, they also have a pretty nifty scheme that goes beyond "lineup and be better than the guy across from you"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/1/4787546/the-seahawks-and-multiple-defensive-fronts

Edited by NoSaint

Even at 48 pages, this thread isn't even close to rivaling the classic Mario Williams or George Seifert threads.

The hysteria (that I admit gladly partaking in) around Mario Williams was a lot of fun. George hanging out at the airport (or is he?) was hilarious.

This Pettine event is just missing something.

It's missing the airport component - nobody talking about who is coming or going at the Buffalo airport - until that happens it's not a really big event....come on folks, let start posting some tail numbers so we can track flights!

I'm going to to flip this on it's head for a minute.

At what point in time does Pettine owe it to Buffalo to pull his name out? It is already late January! How long should he keep this team on the hook for? At what point in time does he owe it to Buffalo to stop playing the Browns game? Is there a point in time where this happens?

He has to have already realized he isn't there first choice. I'm thinking they are keeping his name out there for leverage.

At what point in time does Pettine owe it to Buffalo to pull his name out? It is already late January! How long should he keep this team on the hook for? At what point in time does he owe it to Buffalo to stop playing the Browns game? Is there a point in time where this happens?

He has to have already realized he isn't there first choice. I'm thinking they are keeping his name out there for leverage.

The "game" is necessary so long as one of the candidates is unavailable due to being in the superbowl.

if interested in reading about the seahawks, this is a good breakdown/introduction to the concepts in their scheme. while they are elite talents, they also have a pretty nifty scheme that goes beyond "lineup and be better than the guy across from you"

http://www.sbnation....efensive-fronts

Quinn isn't mentioned a single time in that article or credited with anything. Looks more likes Carrolls scheme.

I like Pettine and hope he's around next year, but let's not overreact and make him and the Bills 2013 defense out to be the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens.

Buffalo's Defense had a nice year. Pettine was a contributor to that. But our standards and expectations are so low we are making him out to be irreplaceable.

Buffalo ranked:

10th in yards allowed

4th in passing yards allowed

28th in rushing yards allowed

20th in points allowed

In many ways, you could make the argument that the defense was so focused on getting sacks and turnovers that they ended up with glaring holes in the running game and the result was a below average defense in the stat that matters, points allowed.

Again, I want Pettine to stay and I like what the defense has done, but I am not going to lose all hope if he leaves.

It's missing the airport component - nobody talking about who is coming or going at the Buffalo airport - until that happens it's not a really big event....come on folks, let start posting some tail numbers so we can track flights!

I am sad I missed the Mario thread. Sounds like it was a good time!

I am sad I missed the Mario thread. Sounds like it was a good time!

The Mario thread was a great event and was the driving force behind many terms/memories:

1) Ground up and in the freezer

2) Luke Russert's mom

3) Deers

4) Tempo

5) The AV guy that couldn't get the damn microphones to work during the presser

6) F5

honestly, i think in the next day or two would be the professional courtesy to the bills, and even himself. if they cant close a deal with him with atleast 2 interviews and over a week of follow up this late in the process, youd think itd be time to say enough is enough from his side. will that happen? no clue.

can we add Cleveland to the list?

as for a second year in a row it appears they are not getting their dream guy, or even like the 5th guy on the list, i would imagine job security will be hard to sell unless Gase changes his mind (or is just playing coy to keep the distractions away from super bowl prep and has a handshake agreement behind the scenes).