P Harvin vs Cj Spiller. Comparison Trade Value

50 yards out of the backfield primarily on screens and dumpoffs is very different than an outside receiver.

they are both dynamic playmakers, and i didnt, and wont, deny that - i simply think you are pointing towards the wrong comp player based on position, and production at the nfl level. you can definitely point towards trent richardson to discount my theory that backs wont typically go for as much as WRs, but i think hes the exception not the rule, and additionally has the advantage of playing for nearly nothing for a few years being 1 year into a rookie deal where the browns already paid the signing bonus.

yes, he can. in fact, id imagine his ability to keep drew upright is a big part of why drew was willing to campaign for his signing. he might not be a crushing blocker, but he seems to well understand the schemes and assignments - something that we have heard rumors about CJ not being able to get (and part of why i suspect coaches havent split him out to WR either)

on the saints related front - you might see more similarities with a reggie bush who was a back that had proven explosive but had not yet proven that he could be an every down back and was coming up on big pay in his rookie deal when the saints traded him. still not perfect, but i think closer.

(dont get me wrong, i like CJ and want him on this team despite arguing some of his weak points in this thread)

No Saint there no questioning your knowledge on this board and i respect your opinions.But where wrong is that Spiller is just good on screens. I have seen him on occasion getting open deep on fly routes while playing in Chans offense. Fitz missed him on a number of passes.

I do also hope we keep Spiller and if we trade him we need to get bk value. I don't think the Bills will trade him for a couple mid rd pks. The Bills should be approaching Spillers deal thinking bout it as a 2yr deal this yr Cj is only gonna coat us just under 2mil. Next season around 12mil. Over 2 seasons thats about an average of 7mil a yr. I think thats fair considering that if Cj hit the market he would no doubt get that money and even more.

No Saint there no questioning your knowledge on this board and i respect your opinions.But where wrong is that Spiller is just good on screens. I have seen him on occasion getting open deep on fly routes while playing in Chans offense. Fitz missed him on a number of passes.

I do also hope we keep Spiller and if we trade him we need to get bk value. I don't think the Bills will trade him for a couple mid rd pks. The Bills should be approaching Spillers deal thinking bout it as a 2yr deal this yr Cj is only gonna coat us just under 2mil. Next season around 12mil. Over 2 seasons thats about an average of 7mil a yr. I think thats fair considering that if Cj hit the market he would no doubt get that money and even more.

no prob - and i dont mean to say your angle is impossible, i just think it steers a little bit different course (in my opinion being the biggest part).

to the WR part - i dont doubt that hes outrun some guys on straight fly routes but i dont think anyone trusts him with a full route tree, making a hot read on a blitz, reading the coverage etc.... i have no proof of that, but i suspect thats why we havent seen him get the outside work that reggie bush did (who averaged nearly 6 catches a game with marrone at OC in new orleans). As a rookie, bush had 88 catches on 119 targets

just trying to add to the dynamic playmaker discussion with another comp player who happened to be coached by our HC, to try and figure out what we have in spiller as an asset.

Edited by NoSaint

I personally would love to keep Spiller, I think he is a dynamic weapon. One of the best players in the league. The problem is that Marrone & Hackett Offense doesn't seem to fit his skill set.

"One of the best players in the league?" Ya think so? He isn't even the best running back on his team, and his competition is on the wrong side of 30.

Teams do not need to draft running backs early. The Packers took Eddie Lacy with the 29th pick in round 2. Lacy scored 11 rushing TDs, which is one less than Spiller has in his career. In 2013, Lacy had 61 first downs (Spiller had 26). Lacy fumbled 1 time; Spiller had 4.

If a team gives us a 1st and 3rd for Spiller, I am going to run out to the stationary store and purchase a thank you card, and mail it to their GM.

In all, I would rather keep Spiller because I think that he would only bring us perhaps a 3rd round pick in a trade.

Jmo.