Chris Burke: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board 3.0

2014 NFL draft Big Board 3.0

140115124413-2014-nfl-draft-big-board-jadeveon-clowney-single-image-cut.jpg

Critics will knock Sammy Watkins' size (6-foot-1), but he has all the skills needed to succeed in the NFL.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2014 NFL draft hit on Wednesday, with a record number of players opting to skip their final season or two.

The next few months will be the usual whirlwind of activity, from college All-Star Games to the combine to Pro Days, right on up until the draft itself. Here are how the top 40 prospects shake out on the eve of the pre-draft cycle.

10* 140114.04.jpg Greg Robinson Auburn, sophomore (RS) 6-5, 305 OT Robinson did have one costly holding penalty in the BCS title game. Aside from that, he continued to show why some people believe he could be the first offensive lineman taken come May. His potential is through the roof.

Kiper has us taking this kid out of Auburn. I wouldn't be too upset with this considering we do need help on the O line, but we need a big WR to help EJ. Mike Evans all day!

10* 140114.04.jpg Greg Robinson Auburn, sophomore (RS) 6-5, 305 OT Robinson did have one costly holding penalty in the BCS title game. Aside from that, he continued to show why some people believe he could be the first offensive lineman taken come May. His potential is through the roof.

Kiper has us taking this kid out of Auburn. I wouldn't be too upset with this considering we do need help on the O line, but we need a big WR to help EJ. Mike Evans all day!

Looks like there should be a decent pass catcher for us in the second round if we want to go that way. I don't know if Evans will run well enough to get into the top half of the first round, it seems every year these wr's are ranked pretty high and then the draft rolls around and most of them fall to the 20's and early in the second.

he's moved into the top 5 on some draft sites.

Looks like there should be a decent pass catcher for us in the second round if we want to go that way. I don't know if Evans will run well enough to get into the top half of the first round, it seems every year these wr's are ranked pretty high and then the draft rolls around and most of them fall to the 20's and early in the second.

This draft class is very deep with WRs. Best class ever? It certainly looks like it. I've been doing a some research and I'm seeing really good WRs that are ranked beyond the supposed "Top 20" WRs in this class.

Right now, if Watkins isn't there then I'd have no problem with the Bills picking Robinson and then doubling up on the OL with a top OG in the second round. From there I'd take a top inside LB in the 3rd (should be one of the top ones there at that spot). Then I'd go WR in the 4th and 5th rounds and hope you hit on one of them becoming much better NFL WRs than questionable high pick guys like like Evans and Benjamin.

This draft class is very deep with WRs. Best class ever? It certainly looks like it. I've been doing a some research and I'm seeing really good WRs that are ranked beyond the supposed "Top 20" WRs in this class.

Right now, if Watkins isn't there then I'd have no problem with the Bills picking Robinson and then doubling up on the OL with a top OG in the second round. From there I'd take a top inside LB in the 3rd (should be one of the top ones there at that spot). Then I'd go WR in the 4th and 5th rounds and hope you hit on one of them becoming much better NFL WRs than questionable high pick guys like like Evans and Benjamin.

The key wrt adding a receiver is adding a high QUALITY receiver with a skillset they currently lack. They have Stevie and Woods.......quality posession WR's and they have invested in Goodwin and Graham as smallish, defense stretching options. They really don't need to repeat those basic skillsets. To me, Robinson is a duplicate of Stevie and not far out of the range of what Woods brings to the table. He's not a game breaker and he doesn't play very big for a 6'3" WR.

What they lack in order is:

a big TE who can get vertical.

a big WR who can always be open on the sidelines.

a true slot wr like a Welker/Edelman

That slot guy might not be needed in this offense, but one thing is for sure......they need a big target that can get vertical.

The key wrt adding a receiver is adding a high QUALITY receiver with a skillset they currently lack. They have Stevie and Woods.......quality posession WR's and they have invested in Goodwin and Graham as smallish, defense stretching options. They really don't need to repeat those basic skillsets. To me, Robinson is a duplicate of Stevie and not far out of the range of what Woods brings to the table. He's not a game breaker and he doesn't play very big for a 6'3" WR.

What they lack in order is:

a big TE who can get vertical.

a big WR who can always be open on the sidelines.

a true slot wr like a Welker/Edelman

That slot guy might not be needed in this offense, but one thing is for sure......they need a big target that can get vertical.

While I would love for the Bills to get a great TE, I think that I'm more leaning towards wanting the top offensive line in the NFL instead. Or at least attempting something like that.

Jackson and Spiller have been taking too big of hits IMO. I want them to stay healthy and be given lots of big holes to run through.

As for the WRs, I'd replace Graham with Stevie Johnson and use Spiller and Goodwin as the slot receivers with Woods at the other WR spot of course. With a mauling line and speed guys like Spiller and Goodwin just outside being used for quick passes in space and for reverses/fake reverses close to the line of scrimmage, I could see a very productive and exciting Chip Kelly type of offense.

As for needing a guy with a lot of height, I think that is a potential recipe for disaster. You only go after guys with enough height and who you think will be very good at the NFL level. Evans and Benjamin seem like they have rather high bust potential to me. One guy pouts like a baby (I see NFL CBs being able to get in his head) and the other guy drops too many passes. I think there will be better WR prospects available in the 3rd and 4th round than those two.