Vikings hire Cincy DC Mike Zimmer as HC

YoloinOhio

Sounds like he really deserved a job and he paid his dues. Good for him.

At the same time, how much different is he than Frazier? I guess the key is getting a good offensive mind (if I was a 1st year coach, I'd talk to Gailey) and drafting a legit QB.

Yes, he is behind the 8-ball without a QB.

itll be interesting - in the past when his name has come up youd see mentions in articles here or there that some around the NFL thought he was "better suited for coordinator than head coach"

im curious to see if those end up warranted and its a mess or if he generally runs a tight and professional ship

Edited by NoSaint

itll be interesting - in the past when his name has come up youd see mentions in articles here or there that some around the NFL thought he was "better suited for coordinator than head coach"

im curious to see if those end up warranted and its a mess or if he generally runs a tight and professional ship

Obviously I'm an armchair GM, but seems better suited for head coaching position than Jay Gruden IMO.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts about the guy...I know he's highly respected...His players love him...But I'm not sure he's HC material...It's a massive step up for anyone...We'll see I guess... B-)

Obviously I'm an armchair GM, but seems better suited for head coaching position than Jay Gruden IMO.

I would agree, Woodman. I have always admired the work of Zimmer, and his no-BS approach with players is quite rare & something I think is always very respected. If a coach can earn it & command it to just the right degree, that is. To me, Greggo went overboard for that angle here, and obviously failed as a HC.

Judging by the way players seem to have responded thus far to Marrone, I think he also may have 'it'. To me, Marrone and Zimmer are similar in a lot of ways ... no-nonsense, highly respected by former bosses, coaches, players, etc. Hard Knocks only further sold me on Zimmer, and I think what he has done with a knucklehead like Pac-Man Jones is special and rare. No other coach was able to get through to him and get the most out of that talent – Zimmer basically gave him what career he still has.

But the fact is … they will each have a very hard time longer-term if they don’t get the QB position on their team ironed out first.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp