Hakeem Nicks

Spillnation

Perhaps.....if the player was coming off of a sterling year. His 2012 year was injury riddled with horrible numbers (53-692-3TDs). He has now backed that up with another year with injuries.....and apparently doesn't make any effort to catch the ball. He has only had two good years(not great).....with no pro bowls. I tend to think that he has cost himself a fair bit more than 1m(I assume you meant per year). .....but we'll see :)

Of all the FA WRs.....doesn't Decker fit the mold we are after best?

Yea, I just tossed those out as random numbers - I guess the question is what do you think he gets now vs if he had 350 more yards?

Putting more thought into the numbers...

I'd say his absolute floor is Stevie's deal and Greg Jennings as a high end? And I'm not sure if a GM that falls in love with 2011-2012 discounts him for 2013 as badly as we do as fans. Who knows though. Every time I feel like I have a decent grasp, I get surprised by a crazy deal or reminded how much info behind the scenes we don't have (ie his true medical history or much about his personality/reputation).

Edited by NoSaint

This is not the guy you trust with a fat contract, and seems to be the kind of guy who will resent not getting top dollar. He's gone way downhill the past two years.

The Giants are a smart organization and they knew a year ago that Victor Cruz was worth the LT money and Hakeem Nicks was not.

I agree on James Jones over Hakeem. I wouldnt go there for either, however. The Bills should stay the course and draft a WR at #9 or trade down and still draft one of the top three - Watkins, Evans or Benjamin. I suspect they will target Benjamin due to the tie in with EJ. HEy, why not. Benjamin is ridiculously big for his age and position.

I would rather sign a veteran WR who can come in and help the team immediately, instead of drafting a WR who is going to need time to transition to the NFL.

I like Sammy Watkins and I think he can become a very good WR in the NFL, but I think the Bills have more dire needs to address in the draft.

My fear with James Jones and Eric Decker is the fact that they might just be average WR's benefitting from HOF QB's and superior receivers opposite them. Think Alvin Harper, Peerless Price etc...

A valid point, but I think either Jones or Decker would be very good upgrades at our WR position.

Riley Cooper would be the best fit for us, he wont cost much 4-5 mil per. He's a big wr 6´3 215lbs and he is entering his prime.

I believe Riley fits in to the value players that Wally is looking for . He would definitely be my selection

I was not aware that Cooper was a free agent.

I would be fine with the Bills taking a chance with him.

Although with Jeremy Maclin being a "?" due to injuries, the Eagles may do all they can to keep Cooper.

A few years ago, I'd have agreed. Seems like he's always hurt. I'd pass considering what he'll likely demand in order to sign with buffalo

Yes I would have liked to see him here too. Seemed the perfect tangibles we need.

I will guess that someone will pay him though .

One of the keener minds here mentioned Panthers. I can see that. from both sides

Nicks has been bad the last few years, with injury having some contribution to that. However, right before that he was playing at the level of a top 5 WR (right behind megaton, Larry Fitz). During those playoff runs, he was dominant and I'm suprised his career has turned the way it did.

Being that he's only 25 and he fits exactly what we want (big WR, huge hands, has shown 1 status dominance), I would love to see him signed at the right price as long as his health checks out (past foot problems).

Just writing off a player who has shown ability at the highest level is a decision-making error. This can be a potential opportunity. As a matter of fact, I would favor attacking a perceived weakness with redundancy. Without getting in to a lot of decision-making philosophy, there is a fair amount of research stating that much of the risk today is self-inflicted. Over-optimization or efficiency creates unnecessary risk ,in the fact ,that all your eggs are in one basket.

In the Nicks case, at the right cost, he could provide upside. Hedged with a top draft choice(Watkins, Evans, Benjamin, Ebron etc.), and this approach could prove successful for the Bills. The rest is good coaching, and good fortune (no guarantees). Some of the better organizations, ie NE seem to approach problems in this manner. The "ALL IN" approach is a long-term recipe for disaster. The other approach I am talking about requires more patience.

Edited by 75Bills

From what I hear its a lock he signs with carolina. Born here, college nearby, ex giants gm running the team etc.

You mean how it was a "lock" that Bill Cowher was going to be head coach at Carolina because his daughter went to school nearby? I don't see it as a lock at all.

Instead of drafting a wide receiver what free agents intrigue you? I think Nicks would be a big upgrade over Stevie. The Giants are definitely parting with him. How realistic would it be for Buffalo to become his landing spot and what do you think it would take? Are there any other free agents you'd consider over drafting a wr?

I like the idea of picking up a FA wide receiver a lot, and using the #1 pick on a WLB (maybe even MLB and move Kiko to WLB). Buy why over Stevie? How about with Stevie instead so we aren't just filling up a barrel with a hole at the bottom? How about Darrius Heyward-Bey or Josh Cribbs? Those guys always impressed me as having big play potential.