Soccer - Michael Bradley transfers from Roma to Toronto FC

Cugalabanza

The transfer isn't indicative of MLS' quality. Bradley, as you noted, is getting $6.5 million/year; that is more than five times what he was making at Roma. He's barely played this season; Florenzi is as good in the box-to-box CM role. Toronto offered far more to Bradley, and Roma, than any European team would have.

Be cautiously optimistic about what this means. Bradley is a very good player, but it's not like Strootman, Florenzi, or Pjanic- who have been excellent this season- moved from Roma to Toronto.

The transfer isn't indicative of MLS' quality. Bradley, as you noted, is getting $6.5 million/year; that is more than five times what he was making at Roma. He's barely played this season; Florenzi is as good in the box-to-box CM role. Toronto offered far more to Bradley, and Roma, than any European team would have.

Be cautiously optimistic about what this means. Bradley is a very good player, but it's not like Strootman, Florenzi, or Pjanic- who have been excellent this season- moved from Roma to Toronto.

Roma has a crazy wealth of midfielders. Maybe Bradley is not quite at the level of those guys, I can't say--I don't see much Serie A. But he's pretty damn good. He's probably the best USA player and the most important to their 2014 WC. I think it's good that he'll get regular playing time. And it's not my money, so I don't care if MLS is overpaying him. I see it as an investment in the continued growth and credibility of MLS and so not necessarily a true measure of Bradley's worth. That's ok with me.

Roma has a crazy wealth of midfielders. Maybe Bradley is not quite at the level of those guys, I can't say--I don't see much Serie A. But he's pretty damn good. He's probably the best USA player and the most important to their 2014 WC. I think it's good that he'll get regular playing time. And it's not my money, so I don't care if MLS is overpaying him. I see it as an investment in the continued growth and credibility of MLS and so not necessarily a true measure of Bradley's worth. That's ok with me.

I'm sorry Bradley left. He's a marine . Never complained and always did what was asked of him.

He's more of a vice De Rossi but was used often in the place of Pjanic (who was pushed up to replace Totti during his injury) and the midfield lacked any creativity because it's not his strong suit to create but more as a defensive midfielder.

I disagree about Florenzi, he hasn't played midfield all season. The reason he left is because Radja Nainngolan will be the main rotation midfielder. De Rossi/Strootman/Pjanic/Nainngolan are better than Bradley.

Edited by meazza

http://www.romanews.us/2014/01/13/michael-bradley-unveiled-at-toronto-fc-the-best-player-i-have-played-with-has-to-be-francesco-totti-photos/

- ”The best player I have played with has to be Francesco Totti,” American international and former Roma midfielder Michael Bradley told during his first press conference at Toronto FC alongside English striker Jermain Defoe.

He's the most critical usmnt player and it's awesome he will be playing in the mls. The new mls tv deal, rumored to be 70 million a season for just regular season espn and fox games, will give teams even more money.

I don't think it's good for his personal development as a player simply because he lost out on the ability to play against the best in the world (assuming Roma qualifies for Champions League) but it's good for the league, that I agree.

Even with De Rossi, Nainngolan, Pjanic and Strootman, Bradley would have gotten some decent playing time next year. He actually played quite a bit this year when Totti was hurt for the month of November and Pjanic would be pushed up as a false 9 and Bradley would play in his spot . He did not do well in that role simply because he's not meant to be a regista but it still showed that Garcia had a lot of faith in him.

Edited by meazza